• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Exhibition" Pictures for Discussion and Questions Fetterman’s “The Power of Photography”

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is #326 of the series by Peter Fetterman.

BEA3D5CB-4A38-44B4-9687-7D96A726046B.jpeg
THE POWER OF PHOTOGRAPHY

I hang onto shapes, the curve of the neck, the folds of the dress, the gesture of the hand, the balance of the hips. The model moves slowly, she suggests, she tries to understand what I can’t explain, she tries to play a part I can’t follow. I hear myself saying, “No….no ,do nothing… So again she waits, she stares at mesh sees my panic, I feel I’m letting her down, I feel guilty: I press the button, I say it’s great. I pretend once, twice, thirty-six times.. I hope and I begin again. Time goes blight falls, I lose confidence. I don’t want to be a photographer anymore, but I keep on. Then all of a sudden, but not always, something changes, I can’t say why, maybe I am just in the right place at the right time, or maybe I believe in it. However, for a split second, I see a sparkle of beauty passing by or is it simply the difference or the surprise…? However everything goes so quickly now within that stillness and I am carried away and at last, I like what I see and I can’t stop finding it, then losing it, and all day long I’ll keep on because it once existed.

~ Sarah Moon

95FFBC3F-ED2B-48A8-A259-D5117F08AB68.jpeg

Dear Friends,​

Well this is almost a master class in how to create a masterpiece. I have never quite read such articulate words about process. But why should I be surprised? Sarah is a master photographer and has produced such an extraordinary body of work in this most difficult of genres to really excel at, to carve out your own signature. Sarah is a supreme seductress. You cannot help but fall in love over and over again.

For questions or inquiries, please contact peter@peterfetterman.com.

Peace and love,

Peter Fetterman

334b0a524e55d57defeed6f8b7379845.jpg

Asher Kelman

I have picked Peter Fetterman’s choices as I have visited his exhibitions over decades and he has consistently curated the finest works.

Everything chosen has lasting value.

i promised myself to share his selections with you but like many responsibilities and great ideas other matters distracted me!

I imagine because she was a model herself, she truly has a sensibility towards the shapes created by the models wearing fashion. She also have this softened approach which make the work very feminine, I find. Like oil paintings. Works by Matisse perhaps, where the backgrounds are quite flat and do not interfere with the model, yet still quite feminine. It's very different and her work is definitely unique, being that you would always recognize her work. I had never heard of her, so thank you for the introduction. :) Maggie

Asher Kelman

I am delighted to see you like this work. I will post more from the Fetterman Gallery. I hope you will be as moved and inspired as I am!

Asher

Asher Kelman

THE POWER OF PHOTOGRAPHY
Presence is something attained, not given by age.

~ William Clift

I feel there is something unexplored about woman that only a woman can explore.

~ Georgia O’Keeffe

69645B8D-BC6B-44D6-9A06-2BAC04523DD9.jpeg

I hope you enjoy this choice of this portrait of an iconic artist we all cherish.

Asher​

Asher Kelman

Look at all the asymmetry here. The extraordinary extra space above above here: who does that?

The placement of her to the left right near a dark vertical shadow.

But it all works so well. She is given territory over which here small figure with here tightly woven hair bun and lined face dominates! All this is unexpected and masterful.

I would love to see the original as I can’t imagine my small jpg hardly does justice the details in the deep blacks of her jacket.

I commend this for your consideration and hope it’s uplifting and awesome to you too!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Please remember, these are for sale. You might be advising someone or consulting or fall in love with a print yourself!

But I personally have zero connection with the gallery.

Asher

I hope you enjoy this choice of this portrait of an iconic artist we all cherish.

Asher​

1DAE1AA2-5B1B-401A-9F20-E360BF214A4E.jpeg

I think the space above is to make a point about presence as even with the space above she still fills the image.

We are not talking about any little old lady; Georgia O'Keefe, was a wonderful artist and a free spirit. She was also the first female solo artist to have a retrospective of her work at Moma. We know her mostly for her beautiful flower paintings, but she painted much more and diverse subjects, and after losing much of her sight, she started to sculpt. How fabulous to have been able to meet her and take her photograph! :) Maggie

James Lemon

I really appreciate this collection of work! These are pictures that have the soul of each photographer clearly reflected in the images. I am no expert but have been making and studying pictures since I was a small boy. I find them refreshing when compared to some of the internet hero's out there who in some cases are very well renowned but are more concerned with their bottom line. I wont mention any names but some have cult followings and others offer courses on how to take WOW pictures like themselves. I will admit that many of the pictures that I am referring to do have that initial wow factor to them and are beautiful pictures but only hold my attention for a short period of time. I view them as if I were looking at pictures of household appliances or pictures of fast food burgers. They just don't have any soul compared to this Iconic collection presented.

Asher Kelman

104b9bf55791c655c964a5415deba89b.jpg
THE POWER OF PHOTOGRAPHY
I took Alexey Brodovitch’s course at the New School. He taught me something that I’ve always remembered. After we did the initial assignment he contradicted what he said the first week and I said ok. The next week he contradicted what he had said the second week. We went through 10 weeks of contradiction and I thought maybe he was drunk. At the end he said “You may think I’ve contradicted myself, but there’s no one way to do anything."

~ Jerry Schatzberg

BD4F4266-254C-4DEC-9D42-7BFDF6B725AC.jpeg
Dear Friends,​

Brodovitch always encouraged his students to get out on the streets of New York and observe life. I don’t think there is any other city in the world that life plays out so continuously. Whenever I am visiting there is always a human drama to observe at every moment of the day or night. There is just no way to ignore it.

Just like this little scenario, watching these characters who seem to have just popped out of a Marty Scorsese movie.

A great example of New York Street Photography.

Peace and love,

Peter Fetterman

334b0a524e55d57defeed6f8b7379845.jpg

Asher Kelman

104b9bf55791c655c964a5415deba89b.jpg

THE POWER OF PHOTOGRAPHY

Light is the source of everything. It is what makes things visible to the eye. It is also what holds a rock together. My thinking has been deeply affected by the belief that all things are some form of radiant energy. Light is perhaps the most profound truth in the universe.

~ Wynn Bullock

2717BB28-C089-4587-9B1B-99DF70531A1F.jpeg

Dear Friends,

I find myself being drawn more and more to nature these days. It is so important to tune out all the noise we are constantly subjected to, literally and figuratively, both for our physical and mental health.

No one appreciated nature and its restorative powers more so than Wynn Bullock. When I look at one of his lyrical images I feel I am standing next to him and he helps me see and feel what he is experiencing. He is a poet of light.

Peace and love,

Peter Fetterman

Asher Kelman

He grew up in Pasadena, just north of my location in Los Angeles! He pursued music, sports, and even law, but his creative work was in photography.

34F1575F-1F23-46C4-9C73-49A7668BA256.jpeg

You might already have several of his works in Steichen’s amazing book, “Family of Man”!

Read more here.