• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Finding Wild Flowers! Fabulous and delicate v. stubborn invaders.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In a short visit to S.F. I was determined to get together with Mike spinak a dedicated and accomplished nature photographer. He has little known places that he watches for new plants and flowers. He is part of an informal network that let like-minded photographers in on secrets of rare flowers. There is always the danger that someone might rip out the precious bloom or trample neighboring young plants.

So I was so happy to be able to squeeze in a micro shoot. I picked him up, 15 minutes later we arrived at a quiet private road. We saw mostly yellow flowers. Mike searched around and found several more species. I used Mike's 50 2.5 EF macro lens and crouched on the ground took as many pictures I could manage in a few minutes and we were off.

Identify these two purple flowers and then we'll all add more!

_MG_9904Edited4OPF.jpg

Purple # 1

_MG_9917_Edited.jpg

Purple # 2

Also are they native species or invaders? Have you seen them this year?

Asher

Also are they native species or invaders? Have you seen them this year?

It is hard to say without my books and I am not at home. I will see if I can find them when I get home but SF is at the absolute extreme of the areas my books cover as then tend to be Pacific Northwest books (SF to the Aleutians along the coast/West of the Sierras/Cascades).

enjoy,

Sean

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the comments. The first blossom was less than 3/4" in size! Maybe not more than 1/2"

Asher

Thanks for the comments. The first blossom was less than 3/4" in size! Maybe not more than 1/2"

Hi Asher,

What type of environment were these found in?

• A coniferous forest?
  • Oak woods, rocky slopes, or brushy areas?
  • A wet place?
  • Was this a backyard, vacant lot, or roadside?
Do you have other shots of the specimens?

thanks,

Sean

Asher Kelman

Sean,

Briefly for now, the flowers were to the side of a provate road 1 hour south of San Fransisco in the grounds owned by Stanford University. The trees are not conifers. The ground is moist nbut not wet.

I'll look for more images and post other plants we found nearby.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Sean,

Briefly for now, the flowers were to the side of a provate road 1 hour south of San Fransisco in the grounds owned by Stanford University. The trees are not conifers. The ground is moist but not wet.

I'll look for more images and post other plants we found nearby.

Asher

Asher Kelman

This flower is rather uncommon. Can you name it?

Now, Mike Spinak, told me this was a special treat?

Can you name it?

Also what reference book do you use?

_MG_9912sRGB4OPF.jpg

This flower is so delicate. If one is not aware of it and has a keen eye, it could be unseen by man! This is a modest plant but very beautiful and ethereal to look upon. This flower is something that Oberon would have liked!

Asher

Asher

Mike Spinak

pro member
It was fun shooting with you, short though it was.

I liked seeing you lay on your tum on the ground to get the shot! ...a sure sign of a dedicated photographer... few are willing to do it. (Have I ever mentioned my "first rule of close-up photography"?)

I can't tell for sure what the first one is from that shot... perhaps a very sparse specimen of purple Chinese houses. The second one down is an elegant Clarkia. The third picture shows globe lillies. They're native to this area.

I use lots of reference books... too many to even begin a comprehensive list. The Jepson Manual of California Plants; Botany in a Day; all the usual ID guide book series (Golden, Roger Phillips, Peterson's, etc.).