• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First day in Europe. Windmills

Robert Watcher

First day in Europe. Flight through the night, from Canada to Iceland and then on to Amsterdam, resulted in Anne and I seeing a short stint of the Northern lights as well as the current active volcano in Iceland —- but only through our plane window while flying.

We settled into our hotel room for the night, about 20 minutes north of Amsterdam, and in the bitter cold, rainy and windy evening walked across the bridge to the small windmill village. Lots of different angles - but I like this one.

IMG_2493.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
First day in Europe. Flight through the night, from Canada to Iceland and then on to Amsterdam, resulted in Anne and I seeing a short stint of the Northern lights as well as the current active volcano in Iceland —- but only through our plane window while flying.

We settled into our hotel room for the night, about 20 minutes north of Amsterdam, and in the bitter cold, rainy and windy evening walked across the bridge to the small windmill village. Lots of different angles - but I like this one.

View attachment 11593
I have always wanted to visit such a village. I’ve heard there are canal and riverboat trips through such villages!

It’s so good to see pictures!

Is it still more efficient than getting power from electric motors?

Asher

Jerome Marot

The historical windmills in the Netherlands were built to pump water. Large parts of the country are polders built under water level. Would the Dutch stop pumping, the polders would flood again: water seeps from the water table.

While the historical windmills are kept as landmarks, all pumping is electric nowadays. But because the Netherlands produce about 20% of their electricity by wind power (with a planned increase to 75% by 2030), it is ultimately the wind at work anyway.

Robert Watcher

A self portrait of Anne and I halfway (Checkpoint Charlie) across Markersaarddijk, travelling between large body of water north east of Amsterdam

IMG_2746.jpeg

Robert Watcher

Wow, you look like a couple in their 40,s, 😂

That’s a glorious beard!

Asher
Well that is a nice compliment considering we aren’t far of 70 andl long past 40 LOL.

Absolutely loving the little Mini Cooper rental for getting around the very narrow streets of Holland. Hoping it helps with gas bill, being gas is around 2 Euros per litre —- so that’s around 3 Canadian dollars per litre. And we thought our $1.65 per litre CAD when we left home, was high.

I am enjoying my beard. My daughter says in makes my fat neck look thinner. My wife likes it, so looks like it will be staying for a while.

Robert Watcher

After popping into Germany this morning and then a long drive across country by way of Gouda, to Leiden —- we got to enjoy a beautiful evening with perfect weather. So glad we made the last minute decision to stay in Leiden for a night before heading on to Delft and Rotterdam and then on to England in a few days.

High on Anne’s priority list, was eating at a restaurant on a boat, in a Dutch Canal. That happened tonight, along with taking in some stunning scenes as the sun set.

IMG_2752.jpeg

IMG_2751.jpeg

IMG_2754.jpeg

IMG_2755.jpeg

IMG_2756.jpeg

IMG_2757.jpeg

Robert Watcher

Anne was determined to see rows and rows of coloured flowers in the fields of the Netherlands. We headed off on some back roads and she experienced sensory overload.

IMG_2776.jpeg

IMG_2777.jpeg

Wonderful photos, I can't wait to see. I have a friend who is leaving tomorrow for eastern Europe starting in Romania. Looks like a wonderful time of the year to be there! Keep them coming!

Asher Kelman

A7FA071E-3016-4B7D-AB21-D2B051160A32.jpeg

This is overwhelming and iconic!

Imagine, they have a routine scheme for harvesting thrm without damaging them bloom and distributing them likely around the globe!

Asher

Robert Watcher

View attachment 11632

This is overwhelming and iconic!

Imagine, they have a routine scheme for harvesting thrm without damaging them bloom and distributing them likely around the globe!

Asher

You know Asher, I have been wondering how on earth they get the flowers into florist stores so quickly globally. I asked Anne yesterday - and the well researched person that she is, informed me that the vast majority of flowers in the Netherlands just go to waste.

The farmers are primarily interested in harvesting the bulbs after the tulips, daffodils, hyacinths etc mature. Those bulbs are sold globally to growers in other countries. Makes sense when I hear that.

In fact when I was taking pictures of the workers in the fields, they were not picking flowers - but working on the base of the flowers with their tools. As well we stopped at a farm with rows and rows of flowers in the fields, but they were only selling bulbs using a QR code, based on the flower types on display.

So the flowers themselves provide benefit to the economy of the area through tourism to see them. The Netherlands has the perfect climate and soil for growing tulips.

James Lemon

The historical windmills in the Netherlands were built to pump water. Large parts of the country are polders built under water level. Would the Dutch stop pumping, the polders would flood again: water seeps from the water table.

While the historical windmills are kept as landmarks, all pumping is electric nowadays. But because the Netherlands produce about 20% of their electricity by wind power (with a planned increase to 75% by 2030), it is ultimately the wind at work anyway.

Renewable energy from wind and solar make our electricity grids less reliable because of intermittency and I think most people realize this. However what they don't take into consideration is the fact that wind and solar have to be connected to the power grid with power converters. This makes the electricity produced match the frequency of the rest of the grid.

The second biggest issue with wind and solar is that it weakens the electricity grids inertia reducing its ability to withstand disruptions. These are facts that most folk are aware of but what doesn't get discussed is land management practises and the effects it has on our Biodiversity. I cant image much growing underneath solar panels where its covered in gravel ?

Robert Watcher

This is my kind of car I have been dreaming of owning one for years.

I never ever dreamed of having one —— but now that I had one - I WANT ONE WHEN I GET HOME LOL

I love the style, cool factor, colour of this one —— as well as the way that MINI gets lasered onto the ground from the door handles, when it’s dark out…

IMG_2832.jpeg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

How did you prepare for the shots. For example, the iconic bridge with its flying cables?

Did you arrange your travel itenerary to be able to get to see such a sight?

Asher

Robert Watcher

How did you prepare for the shots. For example, the iconic bridge with its flying cables?

Did you arrange your travel itenerary to be able to get to see such a sight?

Asher

All planned out, but adaptable to any changes or hiccups if needed.

Google search and YouTube played a big role in preparing our trip over the past couple of months. We decided on 3 or 4 features, sites or styles of photography, sometimes based on a city we wanted to stay in —— and Saved their Google Maps locations to a List (folder) on Maps we name European Vacation. Both Anne and me had this Shared list on our devices, to add places we wanted to go to or see.

Then using bookings.com or airbnb.com we found a room to stay in that would put us in walking distance or easy access. We couldn’t have made it around the country so effortlessly without Google Maps talking us through every turn to our destination.

Rotterdam was our last city choice as we had to drop off our rental car after 9 days in The Netherlands and have access to the subway to get us to the Hook of Holland to catch the 6-1/2 hour ferry ride across the North Sea to England the next day (today).

The three places on our agenda to see in Rotterdam, were the bridge nicknamed the Swan (4), the very unique Market building (2) and the strange Cube Houses (3). Our Citizen M hotel (1) room made access easy to all. I had in my mind roughly how I wanted to photograph them. Of course I often noticed other things along the way and snapped them for extra content.

Anne’s agenda for Europe was pretty simple. She wanted to see and if possible stand in flower fields and see working windmills in Holland —- and she wanted to have a beer in each country we are visiting (The Netherlands, Germany, England and Belgium), and put her feet in the waters of the North Sea and a Dutch Canal. Doesn’t take much to keep her happy. She’s batting 100% so far LOL

IMG_3026.jpeg

IMG_3027.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

Very unique structure in Rotterdam, Netherlands. The Markthal (Market Hall) contains the world’s largest mural on its inside walls and ceiling. Packed with food venders providing international cuisine. Housing apartments and offices with windows inside and outside. Extending 5 floors below the main floor. It is quite the site to behold and experience.

IMG_2872.jpeg

IMG_2869.jpeg

IMG_2870.jpeg

IMG_2871.jpeg

IMG_2868.jpeg

Asher Kelman

Anne and Robert,

You have given us a wonderful European trip so far and we can’t weight till you brave the North Sea and get to the U.K.

Thanks so much for this vivid visit you are allowing us to enjoy with you both!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Renewable energy from wind and solar make our electricity grids less reliable because of intermittency and I think most people realize this. However what they don't take into consideration is the fact that wind and solar have to be connected to the power grid with power converters. This makes the electricity produced match the frequency of the rest of the grid.

Yes, particularly for solar panels which produce direct current. One of the major manufacturers of converters for the home market in Europe is based in the Netherlands, BTW (Victron Energy).

The second biggest issue with wind and solar is that it weakens the electricity grids inertia reducing its ability to withstand disruptions. These are facts that most folk are aware of but what doesn't get discussed is land management practises and the effects it has on our Biodiversity. I cant image much growing underneath solar panels where its covered in gravel ?

I don't understand what you mean by grid inertia. As to solar panels, they obviously cast shade and plants don't grow well in the shade. When panels are installed on the ground, depending on the kind of ground, grass may still grow under them and needs to be regularly trimmed. I have not seen gravel being installed under solar panels.

Jerome Marot

I love the style, cool factor, colour of this one —— as well as the way that MINI gets lasered onto the ground from the door handles, when it’s dark out…

It is not a laser, but a small projector. It works just the same as the slide projectors we used for our photographs 40 years ago, except that the light source is a LED.

Robert Watcher

We have never seen anything like the number of bikes being ridden all over the countryside —- by young and old.

Heading into Rotterdam Central Station yesterday - thousands of bicycles were stacked one on top of the other by riders leaving them there until their return. Incredible

IMG_2877.jpeg