• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Fish?

Chris Calohan

This is what 41 straight days of rain does to a semi-normal person.

9484200230_d4f6d2ee09_b.jpg

Nature's Sense of Humor: Chris Calohan​

Chris Calohan

Ehhh, I think the shoreline is a decent relativity for scale. And anyway, how many matchbook sized logs have you seen washed up on a beach?

A comment was made on another forum that everything had to exhibit each of the tonality ranges a photo has to offer...and while this one does in its own sense, it is the fudging in each zone that creates the abstraction of an otherwise bland scene. Do you agree or...?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ehhh, I think the shoreline is a decent relativity for scale. And anyway, how many matchbook sized logs have you seen washed up on a beach?

No complaints by me, just that iot could be massive or small.

A comment was made on another forum that everything had to exhibit each of the tonality ranges a photo has to offer...and while this one does in its own sense, it is the fudging in each zone that creates the abstraction of an otherwise bland scene. Do you agree or...?

That makes some sense, however, it's up to us to decide if that general rule actually makes sense for our specific needs. Some objects might only need pure white or black, for example, a hole in a wall is pure black.

Asher

Antonio Correia

I was happily surprised by the excellent quality of this image Chris !

If this is the result of "41 straight days of rain does to a semi-normal person" then I ask you Chris: when are going to have again that period ?

:)

This is what 41 straight days of rain does to a semi-normal person.

Hi Chris,

I'm known as a stickler for post-processing perfection (because I'm convinced that it will avoid detraction from the creative intent). I experience the edge halos as very detracting ...

Since I don't know what the original image looks like, it's hard to suggest an alternative approach, should you even be interested. If there are stark color differences, then a masking based on that may improve the effect, without the distractions.

I apologize if brutally honest is not appreciated (I know most Americans don't appreciate criticism, where most 'Brits' convert it into understatement Art).

Cheers,
Bart

Chris Calohan

I am pretty thick skinned. First time I noticed I missed a mask on that upper pole...easy fix. I felt it was a bit too dark and at the last minute added a dodge mask...arrrggghhh, I hate it when I do that.

There are no really strong colours in the image with the exception of the almost blue rocks that make up the beach. The logs themselves are almost all one tonal value with just a tiny bit of differentiation. I was very much drawn to the "fish" or "snake head" as someone else named it and that's what prompted the somewhat noir-ish look.

Thanks for the comments as all ere helpful in one respect or the other.