• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Focus screen ?

Don Shreve

pro member
Can someone tell me if the foucing screens from the 1D series will fit in the 5D?
Also, how about the RC80 cable release thing?
Last, what's the big difference between the 550EX & the 580EX speedlights?
Thanks

Stan Jirman

The focusing screens will NOT fit across.

The cable release will.

The 580 is a bit stronger, but mainly it's "newer" - to me, the biggest plus is that it recycles much faster, and has longer battery life (I have both). There are a number of other small differences but I don't remember them anymore, as I consider them irrelevant.

One annoying thing about the 580 is the shape of the head - it's not a nice rectangular block but rather bulbous. This makes it virtually impossible to attach a Better Beamer to it, or even a slap-on diffuser. I have one of these big "bowl" diffusers (forgot brand, was a gift) and it is a huge pain to stick on it, and then it wobbles around. I have no idea what they were thinking when they designed the head.

Daniel Harrison

pro member
The 580 aslo accounts for digital crop factoring in it's zoom head. This way less light is wasted. so it knows if your camera has a 1.6 1.3 or FF camera and adjusts the spread of light accordingly. with your 550 it will assume you have a FF camea and cover a FF FOV with light. In practicality I doubt it makes much (if any) difference.

brogala

Unless I'm mistaken, there is an updated model of the better beamer for the 580 and it fits better (tighter) that the version I had for the 550. They can be found at naturescapes.net.

Diane Fields

Don Shreve said:
Can someone tell me if the foucing screens from the 1D series will fit in the 5D?
Also, how about the RC80 cable release thing?
Last, what's the big difference between the 550EX & the 580EX speedlights?
Thanks

Though I haven't bought a screen yet, there are specific focusing screens for the 5D. Sorry if this is a plug for B & H, but only place I could think of that had the whole list http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...earch&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=Canon+5D+focusing+screens

Then there is a 3rd party screen http://www.brightscreen.com/styles.html

Sid Jervis

pro member
brogala said:
Unless I'm mistaken, there is an updated model of the better beamer for the 580 and it fits better (tighter) that the version I had for the 550. They can be found at naturescapes.net.
You are not mistaken, there is a new model, it is the FX3 version that you need for the 580 EX.