• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Focus Stack with the D850

Chris Calohan

8 shot stack experiment to see how well it would do....I'm pretty impressed even though it is not a particularly exciting scene. It is sharp however from the tiny leaves in the foreground to the very back trees.

Doug Kerr

8 shot stack experiment to see how well it would do....I'm pretty impressed even though it is not a particularly exciting scene. It is sharp however from the tiny leaves in the foreground to the very back trees.
<snip>

A nice result. It's really handy to be able to do this in-camera.

Do we have fair control over the details (number of frames, the focus "step", etc.)?

Best regards,

Doug

Chris Calohan

We do indeed and nearly unlimited as to frames and steps but the camera regardless of your input on the number of frames will adjust only as needed. I had this set for 35 frames and it only shot 8.

Chris Calohan

Requires a tripod. I shoot mirror up so as not to have any shutter slap with no time intervals between exposures. You only hear the shutter open, then close but can count the exposures each time the exposure light flashes.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I wonder how many cameras have this amazing function built in. Are you able to program the number of shots. What about better control and doing exposure bracketing as well!

Perhaps this requires a laptop or smart phone hook up?

Asher

Chris Calohan

Don't think it will take bracketing though have not tried it and not sure I would want to on 8+ exposure frames at 47.8MP per image...that's a lot of computing power needed.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think it would be reasonable for landscapes and well-paid architecture with high dynamic range.

I use 100 to 500 images for my largest architectural shoots. So the number of images doesn’t bother me. I just go to bed.

If the scene includes a bright area and dark areas, as it often does, then stitching with bracketed exposure just multiplied the number nova modest 3 fold. So instead of 15 images one has 45 and that is not bad at all, but the payoff can be spectacular.

Of course when better have a damn good reason to increase one’s work load. For an insect or other macro with flash, it would seem quite foolish to do exposure bracketing, of course!

Asher