• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Forum Software Update! Please Report and Anomolies

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Xenforo performed an update to our software platform. We might find oddities as we are using a 3rd party design template.

So please let me know of any persistent strange formatting or oddities that have appeared today.

Enjoy!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Xenforo performed an update to our software platform. We might find oddities as we are using a 3rd party design template.

So please let me know of any persistent strange formatting or oddities that have appeared today.
Some initial testing here suggests that maybe the problem I had repeatedly reported, in which the spell checker for the composition screen worked oddly, may have been reduced in its incidence.

I never took the time earlier to completely characterize the anomaly, and so I was not able to force it to appear at will. Accordingly, it is hard for me to determine whether its incidence has in fact been reduced.

I will continue to look into the matter.

Well, speak of you-know who, I just had an incidence.

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi, Asher,

Some initial testing here suggests that maybe the problem I had repeatedly reported, in which the spell checker for the composition screen worked oddly, may have been reduced in its incidence.

I never took the time earlier to completely characterize the anomaly, and so I was not able to force it to appear at will. Accordingly, it is hard for me to determine whether its incidence has in fact been reduced.

I will continue to look into the matter.

Well, speak of you-know who, I just had an incidence.

Best regards,

Doug
Doug, isn't it a preference set within your browser?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,
Doug, isn't it a preference set within your browser?

I think this spell checker is a creature of the forum software, but that might not be so.

If it is a preference setting in my browser, might the choices be "work sensibly" and "do not work sensibly"?

Perhaps you could show me a screen shot of the pertinent preference setting on your browser.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

Well, I do find that if I turn off the spell checker in my browser (Firefox), there is no spell check functionality on the forum. So either the spell checker I get in the forum is the one in my browser, or else the forum software is set to disable its own spell checker if that functionality is turned off in the browser.

And indeed, the provisions for, for example, adding a spelling dictionary when composing on the forum are the same as I have for doing that when composing in a text box presented by the browrser in other situations. And that indeed draws upon the Mozilla "language packs" dialog.

In any case, I am fairly certain that I have never encountered the anomaly I often encounter when composing on the forum when entering text in a text box presented by the browser in any other situation.

So it is indeed a mystery!

It may have to do with how the forum composition screen "employs" the browser's spell checking facility (just as many applications employ many Windows facilities).

Thanks for your thoughts on this mystery!

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

Indeed, the spell check functionality in the forum compose window uses the personal spelling dictionary used in Firefox, the browser I use.

This of course does not at all explain why, only when in the forum software, I get this anomaly in the spell checker.

I realized that have not actually described that anomaly in this thread. It is this:

Sometimes, when there are two or more spelling errors (not yet corrected) in a paragraph, the wiggly red line indicating words with questionable spelling extends under the entire paragraph

Various things will clear this. Most often, if I delete any character in the paragraph (and I can then put it back), the phenomenon is cleared.

Sorry if I was snarky in responding to your first observation about this. I was just overcome by administrative foolishness on various other fronts!

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Interesting post by the boss of the DashCam forum (!) on 2018.02.09:

>>Spell check is a known bug with Xenforo when using Firefox. If you press enter after the line it should correct. I imagine it will be fixed eventually.

The thing about hitting enter after the line (I assume this refers to a line that exhibits the anomaly I described) works to clear the anomaly.

So thanks, DashCamMan.

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Interesting post by the boss of the DashCam forum (!) on 2018.02.09:

>>Spell check is a known bug with Xenforo when using Firefox. If you press enter after the line it should correct. I imagine it will be fixed eventually.

The thing about hitting enter after the line (I assume this refers to a line that exhibits the anomaly I described) works to clear the anomaly.

So thanks, DashCamMan.

Best regards,

Doug
I was just about to ask you to try with another browser… !
Mais maintenant nous savons que ce n'est pas la peine… Espérons que Xenforo corrigera ce bug bientôt…

I have struggled to post both in the IR /UV forum and in a privat message.
I get the below error message each time.

Error message OPF.JPG

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Simply close that window on your browser and open a new one! The error will be cleaned up!

I am sorry it occasionally happens.

Asher

Simply close that window on your browser and open a new one! The error will be cleaned up!

I am sorry it occasionally happens.

Asher
I have done that repeatedly on different occasions for several days. Yesterday the site seemed to be down again. I got server timeout messages several times. I even tested with another browser (Firefox is my standard, tested with new Edge). To be honest, I am getting to the point where I am considering just forgetting about posting here. (I can obviously post in this forum, but when I try posting in one of my "own" threads, I get the error message repeatedly.)