• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Fun with a wasp

Michael Nagel

On our hike today, we had a rest in the sun. There was a wasp also interested by the beer - here is the result:

A little try on the foam:

That was good, but a cleaning is needed:

Whats next?

This wasp was not aggressive at all and pretty careful in general. Unusual for November.

Best regards,
Michael

Jerome Marot

This wasp was not aggressive at all and pretty careful in general. Unusual for November.

This is Vespula Germanica, the common wasp. They are less aggressive than most people believe and even less so by cold weather as we had yesterday in Munich.

Nice macros. I see the X10 gives very good results.

Michael Nagel

Thanks Jerome. I learned something about wasps today. I do not have an issue with wasps in general, it is just interesting to see the difference in behavior. This specimen was very interesting to observe.

The X10 gives indeed good results, but I am still on my way on the learning curve.

Asher - the X10 is worth a try - at least try the handling.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So this is the Fuji X10! Nowadays everything new seems to have an X. NEX, GXR etc. Hmm, does X represent expression, excellence, excess or extracting more money by seducing us in buying more "stuff".

What do you find so useful about this new camera?

Asher

Jerome Marot

Hmm, does X represent expression, excellence, excess or extracting more money by seducing us in buying more "stuff"?

My personal theory is that it is an evil plot to lure you into taking movies of the same name and publish them on the Net (insert ominous background music here). That is also the reason why all new photo cameras can take movies, obviously.

Yes, I am joking... ;)

Mark Hampton

My personal theory is that it is an evil plot to lure you into taking movies of the same name and publish them on the Net (insert ominous background music here). That is also the reason why all new photo cameras can take movies, obviously.

Yes, I am joking... ;)

lol..

btw I hate wasps and kill any i see ... i wanted to hit the screen when I saw these monsters..

cheers

lol..

btw I hate wasps and kill any i see ... i wanted to hit the screen when I saw these monsters..

cheers

At moments like these, its useful to reflect upon the fact that our planetary ecosystem would literally collapse bigtime without wasps. There is not a single potential-plague-causing species of invertebrate on Earth whose numbers are not kept under control through the parasitic actions of wasps.