• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Galaxies rushing away?

fahim mohammed

Well that too. But I present something on a much smaller scale..but no less dramatic ( for me at least ).

We have become used to miracles of science..so much so that we tend to accept as ' matter of fact ' discoveries in the various fields of studies. And how much findings in one field have an impact on various others.

And how much of modern science owes to those that went before.

Einstein, everyone knows. What about Bohr? Polar extremes..yes?

And how about an Austrian physicist...Mr. Doppler?

Here it is being used on me. Hopefully to confirm early that all goes well!!
Galaxies speeding away from each other ? That too, yes. Thanks to Dr. Doppler.

And blood rushing through the femoral and peripheral arteries. Part of the cardiovascular system.

p1884113299-5.jpg

I shall try to get a better image with the lights on!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Well that too. But I present something on a much smaller scale..but no less dramatic ( for me at least ).

We have become used to miracles of science..so much so that we tend to accept as ' matter of fact ' discoveries in the various fields of studies. And how much findings in one field have an impact on various others.

And blood rushing through the femoral and peripheral arteries. Part of the cardiovascular system.

p1884113299-5.jpg

In fact, the audible presentation of a vascular Doppler sonogram is a wondrous thing! Not the music of the spheres, but perhaps much more important!

And how else will some of us (Westerners) get to have a cute girl caressing our thighs!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi, Fahim,

In fact, the audible presentation of a vascular Doppler sonogram is a wondrous thing! Not the music of the spheres, but perhaps much more important!

And how else will some of us (Westerners) get to have a cute girl caressing our thighs!

Doug,

There are agencies, you know that specialize in bringing these service right into your bedroom at home, with or without the big machine!

Asher

Asher Kelman

p1884113299-5.jpg

Good luck, Fahim!

I hope that you aren't having symptoms of claudication. One can get cramps that masquerade as vascular in origin and can be treated by medication!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, thanks. I have an echo on wednesday and a second meeting with my cardiologist.

Doug.

Do you by any chance maintain that non-Westerners visit hospitals to satisfy their physical cravings?

I doubt even Westerners ( interesting description that you ascribe here ), do that. At least not the ones I know. Guess we move in different circles.

Take care.

Hi, Fahim,

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

Doug's just fantasizing again. He's jealous, I think of tales of guys having polygynous access to multiple wives, something the church banned over 400 years ago in the West!

From visits to my Nigerian friends, the women tend to rules the household and the husband can't be rude to any one of them or else the ladies, all pals, can hang up on him! Not good to be excluded in one's own home!

We fantasize about access to extra opportinities for fun. Hence Doug thinking it was one side benefit, (from that tragic circumstance of needing a Doppler study), to have the gentle hand of a young woman on one's thigh.

In my experience, watching my patients get procedures, each time I saw a Doppler being performed, it was either by a gaunt 70 year old looking cafeteria-server table cleaner looking lady or by an effeminate young man. Never get seen a georgeous maiden putting gel on a thigh or chest to slide the sonogram emitter and sensor paddle.

Actually, Doug is just making light talk, which we do when we are nervous about the heavy seriousness of the situation that demands such a procedure. After all, this is nothing less than an existential gauntlet one has to pass through and not everyone does!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Was talking to my son, a little while ago.

He was presenting at a medical conference in Hawaii, last week.

Says he has been offered positions in the following organizations:

Mount Sinai, Beth Israel ( and why not ?, I told him ).

Dukes

NYU

Massachusetts General.

Mount Sinai and Dukes!!

So what does he want? He wants to come home soon.

Asher Kelman

Was talking to my son, a little while ago.

He was presenting at a medical conference in Hawaii, last week.

Says he has been offered positions in the following organizations:

Mount Sinai, Beth Israel ( and why not ?, I told him ).

Dukes

NYU

Massachusetts General.

Mount Sinai and Dukes!!

So what does he want? He wants to come home soon.

Fabulous!

He will find that all the hospitals mentioned are superb environments working at the highest level of scholarship, ethics and openness to everyone.

No one benefits by being of any particular origin except that, for sure, a Saudi will be popular as everyone will no doubt be interested in what goes on in this fabulously wealthy desert kingdom. Jews especially will welcome him as a brother while the occasions Christian will occasional seek to promote his/her path to salvation, but will eventually forget about that need, LOL!

Knowledge, skill, kindness and reliability are the only coinage that counts.

He will do well wherever he goes.

If he would come to Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles, we would love to be a resource for him. BTW, it is a place where one often sees families from Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States. This hospital has a major cardiac program and leads in gene therapy to clear the arteries, although I have lost track as to where they are up to!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Knowing that we have a friend in L.A. is something my family is more than grateful for.

Thinking out loud. My son was educated, trained, encouraged, and provided these opportunities...without any expense to him or us.

The people who supported his aspirations count on him to make the appropriate choice.

I am certain our son shall do the right thing. That's how he has been raised.

Kindest regards.

p.s. We say in our part of the world..' Person that cannot thank those that help him ; cannot thank The Lord.

Fabulous!

If he would come to Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles, we would love to be a resource for him.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

أكيد!

Doug,

I wish we didn't have to look up the words! Amazing that there was a time when to be educated, you might go to Baghdad or Constantinople. In Queen Elizabeth's time, following the rift with Catholic Europe, Britain exchanged ambassadors and trade with the Ottoman and Moroccan rulers and already then, Arabic was considered a key asset for a diplomat! Now we are mostly ignorant and we are losers. Beyond Shakespeare, it's said that Arabic poetry is unsurpassed. However, such treats are beyond our meagre education.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Doug,

I wish we didn't have to look up the words! Amazing that there was a time when to be educated, you might go to Baghdad or Constantinople. In Queen Elizabeth's time, following the rift with Catholic Europe, Britain exchanged ambassadors and trade with the Ottoman and Moroccan rulers and already then, Arabic was considered a key asset for a diplomat! Now we are mostly ignorant and we are losers. Beyond Shakespeare, it's said that Arabic poetry is unsurpassed. However, such treats are beyond our meagre education.

Yes, I wish I were really fluent in any language beyond standard American English, dontcha know.

As for me, even in French, the closest I have to a second language, I generally have to look anything complicated up.

Still, it is nice that we have the tools to do that, n'est-ce-pas?

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Asher, Doug...thanks for the follow through comments.

It is not so much the language that one does not understand, but more the environment in which poetry( in our case ) is being written.

I have fortunately live abroad for most of my school and uni life and a little beyond. As such, I have a better understanding of let's say the Bard's work or the ' English as in British ' literature that I have read.

Without having visited the Moors, ' The Hound of the Baskervilles ' would leave something lacking.

Restricting myself to a story told on the grandest of scale, and set amidst the scorching sand from the hinterland of my country, in the province of NAJD; I have yet to read poetry of love and defeat that would equal the one written of Qays and Laila.

No translation, however superb, can do justice to the power of a few word that form one of the verses
from that epic poem.

A Verse of Arabic Poetry

And here is a link to a book that is supposed to do a good job. The author ( female author actually ), seems to have studied Arabic extensively.

But remember...has she lived in the sands of the NAJD.

Translation of the greatest Arabic Love poem..

IMHO, of course.

p.s. just heard it again to check the link...wow! a masterpiece of Arabic Literature.