• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gazania rigens multispectral

Dr Klaus Schmitt

169281636.U9xDoiCF.Gazania2019_VISUVBVUV2_P1750969_c.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nature has such a wide variety of filters to provide each species in the common theme of “survival”!

Asher

Peter Dexter

A naive question: We human beings can not see the ultraviolet light range that so many insects, some birds, some lizards and so many other creatures including possibly cats and dogs. Do we have devises that can record that spectrum and translate to a format that we can visually perceive?

It isn't only us. Our cameras have limited color perception that can be tricked by iridescence or other color tricks practiced by animals.

Last edited:

Dr Klaus Schmitt

@Asher: some insects see polarized light andeed and we humans can too!

@Peter: Well, some humans can see that, too (and you and me can too under certain conditions). There are indeed tertachromatic (i.e. seeing 4 colors) and even pentachromatic beings like the mantis shrimp seeing 255 colors!! But others just see white and grey or very limited colors like cats and dogs! INdeed there are devices which helps us to see the invisible but it needs to be translated or "mapped" to our trichromatic color space to make it visible for us - what I have done here.