• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Giant Willow aphids and photobombing wasps!

Paul Iddon

What was meant to be a few photos of Giant Willow Aphids, became a 100 photo session with them and a group of six wasps that gate-crashed (photobombed?) the party. This post shows just 15, but I had a great time watching and snapping away! I couldn't get too close with all them buzzing around my head - I was leaning into a salix shrub!

willow_b_4k_1800-XL.jpg

willow_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

willow_c_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wasp1_b_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wasp1_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wasp1_c_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wasp1_d_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wasp1_f_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wasp1_g_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wasp_aphid_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wasp_aphid_c_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wasp_aphid_d_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wasp_aphid_e_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wasp_aphid_f_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wasp1_e_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Paul Iddon

The wasps glean the honeydew left by the aphids - though they are not "farmed" like ants do with other aphids species and do not take it directly from them.

Paul.

Paul Iddon, that's a marvellous series on the Giant Willow Aphid. The darn things have recently arrived in Australia and have probably come from New Zealand carried on storm winds.
The Giant Willow Aphid is a marvel of reproductive efficiency. They are all female, no males have ever been found, and they give birth to great numbers of live young. Alate and apterous forms arise depending on how crowded the colony gets.
Some local ants tend these aphids for the honeydew. Some local ladybird beetles like to eat them raw.

Paul Iddon

Paul Iddon, that's a marvellous series on the Giant Willow Aphid. The darn things have recently arrived in Australia and have probably come from New Zealand carried on storm winds.
The Giant Willow Aphid is a marvel of reproductive efficiency. They are all female, no males have ever been found, and they give birth to great numbers of live young. Alate and apterous forms arise depending on how crowded the colony gets.
Some local ants tend these aphids for the honeydew. Some local ladybird beetles like to eat them raw.

This is the first time I have actually seen them myself, despite many photos from friends/forum associates that had before me. I never realised how large they are.

Paul.