• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Street Color Girl in Flower Shop

It's good to know there is always something to learn. This was a great lesson. Many things we learn about are sad and break our hearts. I'm happy about her and that she seems to have a happy life!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Maggie,

It could be that we should look to alternate ways to represent people by perhaps making out pictures composite of different aspects of a person.

In medieval times, a knight, Baron or other person of power and substance had a crest of arms with symbols representing what they stood for. Obviously that was neither factual, honest nor sufficient. But at least several tokens representing different aspects of interests or character were claimed to be important.

From now on, I will have a totally different attitude to the elegant well composed and executed portrait!

Somhow we need to show more!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Maggie,

It could be that we should look to alternate ways to represent people by perhaps making out pictures composite of different aspects of a person.

In medieval times, a knight, Baron or other person of power and substance had a crest of arms with symbols representing what they stood for. Obviously that was neither factual, honest nor sufficient. But at least several tokens representing different aspects of interests or character were claimed to be important.

From now on, I will have a totally different attitude to the elegant well composed and executed portrait!

Somhow we need to show more!

Asher
Asher,
Maggie did share more less the same feelings as mine, but your vision remains your vision and that is what counts!
My comment was just how I felt about the look of the girl's face, but still I do totally respect your intent!

Somehow we need to show what is important to each of us! The Intent Asher, the intent!

Nous n'avons pas forcément besoin de faire de "jolies photos"…

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Yes, Nicolas, you deserve to be thanked first, for giving me a word of caution. I was on dangerous ground trying to present what I found in one “slice of life” as seriously representing her!

But what the girl showed of herself was fashion, laiser faire, joy ....and even a visit to a Museum of Art!

She shows herself hang-gliding and in “burning man”, fashion poses and always with so much zest and variety that I was shocked how simple my “sophisticated” view of her was!

Now I look for full and even complex ways .....as Picasso perhaps developed in his mind.....

(.....if it was not just patterns and shapes he was merely playing with.)

That could be in his non-serious and entertaining art.

But then look at this:

In Guernica, for sure, he built in that immense complexity in the horror of the Spanish Civil War, that shows us what can be done by an art genius!

I am not such a brilliant and technically marvelous “genius”, but at the very least, I realize my own inadequacies!

I will study this one picture as an inspiration and a reminder to not be such an arrogant simpleton!

Just because my work was competent doesn’t mean it was good enough to describe her as I had thought!

You realized that perhaps, from the outset!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher
So kill me but I still like your catch! Portraits I believe have so many aspects of a personality catching one as you have.... did accomplish a part of her personality that is why I said there is magic every where for your catch... some parts of her others see as in the other photos all well and good! A time ago when catching Peyton and Parker I let them move as they wanted because in order too see who they were would certainly spell out difference! So do not let your natural way be in part demised . It is just a learning process and all of us learn in different ways. That is a lesson in how humanity sees each other. How you saw her was how you saw her. I fell in love with her as you know from your catch.

Charlotte

Asher Kelman

Asher
So kill me but I still like your catch! Portraits I believe have so many aspects of a personality catching one as you have.... did accomplish a part of her personality that is why I said there is magic every where for your catch... some parts of her others see as in the other photos all well and good!

Charlotte,

Thanks, you are so considerate and actually spot on as your experience with Peyton proved so admirably. We have to exploit the moment when an image “appears”. Start a “Peyton retrospective” as this would be so illustrative!

So do not let your natural way be in part demised . It is just a learning process and all of us learn in different ways. That is a lesson in how humanity sees each other. How you saw her was how you saw her. I fell in love with her as you know from your catch.

Charlotte

Yes, I did a good job for that moment. But I had no opportunity to learn more of her! I was taken at the time by her love, hugs and openness to the photography.

Still, Charlotte, the rich diverse activities of the girl are so wonderful to discover. For sure my work was a partial glimpse of her verve.

But learning of her activities means our society is working very well for her!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Ashwe

As Peyton is in her young teenage years it is sooooooo hard for me to capture her as she doesnt like to be caught!!! Drives me crazy insane... but girls at that age 14 are...she is quite beautiful even more as she ages... I will try keep your fingers crossed

Charlotte🙄

Asher Kelman

But I am still in awe of the skill of Picasso to be able to show so much in “Guernica” even though it’s just two dimensional, drab color and has no explanatory text!

This episode made me appreciate the years of work he devoted to this one masterpiece,

So even for Picasso, full, complex multilayered expression is exceedingly hard to accomplish!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I find it often enlightening to reverse gender stereotypes. Would you take pictures of male models? Do any of our female photographers take pictures of young men? Do men post pictures of themselves on instagram? If not, what do they do on social networks?

nicolas claris

I find it often enlightening to reverse gender stereotypes. Would you take pictures of male models?

Yes I do
NCL5542_A4-1707x1280.jpg

Do any of our female photographers take pictures of young men?
No doubt, some do!
Do men post pictures of themselves on instagram?

Not me, but a lot can be seen on Instagram…[/QUOTE]
If not, what do they do on social networks?

Spending/losing their time… ;)

Asher Kelman

I find it often enlightening to reverse gender stereotypes. Would you take pictures of male models? Do any of our female photographers take pictures of young men? Do men post pictures of themselves on instagram? If not, what do they do on social networks?
Think about painters, Jérôme.

Let’s exclude Christian and biblical pictures.

Apart from that, artists often chose as subjects mostly powerful successful men and their women or scenes with many soldiers, village people or muses!

Photographers today have several new and unique interests of people to meet with the advantage of low cost and speed!

First, women see magazines like “Vogue” and imagine themselves in the same extraordinarily “perfect” presentations. It’s tempting to them to see if they too can transform to such fashionable “beauty” and charm.

In addition, (especially men’s), print and online magazine’s provide a demand for sexually attractive, (young adult), subjects to feed the apparently insatiable markets.

But that’s, (mostly), men’s need for titillation as “voyeurs” of others! For themselves, men seem far more reserved and shy!

To me, they more often seem to think they need skills and smarts, but less allure to succeed.
Still, lot of classic portrait photographers mostly photographed men! Still true today. Antonio seems to follow that habit.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jérôme,

As to my own photography, woman have constantly changing expressions, poses and curves that I find compelling. Even flowers don’t reshape their outlines so incessantly as women!

Personally, I enjoy the company and conversations with both men and women. But the latter are more often my main art medium for initial expression of ideas. Then paint, clay, aluminum, glass or steel replaces them for further exploration and execution. Work with women might inspire me, but material, in sculptural art, can be formed more savagely and without restriction, to my demands!

But I have always made a point of photographing men in social situations where I am allowed to shoot them freely, like art openings or in a craftsman workshop or an antique store, where detailed interest in recording unique appearance is entirely acceptable to them.

In markets, restaurants, theaters, with male strangers, however, it’s very different!

In Los Angeles, at least, asking a male stranger to model would easily be misinterpreted as offers to “date”! Although, the reverse, (asking a female stranger), is often the true motivation and, paradoxically, more commonly accepted and even welcomed.

Asher

James Lemon

Jerome

I like photograph people regardless of gender.

nicolas claris

@Asher Kelman , @James Lemon
You give one reply only to @Jerome Marot but he did ask 4 questions:

1/ Would you take pictures of male models? This one you answered, but what about the others?
2/ Do any of our female photographers take pictures of young men
3/ Do men post pictures of themselves on instagram?
4/ If not, what do they do on social networks?

By the way, mesdames, quelles sont vos réactions à ces questions ? @Maggie Terlecki ? @charlotte thompson ?

Asher Kelman

Instagram and social networks: I have never posted pictures of myself on Instagram or any other apps! It never occurred to me!

But I do see it’s potential as a way of describing oneself as a a fashionista, well travelled person or multifaceted individual.

Asher

James Lemon

1/ Would you take pictures of male models? This one you answered, but what about the others?

By the way, mesdames, quelles sont vos réactions à ces questions ? @Maggie Terlecki ? @charlotte thompson ?

Nicolas

If you are referring to Maggie and Charlotte it would appear that their interests lie elsewhere.

I do not know what is posted on Instagram, Facebook,Twitter,etc, because I do participate in any of those activities.

James

Asher Kelman

Nicolas

If you are referring to Maggie and Charlotte it would appear that their interests lie elsewhere.

I do not know what is posted on Instagram, Facebook,Twitter,etc, because I do participate in any of those activities.

James
Maggie and Charlotte post a lot on Facebook. That’s their art and they sell!

I don’t know it’s good practice to mix one’s “self as a person” with one’s “art for sale”!

Asher

Jerome Marot

We all know that the difference is due to the social construct of gender. Women do take pictures of men (or painted men before the advent of photography). The difference in perception is mainly due to the fact that male artists got more exposure. As a sample, this image is by Imogen Cunningham:

As to the last two question, they are related to the observation in that thread: https://openphotographyforums.com/forums/threads/uninteresting-photographs-on-twitter.23209/ that social networks require a steady stream of pictures for success (and little more than that). Producing a steady stream of pictures is hard if you want them to be a bit interesting. But there is one exception: if a photographer has an interesting model on hand, the pictures benefit form the unique ability of portraits to be be both varied and generally interesting to most humans, because as humans we simply like to watch each others. Producing that steady stream is even easier if the model is yourself, you always have the model at hand. Consequently, there are hordes of people doing just that on social networks. The present top 9 instagram accounts are just that.

When I asked the question, however, I believed that the top account was female and that female models would have an innate advantage in using social networks to promote themselves. But I was wrong, the present list shows that 3 top instagramers are male, including the top account.

Last edited:

Charlotte Thompson

Would someone tell me what the question is I do not understand what you all are talking about If it is about make models I have a good friend Paul Croes who is a super photographer mostly animals but he also shoots males not models jut people that want his portraits done I post many of these
Charlotte

nicolas claris

Dear Charlotte,

below are the questions asked by Jerome:

Charlotte Thompson

Asher Kelman

Would someone tell me what the question is I do not understand what you all are talking about If it is about make models I have a good friend Paul Croes who is a super photographer mostly animals but he also shoots males not models jut people that want his portraits done I post many of these
Charlotte

Charlotte,

See Nicolas set of questions, in post #45 above!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Dear Charlotte,

below is the questions asked by Jerome:

I enjoy seeing photos of male and female . I have done vintage overlay of males that I find interesting. Whenever I see art in a human either male or female.. If you look through the link I sent of Croes work you will find male photos these are not models..It is up to whether or not your own choice is made unto you! I do not like stero types///I am not Hallmark kinda girl
Charlotte

I've been busy. I really do not shoot women or men, mostly inanimate objects. But that said,
I have occasionally shot women and a few men. They were not full body shots, but portraits. It is very infrequent, the latest being a portrait of the sculptor
that I have done photography of his sculptures and books of them as he needed a portrait for the back of his books.
Now, to be honest, If I were to do a series, I would probably want to do women. To start with they have a body that I understand, that I think I could
show beautifully without it looking sleazy. I also like the more soft nature and sensuality that I understand how to get being a woman too.
Sometimes I see images (here and elsewhere) of women in the nude or bathing suits that feel like a man took them, although I cannot be 100% certain.

I guess I have certain ideas in my mind what I think a sexy man is. Now a naked guy at the beach (like above) , may be cool and he has a great body but does nothing for me. But then I also find giving men money
in a show to take their undies off and dance also seems silly to me. To me a handsome man is not a pretty boy, but instead someone intelligent, interesting and talented. If I were to photograph them I would
want to portray them this way; where they look smart and brave but not silly and stupid. Of course it would depend on the guy but I already feel there are certain types of images I'm not interested in doing. Sort of
like Charlotte said, nothing that would go on the front of a Hallmark card. hehe.

As for Instagram, I'm not on it, but I know from youtube that many people are and I think there are both men and women. I'm not much a follower of trends so don't check out
women to see what I think I should be wearing etc., I guess many people do otherwise why would anyone care and why would they get followers. I guess men are doing it too, but I tried checking it out, but
can't see the images without having an instagram account. So I guess people here that are on Instagram could tell more than I can.

As for Facebook, I do sometimes get friendship requests from men that sometimes are just looking to meet women. It is not hard to tell by looking at their profile; they only have pics of themselves, and their friends' list
are only women. They have many posts of animations of roses and hearts as if that gets them women. When I first started on Facebook, only 3 years ago or so, I didn't know and accepted but then got messages
that were very obvious flirting. I now know what to look out for and just refuse them. So what are they doing on social media? I guess most of them are looking for love or dates from woman and men or both! :-D

Asher Kelman

Thanks Charlotte and Maggie for providing a feminine viewpoint!

We need more of your power from your talented sisters!

Asher