• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Great Grey Owl

James Lemon

These birds wait, listen, and watch for prey, then swoop down; they also may fly low through open areas in search of prey. They frequently hunt from a low listening post which can be a stump, low tree limb, fence post, or road sign. Their large facial discs, also known as "ruffs", focus sound, and the asymmetrical placement of their ears assists them in locating prey, because of the lack of light during the late and early hours in which they hunt. On the nesting grounds, they mainly hunt at night and near dawn and dusk; at other times, they are active mostly during the night

1B782C1D-354B-4097-B97F-9E529188D8D4.jpeg

787C0816-64F9-41EC-A1BD-A418E71A36E2_1_201_a.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These birds wait, listen, and watch for prey, then swoop down; they also may fly low through open areas in search of prey. They frequently hunt from a low listening post which can be a stump, low tree limb, fence post, or road sign.
Beautiful description!

Their large facial discs, also known as "ruffs", focus sound,
How is this information transmitted to thr ears at the sides?
and the asymmetrical placement of their ears assists them in locating prey,
How might that work? Any ideas?
This is a most enjoyable thread with fabulous pictures and wonderful information about these creatures.come remarkable but little known unique quality of owls physiology is the natures of the muscles which are unusually powerful, fiber for fiber more than those of eagles!

James Lemon

Beautiful description!

How is this information transmitted to thr ears at the sides?

How might that work? Any ideas?
Like the Barn Owl and Long-eared Owl they have asymmetrical ear openings that help them find prey by sound alone. The left ear opening is higher on the head than the right ear opening which enables precise directional hearing and lets them nab invisible prey.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Like the Barn Owl and Long-eared Owl they have asymmetrical ear openings that help them find prey by sound alone. The left ear opening is higher on the head than the right ear opening which enables precise directional hearing and lets them nab invisible prey.
I understand they can detect a mouse a half a mile away by hearing alone!

James Lemon

I understand they can detect a mouse a half a mile away by hearing alone!
I am not sure about how far but they can hear critters deep down underneath the snow in winter. I think they have a hard time hunting when it is raining .

Last edited: