• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge for Pictures in a Series: Motif or Concept Guess the Location!

Tim Rucci

Trivia Time....

Where was I when I shot the photo below?

Anybody care to guess?

249 -_5D3_1443R.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Trivia Time....

Where was I when I shot the photo below?

Anybody care to guess?

View attachment 6127

The hint is in three parts: A stately building with a domed roof, formal well dressed modern men with no cowboy hats or trinkets of the South, Windows all around, below the dome: so its most impressive from the outside from all angles: its likely a State House!

FD546856-578E-4F7A-9E46-50375E78D322.jpeg

This is where you were! in Maine, USA!

Asher

Tim Rucci

I'm impressed. But I'm interested to know how you found the answer (or have you been there and recognized it?)

The correct answer is: I was laying flat on my back on the first floor, directly under the rotunda in the Maine Statehouse in Augusta, Maine. Since there was nobody
else present at that moment, I risked looking like an idiot in order to get the shot I posted above. The dome was green when I was there, but does not look green in
the image you posted, so I'm not sure if the color changed at some point or if possibly the darker dome was just oxidized and might have been cleaned to bring back
the green color.

Here are a couple additional photos from my visit. The first one below is from the same side as the one you posted.

Thanks for moving my post. I had looked but had not found an appropriate place to post it.

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!

T
Maine_5D3_1389.jpg
249_Maine_capitol_5D3_1380y.jpg
249_Maine_5D3_1438y.jpg

Asher Kelman

Tim,

Your story and pictures make a great photo essay! That’s a great idea.

I tried “Reverse Image Search” but failed several times. I rotated the image until I was able to see each portrait on the wall, and guessed it was either a Governors Mansion or else some Eastern USA Capital State House.

I should have searched under “Capital State Houses” but my various different choices, of such words, always gave a map of US states or else just the USA Capital Building in Washington DC.

Then I remembered Yandex, the “Google Equivalent” in Russia and did a reverse image search and found it!

Asher

Jerome Marot

The dome was green when I was there, but does not look green in
the image you posted, so I'm not sure if the color changed at some point or if possibly the darker dome was just oxidized and might have been cleaned to bring back
the green color.

Most probably the opposite. Copper roofing looks that shade of green when oxidised, which is the colour of copper oxide.

Tim Rucci

Footnote on the Maine Capitol: I just realized that in one of my posts above, I incorrectly stated that the location was Portland, Maine. It's actually in Augusta, Maine.
It was a memory lapse on my part. I would have edited the original post but do not know a way to do that. Perhaps Asher can chime in and let me know if editing a post is possible.

Asher Kelman

I will correct it!

I myself thought it was Portland too, but had discovered it was Augusta, Maine but the picture is so impressive that it doesn’t matter!