• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

LF: Gymnosophist

12602804905_302137f6e4_b.jpg

Gymnosophist

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford MGIV VC FB photographic paper, image size 25.4cm X 20.3cm,
by contact from a Kodak Tmax 400 8"x10" negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension
field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens. Signed, titled, and stamped verso.

There is a long tradition in photography where a person may deliberately undress to afford the photographer a motif
whereby the human form or the human condition may be inquired into. It is another thing that the subject is unclad
in any case; camera or no camera.​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
12602804905_302137f6e4_b.jpg

Gymnosophist

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford MGIV VC FB photographic paper, image size 25.4cm X 20.3cm,
by contact from a Kodak Tmax 400 8"x10" negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension
field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens. Signed, titled, and stamped verso.

There is a long tradition in photography where a person may deliberately undress to afford the photographer a motif
whereby the human form or the human condition may be inquired into. It is another thing that the subject is unclad
in any case; camera or no camera.​

How do you know she's a gymnosophist? I thought they were ascetic philosphers from India. She looks more european and female!

Still, the picture is so well made and captures neither beauty not sexuality just the person who is, as she is, quite real, agreeable, handsome and well-assured.

I wonder whether or not you had considered burning in the phallic shadow between her thighs as it was confusing at first, LOL!

Asher

She styles herself as a gymnosophist but in the modern sense of a person who combines spirituality and meditation while eschewing garments. The meditation takes the form of long distance running and her slim musculature and perfect tan suggests she meditates a lot.

I must confess I was innocently unaware of phallic shadows or the dispostion of her thighs and worried more that she was comfortable and really nailing the camera lens with a confident gaze. The dozen or so unclad people who witnessed the scene though she acquitted herself with aplomb.

Were you naked yourself at the time of the picture, Maris?

Of course.

Spencer Tunick, the famous photographer of naked crowds, now absolutely refuses to work with nudists after some bad experiences. His problem is that people who are habitually unclad don't take seriously the underlying bargain that enables his work to be possible. The bargain is that large scale art carried out under Spencer Tunick's authority permits people to be nude in highly transgressive situations. And the permission holds good at least while Spencer is running the show. His models must follow his orders otherwise they become unsafe outside the protective bubble of his enterprise.

Jock Sturges does photograph nudists successfully and he works hard at establishing and maintaining an trust with them that is never broken or dishonored. The rapport is long term, personal and not predicated on authority artistic or otherwise.

I'm principally a landscapist and I photograph nudes rather occasionally and informally. For years I had the nearest house to a beach used by nudists. Photographing them is easy. The key item is a 8x10 view camera on a large tripod. Such a camera is very conspicuous and cannot sneak about, catch people unawares, or pursue unwilling subjects. There is a bargain of course between photographer and model but it is not like Spencer Tunick's or Jock Sturges'. The deal is absolute egalitarianism, no power tripping, no "outsider voyeurism", and ordinary interpersonal respect. And part of it is embracing common humanity through the humility of being unclad. Another part is that the photographer and model are burned by the same sun and bitten by the same insects; seems fair to me.

Jerome Marot

I'm principally a landscapist and I photograph nudes rather occasionally and informally. For years I had the nearest house to a beach used by nudists. Photographing them is easy. The key item is a 8x10 view camera on a large tripod. Such a camera is very conspicuous and cannot sneak about, catch people unawares, or pursue unwilling subjects. There is a bargain of course between photographer and model but it is not like Spencer Tunick's or Jock Sturges'. The deal is absolute egalitarianism, no power tripping, no "outsider voyeurism", and ordinary interpersonal respect. And part of it is embracing common humanity through the humility of being unclad. Another part is that the photographer and model are burned by the same sun and bitten by the same insects; seems fair to me.

I remember that beach and indeed I found the idea to use a view camera pretty good when you exposed it at the time.

Just for context: I live in Munich, Germany. The locals have a relatively relaxed attitude towards nudity. There is a large, official, nudist zone in the main city park. In season, it is not uncommon to see people coming out of nearby offices in suit and tie and undress on the spot for a quick tan.