• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gypsy dance in Bordeaux

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Compagnie Romano Dji - Rehearsal at Les Vivres de l'Art - July 2020
They gave me "carte blanche"!

What a pleasure to follow these dancers! What energy!
As a newcomer in the shooting of dancers, I took an increasing pleasure in using the rhythm and choreography, I hope I was able to transmit the collective emotion that emanates from this magnificent performance 🙂

Shot with a Pentax 645Z

_NCZ2030_Web.jpg

_NCZ2313_Web.jpg

_NCZ2398_Web.jpg

_NCZ2766_Web.jpg

_NCZ2824_Web.jpg

_NCZ2835_Web.jpg

More photos : https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vanity=dansetziganebdx&set=a.761563667963672

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
They're all French!
But they follow the guidance of Petia Iourtchenko a Roma from Russia living in Paris.
I met him a whole book should be written about him!
This is, indeed, so amazing, Nicolas!

So free, energetic and full of life! The women are fabulous dancers with extraordinary muscle control. How the last one got up from the floor impressed me to the nth!

Are the dance movements genuine or “Russia-fied”?

Asher

nicolas claris

This is, indeed, so amazing, Nicolas!

So free, energetic and full of life! The women are fabulous dancers with extraordinary muscle control. How the last one got up from the floor impressed me to the nth!

Are the dance movements genuine or “Russia-fied”?

Asher

!!!!!!!!
This is Petia Iourtchenko a Roma from Russia living in Paris.
I met him a whole book should be written about him!

nicolas claris

The rehearsal was also filmed by Romain (with a little help of mine for the 2nd camera)
Same dancers, same day, same time

nicolas claris

Last Sunday I went to shoot them again, during a rehearsal in a theatre, same people, different choreography and for me a new difficulty, indoor with very poor lighting…
I've been lucky enough to have the Pentax K1 Mk2 with me… All shot at 2000 ISO, handheld with a Pentax 24-70mm…

_NCK7195_web.jpg

_NCK6843_web.jpg

_NCK6728_web.jpg

_NCK7053_web.jpg

_NCK6424_web.jpg

Petia Iourtchenko, the choreographer a Roma from Russia living in Paris​

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

When I first saw this on Facebook, I was taken by what I though were a series of abstract fantastical faces. Only later did I realize what you were up to!

797419DC-8E1A-4B42-A9AA-A46328EBCE31.jpeg

It’s that “optical blast” of attention getting flurry of red silk/satin that consumes our attention and pulls us into a new universe.

You actually being Embedded there in the immediate range of feeling the foot work vibrations on your chest, and the swish of fabric in your face must have n
Been floating in a wondrous transfixed daze!

This is glorious work. Better than papillons!

Asher

nicolas claris

A new Sunday afternoon spent photographing the dancers of Danse Tzigane Bordeaux / Romano Dji during a rehearsal
This time with the musicians of Kapela Musique.
The symbiosis and joy were there, what rhythm(s)!
Magical :)
With @romain claris and Chloe Gueze

_NCK8330_web.jpeg

Flash light forbidden, all shot handheld with the Pentax 645Z and KI Mk 2 @2000 ISO - 1/10s - ƒ5.6

Compagnie Romano Dji - Rehearsal at Les Vivres de l'Art - July 2020
They gave me "carte blanche"!

What a pleasure to follow these dancers! What energy!
As a newcomer in the shooting of dancers, I took an increasing pleasure in using the rhythm and choreography, I hope I was able to transmit the collective emotion that emanates from this magnificent performance 🙂

Shot with a Pentax 645Z

More photos : https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vanity=dansetziganebdx&set=a.761563667963672
These are great Nicolas. I especially like the one with movement of the material. So bright and full of joy!

A new Sunday afternoon spent photographing the dancers of Danse Tzigane Bordeaux / Romano Dji during a rehearsal
This time with the musicians of Kapela Musique.
The symbiosis and joy were there, what rhythm(s)!
Magical :)
With @romain claris and Chloe Gueze

Flash light forbidden, all shot handheld with the Pentax 645Z and KI Mk 2 @2000 ISO - 1/10s - ƒ5.6
I love this one with all the movement of the clothing. It's exceptional. So very cool!

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

Your pictures bring out their character. It’s a great artistic project, even more lively than “Red”.

I enjoy the flash of actively moving color. Red is so powerful. It’s the fire in the hearts of lovers and the blood spilt in war!

in the Gypsy dances there’s a rebellion against the restricted pauper life of merely scraping a living.

When they dance, they are masters of the landscape, proud and beautiful to admire!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Nicolas

These are fabulous ! They

sure did capture the energy 1 How fun.... did you dance with them..Romain take the shot of that !

Charlotte

nicolas claris

Nicolas

These are fabulous ! They

sure did capture the energy 1 How fun.... did you dance with them..Romain take the shot of that !

Charlotte
Thank you Charlotte and Asher!
It is fun, but needs a lot of concentration for the photog … They move so fast! I couldn't dance with them more than 10 seconds! LoL! I just try to make you mentally dance with them, and apparently I did succeed! :)

Romain does shoot video for them (with a 3 cameras setting, edited afterward) But he does dance with them!
Here, the man on the right with a dark hat:

_NCZ2835_Web.jpg

Asher Kelman

Nicolas and Romain,

I too am so excited by this vibrant vital extravagant art work through dance and photography.

I hope you can link all the completed videos!

Asher

nicolas claris

Nicolas, the movement is so gorgeous; it really makes us feel like we are there, and enjoying the dance performances. Just great! :) Maggie
Thank you Maggie!Capturing the mouvements was my will but a real challenge, it is a dance full of energy and speed… With not much light and flash forbidden!

Robert Watcher

I agree that the movement adds a lot to the photo. It emits energy. In my wedding shooting days, I used to love setting up flash and dragging the exposure a bit during the dancing. A lot tougher to get good results without flash and in low light. Really nice.

Asher Kelman

It’s all in the flowing garments and the flamingo “attitudes“ of substance and pride.

It’s a challenge, when not framed tight, as mundane things distract.

in this challenge you have provide enough wide angle shots to achieve context but your tight-framed give us flamboyant luxury of excess fabric accelerating as the dancers change direction!

Fabulous!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

The closer you frame the rolling moving fabric, the more ethereal, romantic and magical. We are moved, transported to a land of extravagant and barely legal romance!

A689DEEE-F5F6-495A-8258-0109935178F8.jpeg

8CFD6A9F-4892-43BE-A37C-0BB95516B95F.jpeg

8BC8330D-D498-4568-A56D-1683D56D21E5.jpeg

F2760119-D2DE-4342-9614-6C378ACC7C0C.jpeg

But then we depart from the amazing drama in the poses, posture and form of the face and body and the rhythm and hardness of the shoes!

B832B601-079E-4014-A1A9-05DBB3FE8DBD.jpeg

I wish I was actually there with you, but I can really feel the celebration and the thrill of the dancers and energy of Romain!

Asher

nicolas claris

Nicolas,

The closer you frame the rolling moving fabric, the more ethereal, romantic and magical. We are moved, transported to a land of extravagant and barely legal romance!

But then we depart from the amazing drama in the poses, posture and form of the face and body and the rhythm and hardness of the shoes!

I wish I was actually there with you, but I can really feel the celebration and the thrill of the dancers and energy of Romain!

Asher
Thank you Asher, getting in details and also wider was my goal, a quite difficult challenge as with low light and speed of dancers' movement!
Glad you felt the energy and passion of the dancers!

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher, getting in details and also wider was my goal, a quite difficult challenge as with low light and speed of dancers' movement!
Glad you felt the energy and passion of the dancers!
The problem with wide shots is that they include the ordinary world. Wide shots in a movie however can be cleverly mixed with wide detailed shots as when Romain started a shot from the stern looking forward at the roof windows of the cabin and rose over that to the harbor. There, Romain’s skill and the continuous movement seduced us continuously.

Still shots that are super wide with dancers cannot easily seduce us as completely!

Perhaps in Paris, where architecture has been more richly imagined, whole areas demolished by Napoleon and grand avenues and buildings inserted like the work of Zeus and his band of Gods transformed the land!

Asher

nicolas claris

The problem with wide shots is that they include the ordinary world. Wide shots in a movie however can be cleverly mixed with wide detailed shots as when Romain started a shot from the stern looking forward at the roof windows of the cabin and rose over that to the harbor. There, Romain’s skill and the continuous movement seduced us continuously.

Still shots that are super wide with dancers cannot easily seduce us as completely!

Perhaps in Paris, where architecture has been more richly imagined, whole areas demolished by Napoleon and grand avenues and buildings inserted like the work of Zeus and his band of Gods transformed the land!

Asher
The wide shots (but I didn't do super wide) including the entire stage are necessary for the company to show the entire ballet to theater owners so they can buy the entertainment...
Detailed shots are used to promote dancers sensitivity and skills and emotions…