• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge for Pictures in a Series: Motif or Concept Harvest as Art!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Let’s look at the possible creative expression of what we grow!

0F95632E-555E-440E-8A5D-CA3B45CE62E9.jpeg

Asher Kelman: “Onions in Umber”

Add your own creations!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Now
very basic, thr cousin of a tomato!

7697B319-69EC-422A-B2F1-2834AAFBCEA8.jpeg

Asher Kelman: “Spuds!”

I invite others to add their own harvested produce, grains or farm equipment!

Asher

Asher Kelman

The shopkeeper is not far away!
My eldest son, Ariel wanted to buy Truffles and they wouldn’t sell it to him until the owner interviewed him and made sure this American foreigner would not disrespect French tradition and have some idea of how to cook with it.

After the interview the owner instructed the clerk, “Ce monsieur peut acheter autant qu'il le souhaite, il est presque Français !!”

Asher Kelman

Wow, move over Edward Weston and make room for Nicolas and Asher!
OMG, Tom,

What a generous compliment. I am stunned and shaken to have our names associated with the fastidious “Priest of Light“ and “Father Of Shading”. I admire his work so much!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Wow, move over Edward Weston and make room for Nicolas and Asher!
Wow! Thank you Tom! What a compliment…
However this tomato is ƒ8 (only) and my limit almost never exceeds ƒ32…
Also Edward Weston was not really interested by color(s)…
I guess I should decline your so kind comment! ;) But thanks again!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I've been asked in a private message to explain my reference to aperture…
Well just simply because Edward Weston was co-founders of the f/64 group in 1932 with Ansel Adams, Imogen Cunningham, Willard Van Dyke, Henry Swift, John Paul Edwards, Brett Weston, Consuelo Kanaga, Alma Lavenson, Sonya Noskowiak, and Preston Holder.

I love that approach (at least the first part):

Group f/64 displayed the following manifesto at their 1932 exhibit:
The name of this Group is derived from a diaphragm number of the photographic lens. It signifies to a large extent the qualities of clearness and definition of the photographic image which is an important element in the work of members of this Group.
The chief object of the Group is to present in frequent shows what it considers the best contemporary photography of the West; in addition to the showing of the work of its members, it will include prints from other photographers who evidence tendencies in their work similar to that of the Group.
Group f/64 is not pretending to cover the entire spectrum of photography or to indicate through its selection of members any deprecating opinion of the photographers who are not included in its shows. There are great number of serious workers in photography whose style and technique does not relate to the metier of the Group.
Group f/64 limits its members and invitational names to those workers who are striving to define photography as an art form by simple and direct presentation through purely photographic methods. The Group will show no work at any time that does not conform to its standards of pure photography. Pure photography is defined as possessing no qualities of technique, composition or idea, derivative of any other art form. The production of the "Pictorialist," on the other hand, indicates a devotion to principles of art which are directly related to painting and the graphic arts.
The members of Group f/64 believe that photography, as an art form, must develop along lines defined by the actualities and limitations of the photographic medium, and must always remain independent of ideological conventions of art and aesthetics that are reminiscent of a period and culture antedating the growth of the medium itself.
The Group will appreciate information regarding any serious work in photography that has escaped its attention, and is favorable towards establishing itself as a Forum of Modern Photography.

More about the ƒ64 group

Last edited: