• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Harvest Moon over Lytham Windmill, UK

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

This was an image taken a few years ago now, and was one of those (rare!) occasions where my pre-planning and the conditions on the day all came together. I was on location for around 1hr prior to the shot, and was a bit worried that the full moon was going to remain hidden behind the clouds - but thankfully the clouds parted and it shone through in spectacular style. Taken on a Fuji XPro2 with a 90mm lens.

2017_10_ASxp2_12516.jpg

The windmill itself is of course illuminated from below as well - you can make out the floodlights around it's base - but it gives a nice impression of being lit by the moon itself. Exposure on both the moon and the landscape was tricky, and the above is actually the result of two blended exposures - one to pick up some of the detail in the moon.

I was fortunate enough to have this image published in a few of the UK newspapers the next day, and have my own print hanging in our hallway. Some interesting history on the windmill can be found on wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lytham_Windmill ), with the plot of land first being used for a windmill back in 1805. It's a favourite local subject of mine, and I've taken many images over the years, but this remains one of my favourites.

Thanks for looking,
Andrew.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
IMG_9400.jpeg

Andrew,

What a challenge you gave yourself. This is the sort of picture that can lend the photographer a passion for repeatedly returning to the same RAW file and vowing to start from scratch again and reinterpret, explore, refine and polish the presentation again and again over a period of decades, even a lifetime.

You’ve done remarkably well!

Asher