• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How do you split Photo/Video for non critical

ayushverma

Just wondering how people who are into both photo and video, split between getting stills and filming that proper moment? I do not do any paid work, only family events and travel. I started as stills only and got into video and video editing. I still enjoy doing both stills and video. When looking at my Lightroom Catalog, my image count has gone down from something crazy like 6,000 per year to 1,000 per year, mostly because a good amount of time I am shooting more video. Yesterday (easter), me and the family had a great Easter at home, I started in stills mode, but once my mind switched to video, it never went back to photo, I regrettably do not have that many stills, but do have lots of video. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or system, it seems like photo and video are two different mindsets and its easy to get locked into one.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
No tricks
It's a question of state of mind and to know at every moment what is essential for still or video.
You only have a fraction of a second to decide what priority to give.
Of course it helps a lot to know in advance which film and which photo album you want to make.

About twenty years ago, I often shot video and photo (including by helicopter) at the same time for clients not rich enough to afford 2 operators...
At the end of the shooting day I was dead tired and never 100% happy with my work.

Then one day I decided that it was enough and that it would just be the photo (it could have been the opposite...).
So my clients who wanted to keep me for the photo agreed to hire a video director.
And guess what? That made a good place for my son :)

You just can't be everywhere in the same time, you have to choose your preferred medium and leave the other for someone else…
You'll be pretty much succesfull as you will devote a stronger concentration on your work…

Derek Dupont

Great question, you got me thinking. I believe the preference for photos or videos depends on what you want to capture. If you take a photo, most likely you are captured by the view. If you opt for video, you want to convey not only what you see but also what you feel at the same time. I don't support the fashion for short sketches with music, even if it fits perfectly with the video. Sincere emotions immediately turn into a commercial product. I downloaded such videos on the Vidmate apk and analyzed individual frames for a long time to see if I could use the same tricks. Then I thought, why should I try to repeat after others? I shoot the way I feel, and people often say I can convey my emotions to them.

Last edited:

ashishroe

Hi,
As a human, I can understand the dilemma you face as someone who enjoys both photography and videography. It can be challenging to find a balance between capturing still images and filming moments when you're involved in both mediums.