• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

how to carry tripods while hiking?

Lisa Nikodym

The spouse & I have endless problems trying to figure out how to carry a tripod while hiking. It's a relatively small Gitzo with a lightweight ballhead, but it doesn't fit in the backpack any way we can figure. We have a strap for it that goes over the shoulder, but it's awkward and bounces around a lot. Has anyone else here found a good solution to this problem that they would care to share?

Thanks,
Lisa

Mike Spinak

pro member
Hi, Lisa,

95% of the time, I carry my tripod in my hand on long hikes. The other 5% is for "hiking" where I need to use my hands as well as my feet. For those situations, I often strap my tripod diagonally across my back (like the way an archer would wear a quiver of arrows); sometimes I strap my tripod to my camera pack. (The way I strap it on varies, depending on which camera pack I'm wearing and what I'm doing; I use lots of straps and cords and elastic for this.)

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Alain Briot

pro member
I always carry mine in a shoulder bag. I use 4-sections gitzos and I don't find they bounce. It works for me. I find that the bag protects the tripod extremely well from sand, scratches and shocks. I use a non-padded bag. The padded versions are just too bulky. On long hikes I'll strap the bag to my overnight backpack, usually to the side or in the center bag, vertically. I certainly don't recommend strapping your tripod under your backpack as this is sure to generate damage when you put your bag down on a rock or other hard surface...

Lisa,

if it's a short hike, during which you plan to take picture while en route, carrying it in your hand is probably the most convenient thing. It's always there if you need it, and you can simply put it down if you don't.

However, if the hike is rather long and you do NOT plan to use the tripod while walking, you most likely will be using a much bigger backpack, probably even with a frame. In this case a simple set of small bungee cords to strap the 'pod to the side of your pack will work wonders.

Another thing is to consider is a monopod, esp. like this one: Bogen 682 Pro Monopod With Legs. This one can be conveniently used as an alpenstock, so carrying it should be less problem...

HTH

Erik DeBill

I carry a relatively small internal frame pack on all but the shortest hikes. I used to strap my tripod vertically to the outside of the pack, but when I switched from a Gitzo 2227 to a Gitzo 1258 that became less convenient. Coincidentally, the smaller tripod will fit entirely within my pack (with head attached). That's what I do now.

I used to strap my tripod horizontally under my pack, but that didn't work so well when I switch to Gitzo tripods (the locks on the Manfrotto tripod kept it from slipping out of the loops). It also put a lot of wear and tear on my tripod. I figure that's what tripods are for, so I didn't sweat the nicks in the anodizing too much. It would also snag on trees and such, which was annoying until I learned to maneuver around it.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a backpack and a tripod bag at the same time, with the specific intention of strapping one to the other. You have to make sure your backpack has appropriate anchors for holding up the tripod, and that your tripod bag has some way to make use of those anchors. Otherwise you're not going to have much luck. Make sure that the part of the backpack you're anchoring to is supported. If having an empty pack means your tripod isn't supported you won't want to take it with you when your pack isn't full.

Having my tripod inside the pack makes it a little less convenient to get out, which, I'm ashamed to admit, means I don't use the tripod as much as I should. Plus, if I've been wading in a stream the tripod legs may have filled with water that will gradually seep out. Much better to have that outside the pack.

Nill Toulme

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
Lisa,
Another thing is to consider is a monopod, esp. like this one: Bogen 682 Pro Monopod With Legs. This one can be conveniently used as an alpenstock, so carrying it should be less problem...
HTH
Yikes! Nik, have you actually used that particular model? Its fliplock levers will bang your shins and catch on every trailside twig, I wouldn't trust its "tripod" legs on anything less level than a dance floor, and worst of all it weighs three pounds! Trust me, I have one of these things in my closet, and it's a boat anchor.

There are actually lightweight hiking staffs made with tripod screws in the top though, for those so inclined.

For a nice way to enclose and carry or strap on a small- to medium-size tripod, check out the Think Tank Bazooka.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Nil,
thanks for the additional info!

No, I didn't have a chance to use that one, but I'm eventually considering getting myself a nice light sturdy monopod that would double a walking stick as well. I also seem to remember a particular one (could not find it fast enough for this response) where the two spikes actually attach to the handle, making it a very low-level tripod with two legs being those spikes and the third one being the monopod itself. I though that this tripod combined with a lightweight ballhead, like (UBH) could be a nice combo for weight-concerned traveler.
I myself, OTOH, do not seem to mind carrying my MagFiber 554 for a few miles...
I'm mostly looking for a monopod for the HS games-type shooting..

Thanks, Nil,

I saw it when you posted it, great post!

Monopod is not in my immediate shopping list right now, but when it comes to it, rest assured I'll be re-reading your comparisons over and over:)

Cheers!

Don Ferguson Jr.

John Wright

Manfrotto makes the 401N carrying strap. You can sling it across your back and it remains attached to the tripod when it is set up. Unfortunately, it cannot be used in conjunction with a backpack.

401N.jpg