• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How to create albums in OPF - Tutorial

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
For those a little shy or not adventurers ;) here is a quick tutorial for posting an album

UPDATED !

1/ click on the "Media" menu and "Add media"

add media.jpg

2/ Then click and select within which category you want your album to be viewed in the pop-up window.

Should you wish a new or sub-category ask @Asher Kelman or I to create it

pop.jpg

3/ On the following window click on the "Create album" on the right

4/ Click on the "Upload files" button to add your photos (or videos or music)

Capture d’écran 2020-04-12 à 13.01.40.jpg

5/ Name your "Album" and fill the "Album description"
Do not forget to Save!

Why creating an album if you can't share it or one of the photos in a thread?
This is easy!

While viewing an existing album

Scroll down the window to its lower right corner

1.jpg

While viewing an image of an existing album
Scroll down the window to its lower right corner

2.jpg

Examples :

Here's a link to my 1st album, with BB code:

View album 3
Here's a link to a pic of this album, with BB code:

full

Keep in mind that:
1/
An album is made of multiple images, videos, music files and/or embedded stuff.
2/ You will be able, at all time, to delete or add files to each of your albums, but please try not to delete or leave an album empty!
3/ You will be able, at all time, to change the category of each of your albums
4/ You will be able, at all time, to change who can view each of your albums

select.jpg

Attachments

• 1586957686689.gif
    1586957686689.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 397
Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A caveat!

The albums are meant as a community resource as you post them. Don’t put all your own images there for storage.

For those a little shy or not adventurers ;) here is quick tutorial for posting an album:

1/ click on the "Media" menu
2/ Then click and select within which category you want your album to be viewed in the "Navigation" tab.
Here Abstraction has been selected.
3/ Then click on the "Create album" on the right

Capture d’écran 2020-04-12 à 13.00.49.jpg

4/ Click on the "Upload files" button to add your photos (or videos or music)

5/ Name your "Album" and fill the "Album description"
Do not forget to Save!

Capture d’écran 2020-04-12 à 13.01.40.jpg

Keep in mind that:
1/
An album is made of multiple images, videos, music files and/or embedded stuff.
2/ You will be able, at all time, to delete or add files to your album

A little more is needed, LOL!

Please add how folk can use the album to then post images in a thread on OPF!

Asher

James Lemon

When viewing images in the gallery the transition from one image to the next is not smooth but rather a scrambling of the senses.

nicolas claris

When viewing images in the gallery the transition from one image to the next is not smooth but rather a scrambling of the senses.
Hmmm… Interesting…
Not that much for me, but I have a pretty fast Internet connexion…
Both with your album (your image are lighter in Mb than mines)…
Might be a plugin problem… @Asher Kelman can you check with Xenforo
Also I'd like the feeling of others about this…

I'm using the latest Safari version with Mac Mojave OS. You ?

Asher Kelman

James,

Perhaps you can try various browsers and also file sizes first so I have a definition of the problem that others can confirm.

Asher

James Lemon

James,

Perhaps you can try various browsers and also file sizes first so I have a definition of the problem that others can confirm.

Asher

Tom originally mentioned the experience earlier. Its how the image load abruptly verses a streaming flow from image to image.

All seems a bit jerky and slow.
Is it me?
Like it’s a cheap presentation in a kids classroom.
Not the photos.
I’d rather view them one at a time on the forum in preference to taking the trouble.

https://openphotographyforums.com/forums/threads/street-portraits-in-color.23920/

Last edited:

nicolas claris

Tom originally mentioned the experience earlier. Its how the image load abruptly verses a streaming flow from image to image.

Is it me?
Not the photos.
I’d rather view them one at a time on the forum in preference to taking the trouble.

https://openphotographyforums.com/forums/threads/street-portraits-in-color.23920/
I understand completely James.
Today this what I did:
- upload a new image into the existing album
- share this image with BB code into the thread "Diary #Stayhome #COVIDー19 #Restecheztoi"

So
- one can see the image into a specific thread
- a full body of work/series is embedded together for a better understanding of that work.
For me, in that case, both are necessary!

Albums are not made for an every day of work (except for diaries, of course ;) )
Albums are made to show a full work or series that aren't necessarly spread over multiple threads in OPF

So Yes, we have to find a technical solution for the user to have an easy browsing…

nicolas claris

James,

Asher
I did on a Macbookpro and on a Macpro, both with Mac Mojave OS and latest versions of browsers: Safari, Chrome and Firefox…
Same jerky behavior (and my connection to Internet is quite fast:

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 à 18.38.32.jpg

Numbers are MBps

Asher Kelman

I am occupied with a number of deadlines. So I will leave it to you guys to more fully define the parameters and description of the problem. Then I will set aside time to find a solution.

Asher

Robert Watcher

Is it me?
Not the photos.

I can see what you mean James. In the full image slideshow, it is a clunky gallery code. There is no smooth JavaScript preloading images or seamless Ajax image update. It’s a hard full page reload for each new image That bounces you back to the top of each page.

There so many nice image galleries nowadays that have smooth transitions - and many use touch and swipe control for moving back and forth - plus most have a full screen option. I would think something like that could be included in the forum as a future update to OPF if they desire it,

——-

Robert Watcher

To know what I am comparing to —— this is a gallery script that I have included in website builds for some of my clients. You can see the smoother transitions and swipe ability and whatnot - https://fotorama.io/

Another mosaic script that I have used is this one on a website build I created for my daughters business - https://www.thesnobox.com/shave-ice-pics

Maybe the people who did the update of OPF to Xenforo software a while back, will know if there are other image gallery options available - or maybe asking on the Xenforo forum?

Last edited:

James Lemon

I can see what you mean James. In the full image slideshow, it is a clunky gallery code. There is no smooth JavaScript preloading images or seamless Ajax image update. It’s a hard full page reload for each new image That bounces you back to the top of each page.

There so many nice image galleries nowadays that have smooth transitions - and many use touch and swipe control for moving back and forth - plus most have a full screen option. I would think something like that could be included in the forum as a future update to OPF if they desire it,

——-

Exactly Robert... thanks for your input!

Asher Kelman

Robert,

Can you translate our needs to an instruction for my new programmer?

That would perhaps, be more properly focused and delineated than my description!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

Can you translate our needs to an instruction for my new programmer?

That would perhaps, be more properly focused and delineated than my description!

Asher

perhaps you can share the replies I made above To your programmer. The replies have the full descriptions and include a couple of links to smooth JavaScript based galleries. That should be enough for any developer to understand I would think.

nicolas claris

A good advice, but if part of the core code is changed, it should be done in such a way that it is not altered when Xenforo is updated (there are several updates a year, mainly for security).