• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Most photographers here have no problem getting consent to photograph strangers in the street.

Often a nod and lifting up ones camera and an open hand gesture will indicate you wish to take a picture. A smile helps and if need be an “Excuse me, I wonder if you might allow me to take a picture@

“Why?”

“You look striking and I would love to record this moment!”

“What will it be used for?”

“My art!”

Most folk can get this much done with their own personal variations.

Frank Doorhof, the Dutch Fadhion:Glamor and Portrait lecturer and workshop expert, was stunned and taken back when I approached strangers on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, California and a second later I was having them pose as I wished!

So a lot depends on the culture and customs of your location. Frank, for sure was both laughing in astonishment and uncomfortable, as he would never do that!

But what if the person is so unique, handsome/beautiful that you would like to photograph them in your studio?

Then it’s far more challenging. This is for obvious reasons. The person has no idea what your intent might be. Both young males and females can be approached with claims by “a man with a camera” where the intent is simply to to use “photography” or “modeling” as a pickup line.

1. CARD & Web Gravitas: The best approach is to have ready a professional card with your gallery website and what you do: Portraits, weddings, Vogue or whatever you can confirm by them searching your name.

2. BOLD: Be bold and straightforward.

“I am a professional photographer and I noticed you and I like your look/ I would like to hire you for a commercial shoot/, ..... or whatever is the simple truth.

3. CLOSURE: “What’s your name, I am Joe Smith, Can I give you my card. Please look me up on the web. “

“Here’s a notebook, could you write down your name and number”

“Thanks, so looking forward to working with you!”

That is my starting contribution.

Add your ideas and questions!

Asher

Asher Kelman

FOLLOW UP: send a brief email and a few representative images of your style.

What needs to be thought through in advance:

1. possible dates
2. pay
3. Assistants: a makeup artist, hair stylist or you need them to manage that themselves.
4. Will you have a photography assistant and of what sex. It’s a good idea with a female to have a woman available if you need to spread her hair or create folds in a fabric or move her feet.

5. Are you providing a private changing room/wardrobe and if a companion/dog or favorite crystal or wardrobe are welcome.

6. what pictures are you planning to give the person? Prints or files?

7. do you have consent forms ready. Exclude use in men’s magazines for example if that is your plan.

8. will you allow the person to vet your images. I simply inform them that I can delete any file that they feel makes them look bad.

9. do you plan to feed them lunch?

10. do you plan to ask personal questions about their life story, values etc or you will have a strict distant professional approach. I do the former as I want to identify with the person as someone with more dimensions that their style or beauty. Some work with me for many months or years. However, other photographers wouldn’t dream of asking personal questions. But think about it as it is the basis for your interaction.

Professional models from an agency are there just to do a job, be paid, get a thank you and leave, not be your inspiration and muse.

Asher

Asher Kelman

ARRIVAL:

Welcome the person. A handshake is sufficient, but young females, today often will give a short hug and accept that instead and don’t linger.

Ask if they had trouble finding your location and where they parked. Get them in a better space if need be. Ask them if there is anything to carry as they may have several bags or cases with clothes or supplies.

Show them around, especially the bathrooms and the doors to leave

Show them the private changing room and introduce it exactly as that. Introduce assistants briefly and try not to overwhelm them. Allow a lot of free separating space around the person, as they are in strange new spaces with people they have never met before. Don’t touch them. They are not friends. Just be friendly, don’t stare, just be business like and keep moving to showing them where things are.

Have coffee or soft drinks ready and some cereal and milk, as more often than not they had no time to eat if it’s an early start. Ask if they have any questions or medical issues we should know about. A diabetic needs to have chocolate, orange juice or other sugar source at short notice, if they took insulin but skipped breakfast. I had a model recently bring her mother to the first shoot. The older lady took ill, was sweating and faint. It turned out she was diabetic but embraced to ask for food!

Have a first aid kit available. Always call emergency help in a “model-collapse” as drug use is not uncommon. That’s never occurred with my studio, but it is there ready to happen. A delay ended up with a famous photographer being charged with murder decades ago! Of course, NEVER share or use drugs in your studio as he apparently admitted!

Explain again your artistic goals and see if you can remove fears of having to be nude. I say “Nudity is not required, but I am comfortable shooting as you wish, especially if it makes sense. Anyway implied nudity is often as effective!

Explain how you will start. Best say that “We can shoot, as you are dressed right now”

.. and this is just to get comfortable. This way the person can unwind. Then ask him/ her what poses/shots/clothes they would like to tackle first.

In a subsequent shoot you can then plan based on what you achieved that first day.

A professional model, however, will deliver much more amazing shots and you will have days of editing by your computer ahead of you.

But the special person you noticed in the street will have a unique “natural” look that’s hard to replicate and you will feel very satisfied even though you might only have 3 pictures really worth printing!

Asher