• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hurricane Michael Update - Well, for me anyway...

Chris Calohan

For those of you who have been following my Hurricane saga, these are post storm before images and ones I shot today to celebrate the end of the rebuild (though a few more things to finish up). Its taken 10 months and 27 days to get from there to here and I'm one of the lucky ones who has a livable house...thousands upon thousands are still without roofs. The images you are seeing on the TV from the Bahamas is exactly what we looked like after initial impact as we too were a category 5 hurricane. Fortunately for us, ours was a fast mover - in and out in less than 5 hours.

In reference, both houses on either side of me were completely gutted down to the studs and neither at this time is livable. The house at the bottom of each image sustained over $300,000 in damage and while the roof has been replaced, noting else has been done since Oct 10, 2018. Note on the first image that the whole back area (in blue tarp) shows a missing room. It unfortunately had the unmitigated nerve to tear off and drop on a neighbor's house across the street and two house up.

Jerome Marot

For those of you who have been following my Hurricane saga, these are post storm before images and ones I shot today to celebrate the end of the rebuild (though a few more things to finish up). Its taken 10 months and 27 days to get from there to here and I'm one of the lucky ones who has a livable house...thousands upon thousands are still without roofs. The images you are seeing on the TV from the Bahamas is exactly what we looked like after initial impact as we too were a category 5 hurricane. Fortunately for us, ours was a fast mover - in and out in less than 5 hours.

Glad you were able to rebuild. Unfortunately, hurricanes are becoming stronger and more frequent, a consequence or global warming.

In reference, both houses on either side of me were completely gutted down to the studs and neither at this time is livable. The house at the bottom of each image sustained over $300,000 in damage and while the roof has been replaced, noting else has been done since Oct 10, 2018.

I am not sure I understand. Do you mean the house with a swimming pool and a red road? The roof appears intact in the "before" picture. Had it already been replaced?

Note on the first image that the whole back area (in blue tarp) shows a missing room. It unfortunately had the unmitigated nerve to tear off and drop on a neighbor's house across the street and two house up.

The way houses are built in the USA never ceases to baffle me. 😳

Chris Calohan

Red brick, but yes. Keep in mind when you speak of how our houses are built, there is some truth to that but try to imagine your house withstanding a constant wind of 155mph with gusts up to 205mph for 4 and a half hours. My saving grace was the big house which blocked quite a bit of wind.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chris,

What differences in structural details were suggested or required for the roof rebuild? Did you also include an hurricane-proof survival cupboard one could take refuge in the event of being forced to shelter in place?

Asher

Chris Calohan

I had the roofers lag bolt the top plates in with 6"x 3/4" lags, all the trusses were double strapped and on the ones that I had to replace were sistered with 2x6's for extra re-enforcement. Look at the images of the Bahamas and tell me which cupboard would have been safe. I have an inside, large shower that I had double trusses put over as well as 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood nail in opposing directions for additional strength and removed the one window I had in the bathroom. Nothing stops winds that exceed 200mph for any length of time...