• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I got my Canon 100-400mm lens today

Jim Olson

I only had a few min to play with it before I had to go to work but got a couple of shots today.

IMG_6066 E16 C16 S16.jpg

And that truck is 3000 feet away

IMG_6088 E16 C12 S3 STR -2.3.jpg

And my favorite silo

IMG_6094 E13 C11 S9 STR -2.6.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jim,

Congrats! This is exactly what you have needed. I am so happy for you!

I like the granary other barn or loader for trains??

But I am most looking forward to your eagles and seabirds!

Asher

Jim Olson

Jim,

Congrats! This is exactly what you have needed. I am so happy for you!

I like the granary other barn or loader for trains??

But I am most looking forward to your eagles and seabirds!

Asher
I hope to get out & do some more shooting soon & I really can't wait to see some birds in flight but I'm working more because of the holidays. We are getting very busy at work.
But I'm still only part time so hopefully soon.
Jim

Jim Olson

Okay, I walked outside & got this shot of a crow landing in a tree.
Is that good enough for the BIF thread ? lol
IMG_6103 E16 C5 S11 crop.jpg

Asher Kelman

Okay, I walked outside & got this shot of a crow landing in a tree.
Is that good enough for the BIF thread ? lolView attachment 6023
You are on your way!

we need a fast shutter speed and IS! Do you have a X x 1.4 teleconverter?

Those are helpful!

One has to learn to track the bird with a sweep of the camera. Does you camera have tge ability to lock focus and track?

Asher

Jim Olson

You are on your way!

we need a fast shutter speed and IS! Do you have a X x 1.4 teleconverter?

Those are helpful!

One has to learn to track the bird with a sweep of the camera. Does you camera have tge ability to lock focus and track?

Asher
I don't believe my camera will track I was trying to follow the crow and had it once and then it got away and then focused on it again when it was landing

Jim Olson

I don't believe my camera will track I was trying to follow the crow and had it once and then it got away and then focused on it again when it was landing
Correction... Will called me & I do have tracking. I'll have to play with it soon.
Jim

Asher Kelman

Correction... Will called me & I do have tracking. I'll have to play with it soon.
Jim
Great! When you master that, you will be delighted! A 1.4 or 2.0 extender is going to be helpful but check with Will if your camera can then Autofocus at the resultant aperture.

The miracle of the Canon mirrorless cameras is the ability to AF way beyond f8.0

That to me is sort of miraculous!

Asher