• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Identification required.

Ivan Garcia

Hi All.
Can someone confirm if this is a female Siskin?.
The bird was quite far and so this image is a 100% crop, rezzed up 300% and sharpened. It was taken in my garden yesterday as she/he stopped for a drink at my pond.

DS3_3836.jpg

Canon EOS 1Ds MKIII + EF 500mm f/4 L IS - ISO 200 - 1/800 sec - f/4 - Ec = -0.3 step hand held

Any help with the identification of the bird will be very much appreciated.

janet Smith

pro member
Any help with the identification of the bird will be very much appreciated.

Hello Ivan

I'm almost certain that it's a female Siskin, the male has a black cap, do you have a local RSPB reserve? their staff are always very helpful with identification, but I'm pretty sure that it is a female Siskin. Absolutely beautiful shot!

Ivan Garcia

Thank you Janet.
I am almost certain it is a female Siskin, but the bird differs a little form the description and photograph in my reference book. So , I am not 100% sure.
Glad you liked the shot, sadly is a 300% blow up so I can't really print it. Maybe next time she'll perch somewhere closer for a better shot.

janet Smith

pro member
I am almost certain it is a female Siskin, but the bird differs a little form the description and photograph in my reference book. So , I am not 100% sure

Hi Ivan

Just dug my reference book out too which describes Siskin's as tiny just slightly bigger than a wren, perhpas knowing the size of the bird may hep to ID it, my only other suggestion could be a Yellow Hammer in winter plumage if it's a larger bird, but these are a bit bigger than a House Sparrow, hope this helps and doesn't confuse the matter....