• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ikodot viewfinder??

Chris Kresser

Thanks for your reply, Doug. I'm definitely curious about it. Right now I have the CV 35 OVF for my GX100, which I love, but I'm missing something for the other focal lengths. I still dislike using the LCD. Buying four more OVFs will cost me close to $700, whereas an Ikodot costs $100.

Yep, you change the field of view by changing the eye position. For 21mm, they suggest turning your head slightly so your cheekbone is touching the back of the camera. For 35mm, you look straight into it with the end of your nose touching the back of the camera. And for 50mm, you put a thumb's width between your nose and the back of the camera.

I wonder how accurate this is, though? Obviously nothing like an OVF, but if it's fairly close I'd be intrigued.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for your reply, Doug. I'm definitely curious about it. Right now I have the CV 35 OVF for my GX100, which I love, but I'm missing something for the other focal lengths. I still dislike using the LCD. Buying four more OVFs will cost me close to $700, whereas an Ikodot costs $100.

Yep, you change the field of view by changing the eye position. For 21mm, they suggest turning your head slightly so your cheekbone is touching the back of the camera. For 35mm, you look straight into it with the end of your nose touching the back of the camera. And for 50mm, you put a thumb's width between your nose and the back of the camera.

I wonder how accurate this is, though? Obviously nothing like an OVF, but if it's fairly close I'd be intrigued.

Chris,

This device will be as accurate as you can want if you take the trouble to check with the rangefinder or LCD as to focus. You'll have to work out what landmarks you should use, but the structure of your hands and face will not change significantly.

I like it very much! I hope you get it and might report on it.

I have no issue about LCD's. I have no problems keeping an eye open when using my DSLR. Anyway, I often aim my camera by sense not anything else, at least in the street.

I also have prefocused to an area and wait for someone to enter it! Nothing comes to my eye then.

Asher