• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Search Of Excellence

Klaus Esser

pro member
favourite size

This is my favourite kind of camera at the moment:
6x17cm with a 90mm SuperAngulon.
Moved here parallel to the running-direction of the horses and shot 1/60sec.@f16
Scanned @4000dpi gives me 26772x9449px:
racing_klein.jpg

here at 5000px wide:
http://www.klausesser.de/racing.jpg

here at 5000px wide:

( Da war Schmodder auf der Linse <LACH> Ganz aussen rechts ueber dem Schatten an der Bande ;))

Most impressive!

Tell me the blue of the sky looks a bit odd to me, is that due to making it smaller for posting here?

I do not have a calibrated screen yet and I look at a rather old Samsung CRT, but it looks a little strange, purple ish where the trees are, and some artefacts as well which I have no idea what they are about.

Then again, looking at this stupid screen here probably causes the problems.

How many takes did you do for that shot? Tell us more about the setup, were you moved on a rail? Do you have shots from yourself doing that shot? I mean, someone shooting you in the process? :)

P.S.

:) The horsie of that green jockey is looking straight at you!

Klaus Esser

pro member
( Da war Schmodder auf der Linse <LACH> Ganz aussen rechts ueber dem Schatten an der Bande ;))

Most impressive!

Tell me the blue of the sky looks a bit odd to me, is that due to making it smaller for posting here?

I do not have a calibrated screen yet and I look at a rather old Samsung CRT, but it looks a little strange, purple ish where the trees are, and some artefacts as well which I have no idea what they are about.

Then again, looking at this stupid screen here probably causes the problems.

How many takes did you do for that shot? Tell us more about the setup, were you moved on a rail? Do you have shots from yourself doing that shot? I mean, someone shooting you in the process? :)

P.S.

:) The horsie of that green jockey is looking straight at you!

"The horsie of that green jockey is looking straight at you!"
That´s why i choosed the picture. In fact i had exactly ONE shot per race. They ran ONCE around the track from start to stop. There you have to conventrate very much to get an interesting fraction of a second.

On my calibrated system it looks very good - though this is a "rough" version and it´s converted not only from .PSB to .JPG but also to sRGB for being browser-ready.

"but it looks a little strange, purple ish where the trees are, and some artefacts as well which I have no idea what they are about."

"purple ish"??? Artefacts?? This is a motion blurred picture - blurred not by using a Photoshop filter but real motion blur by moving the camera fast with the horses. That was the aim.

Of course one can make a sharp shot of the scene (in fact i did some) but that´s boring. Motion was the word.

The "setup" was very simple: a camera, a lens and a photographer who had in mind what he wanted. And how to achive it . . :) : simply by moving the camera in a similar speed (by hand and twisting the body) as the horses passing by.