• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Incoming Eagle..and her nest

Eric Diller

As you all must know by now I am an Eagle freak! What a magnificent bird to watch and photograph. Today I went back to another nest to see how things were going. Local knowledge informed there is only one Juvenile in the nest....today I proved them wrong!

Had a cold front push through today so lighting was in and out.

Mama coming in low......

PIC_1701copy.jpg

Liittle guy stretching and.....hiding his sibling behind that wing,
PIC_1771copy.jpg

There he is (Juvi #2).......hiding on me for weeks!!!

PIC_1766copy.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
PIC_1701copy.jpg

This is awe-inspiring! I'm so impressed. I wouldn't want to be any little creature in this lady's way! The artistic wonder here is the recapitulation of the edges of the feathers in the blurred edges of the leaves in the trees. Be proud! You saw it feel it and now it's your picture.

BTW, how do you know which is which, ma and pa?

Asher

Eric Diller

Thanks to all of your nice comments. I got some nice ones today, didn't know if I should continue this thread or start a new one? These are from the same nest.

As you know...Eagles are my favorite!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks to all of your nice comments. I got some nice ones today, didn't know if I should continue this thread or start a new one? These are from the same nest.

As you know...Eagles are my favorite!

For the same subject with the same approach, same thread is perfect, makes easier to browse the fora!
We're all awaiting…

Eric Diller

I stand corrected, these are from the other nest 3 miles down the road. I lost track of which Eagle nest I was at (lol). In this nest we believe the Eaglets have hatched. We hear lots of noise and seeing a lot of fish going into the nest.
These are from 6 days ago, I still need to process yesterdays and todays! You really have to be on guard as the action usually unloads rather quick. Notice the fish went from feet to mouth for the landing.

Shot this with a 200-4--mm F4 Nikkor lens with a 1.4x TC. Once again I was with in 7 feet of the action.

PIC_1552copy.jpg

PIC_1569copy.jpg

PIC_1547copy.jpg

PIC_1587copy.jpg

Asher Kelman

That flip from the talons to the beak is a neat trick!

The feet and beak obviously are superbly integrated in behavior patterns!

Eric, keep at it; you'll have a book before you've finished! Have the chicks hatched?

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Wonderful Eric - I wish I could think of something else to say, but it sums it up, thank you for sharing all these fantastic shots with us.

I watched the BBC documentary Nature's Great Events last night, here's the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hq341/Natures_Great_Events_The_Great_Salmon_Run/ it was about the Grizzlys and the salmon had some amazing photography and some great shots of the eagles - made me think about you and Jamie with his bear shots. Well worth watching....

Eric Diller

Today I was caught off guard and didn't have the focal length I wanted. He came in so fast with the headless duck that i didn't want to try to change focal distance, fearing I would loose the whole landing. Eaglets are definitely hatched. You can hear them in the nest, plus the amount off food coming in to the nest is unbelievable.

Not the best pics, had some rough mid-day lighting. This is such an awesome sight to watch so close!

PIC_2313copy.jpg

PIC_2316copy.jpg

PIC_2326copy.jpg

Asher Kelman

Eric,

What lenses are you using for these shots with your nikon D200? Th EXIF of the first one gives 550mm. Is that a 400mm lens with a 1.4 extender or a fancy Sigma zoom, the "Bigma"?

Asher