• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

India - November 2016

Antonio Correia

My wife and myself we will be travelling to India, again, next November.

I will take my Panasonic GX7 and two zoom lenses. The 7-14 and the 24-40 both f/2.8 from Olympus.

I regret but I can't take neither the Panasonic Zeiss 42.5 f/1.2 nor the Panasonic Zeiss 15mm, as the pack becomes too heavy.

I am not sure but perhaps - just perhaps - I will also take an Olympus 5 OMD-II which I will be borrowing from a friend of mines.

With these two cameras and the two zooms I have much versatility.

However, I must not forget the chargers as well the 13" MacBookPro and the iPhone. Too many things to drag and carry, I am afraid...

I am needing a new bag for this combo. With the ever increasing restrictions for the flights to travel with photographic equipment is more and more difficult.

I have been searching and found this thinktank rolling case to be quite good.

But the size is a bit away from cabin restrictions. And I am not willing to pay for the baggage!
Must be a roller case to drag in the long corridors of airports.
Any suggestions, please ?

I will be flying Emirates in the hennery (economy class)

i-W35Qtpv-L.jpg
i-xBSWbBX-L.jpg
i-dBKtVsJ-XL.png

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/airport-series/products/airport-navigator

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wonderful for the both of you. We will get to enjoy India through your eyes!

Consider the iPad instead of your laptop. I believe that Adobe Lightemroom works on it!

The new ones have touch screen, amazing for editing I'd think. I wonder if one can use a Wacom pen?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher.

I do not have an iPad so far... and, on the other side, I must keep the files somewhere.

To do so, the Macbook is very good as the web is very poor around there.

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher.

I do not have an iPad so far... and, on the other side, I must keep the files somewhere.

To do so, the Macbook is very good as the web is very poor around there.

Antonio,

As a matter of interest, how much weight do you think you are saving having this 4/3 system than your previous full frame DSLR?

Think of those poor Pentax 645Z photographers with 4 Sherpas schlepping the equivalent lens capabilities, 0.5 kilometers behind you, LOL!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Think of those poor Pentax 645Z photographers with 4 Sherpas schlepping the equivalent lens capabilities, 0.5 kilometers behind you, LOL!
Asher

Oh! C'mon Asher!
I have in my Lower rolling case going into almost all airplane/companies :
645 D
645 Z
DFA645 55 mm ƒ 2.8 AL (IF)
smc FA 645 80-160mm f4.5
smc FA 645 300 mm f4 ED (IF)
SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL [IF] SDM AW
HD D-FA 645 Macro 90mm F 2.8 AW SR
smc FA 645 120 mm f/4,0 macro

Plus batteries = moreless 16 kg (35 pounds)…

I'm not a teen since decades! But the Sherpa is a good idea! ;)

Asher Kelman

Oh! C'mon Asher!
I have in my Lower rolling case going into almost all airplane/companies :
645 D
645 Z
DFA645 55 mm ƒ 2.8 AL (IF)
smc FA 645 80-160mm f4.5
smc FA 645 300 mm f4 ED (IF)
SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL [IF] SDM AW
HD D-FA 645 Macro 90mm F 2.8 AW SR
smc FA 645 120 mm f/4,0 macro

Plus batteries = moreless 16 kg (35 pounds)…

I'm not a teen since decades! But the Sherpa is a good idea! ;)

Actually you do deserve a Sherpa, Nicolas. I'll see if she is free to go to France for a bit!

Asher

nicolas claris

Antonio
it is sometimes a problem, mostly with low-cost companies…
The problem is more the weight then the size of the rolling case which is conform to IATA (but low cost companies, rarely accept the compliance to IATA :(

Some tricks I've used:
- Generally the control is at the gate when you go into the plane, then:
- I open the case and show what is inside and telling the price of it.
This generally works
- If it doesn't, I ask to talk to the captain (he's allowed to allow you.
If he's not ok, I say "Ok, I understand, but I'm a pro traveling for my business, if I can't take my gear, I don't take the plane, but be aware that I have another luggage in the trunk…
Till now (I've done that a couple of time) it always worked!

A more easy trick is to have a car with a bag inside like this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032318-REG/lowepro_lp36697_pro_roller_x100_aw.html

Then you put the case in the trunk and keep your gear in the inner bag with you…

I have had 2 of these, one fate the other, they are a bit "pricey" each one for about 5 years, travelled Bangladesh, islands, roads, airports by dozens never had any prob…

Romain has a similar roller case, but you can also wear it on your back… handy!

Robert Watcher

With the equipent you describe, I can't imagine that you would have issues getting your gear onto a plane Anthony. I haven't flown Emerates. We always choose the cheapest flights which for us over the past 8 1/2 years has been primarily Spirit (economy airline) and a few times American Airlines and Delta.

On any of these, i am always allowed one carryon (goes overhead bin) and one personal item that goes under the seat in front on me. My Lowpro Mini Trekker backpack (https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Mini-Trekker-AW-Black/dp/B00009R85Z ) is my Personal item and slides under the seat of every plane I have been on. I purchased it 9 years ago, specifically to fit under an airplane seat - knowing the maximum dimmensions allowed. As for weight limitations? I have never been asked. I make good use of the sternum strap when walking distances. That totally takes the weight off my 60 year old body and allows me to bend and pick up things and even sit in a chair without the straps falling off.

Since getting rid of my large DSLR gear, I have more space to pack stuff in my backpack (making it just as heavy as before). For my extended trips, I am packing inside the main compartment Olympus EM-1 with grip, EM-10, and because I had the space EPL-1 with Holga lens - 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses and 45 f1.8 - Youngnuo flash - a set of wireless flash triggers - Bose Bluetooth speaker, 4 - 2TB usb3 Hard Drives (I store all data files on external drives - only apps on Macbook) - card reader, glasses, 2 camera battery chargers (I got rid of the cords) - 4 extra camera batteries and a stack of AA's, cables for cameras and HDMI cable with macbook adaptor - my Samsung phone and iPad 4. My 13 inch Macbook Air slips in the back outside pocket and computer power cords and camera manual go in front outside pocket.

The only thing I can't fit in is my recording gear - so I have a small zippered bag that I put in the overhead suitcase, that holds my Zoom5 Recorder and large diaphram condensor mic and shock mount. I want anything valuable, with me at all times. I fill this bag up with underwear, socks, set of clothes and anything to get me by if my big luggage bag doesn't show up for some reason.

I don't know that a lot of photographers even consider putting their camera under their seat as a persobal item - where there are no airline restrictions other than it fits. I feel that is the best way to go from personal experience.

I know you are experienced in travel, so I am not trying to tell you what to do. I just can't imagine needing anything more than what I take - except maybe a big lens or two --- and having any problems getting it on the plane with you, if you used a similar approach. Actually if I weren't going for long stints of 5 or 9 months, I would be eliminating a lot of the stuff I pack in, and getting a smaller bag and reducing weight drastically.

-----

I know you are after wheels for comfort, but something to consider with using overhead storage for your valuables. What if the airline is full and you can't find a space to fit your bag. It will have to go under with luggage. As well, with many of the Boeing jets we have flown on, my overhead suitcase will only fit in the right side overhead compartment. My suitcase fits the required dimmensions but is a tad to long for the left side compartment. so what if there were no spaces left on the right side - it has to go underneath. Actually a good tidbit to know. If you can't fit your bag in the overhead bin, try the compartment on the otherside of the plane. And what about if you have to take a connecting flight along the way? Generally they are smaller planes with tighter restrictions.

A REAL LEARNING EXPERIENCE THIS YEAR:

On this trip to Guatemala, boarding the plane in Dallas with a long line of people behind us - we were told the flight was full and that my overhead suitcase had to go into checked. I had no recourse and was worried enough because even though my camera gear was safe in front of my feet - my zoom recorder, mic, and my wife's 17" PC were in that overhead bag and not really packed for abuse. Fortunately all came through unscathed. As well, our first flight from Canada to Chicago was with American Eagle on a 50 seat Embraer jet.. The overhead compartments were too small for the standard overhead size. I had no choice but to concede my overhead luggage to checked.

I just found this interesting article with some tips and somewhat supports the methods I have used to travel: https://www.slrlounge.com/airline-travel-tips-for-photographers/

All the best Antonio.

Antonio Correia

Asher, look please.

The Canon camera considered is the old 5D.

The Panasonic is the GX7

Olympus 7-14 f/2.8 is really heavy !

Olympus 14-40 is f/2.8

i-QFZN5b5-XL.jpg

nicolas claris

It's the 1st time I see that the quality of a camera is quantified by its weight!
LoL!
Antonio! you're going to do an extraordinary travel!
This doesn't happen every day of your life, take the camera you're in love with for what it delivers!
If this one is too heavy, take one lens off.
My 2 cts of € and congrats in advance for what you'll bring back… know there will be some gems!

Antonio Correia

Nicolas, I did not compare the quality of the lenses with their weight.

Well, that was not my intention, anyway.

I was just comparing the weight of two sets of lenses and cameras assuming they are different.

Antonio, As a matter of interest, how much weight do you think you are saving having this 4/3 system than your previous full frame DSLR? ...

Anyway, I think most quality lenses are heavy ! As much as they are expensive !

Perhaps I am wrong...

And... I do not want to pay for extra weight luggage because I am not a professional photographer and I do not travel to work, but to enjoy the places I go to.

:)
balan%C3%A7a-e1386946728643.jpg

Asher Kelman

Wide angle lenses can be replaced by stitching. Telephoto by more pixels. So a fast 50 mm with 50 MP body is likely to be the most efficient.

I would choose the Sony A7R IIB with the 50 mm Sony 1.4 lens and go first class!

Asher

nicolas claris

Nicolas, I did not compare the quality of the lenses with their weight.

Well, that was not my intention, anyway.

I was just comparing the weight of two sets of lenses and cameras assuming they are different.
Antonio, of course, I know, I was just joking!

Anyway, I think most quality lenses are heavy ! As much as they are expensive !

Perhaps I am wrong...
You're right!

And... I do not want to pay for extra weight luggage because I am not a professional photographer and I do not travel to work, but to enjoy the places I go to.

This is not a relevant argument, I agree for the weight, but for the rest, I'm sure you're demanding at least as much as my clients…
You will not want to miss a shot… So yes, bring the best body with one or two of your best lens.

I do not completely agree with Asher, a long focal lens cannot be just replaced by cropping, a long focal lens has other aspects than just zooming in… otherwise, you also just need to walk to the right distance… which is still not the same effects, this different way of framing a long way subject have different results.
I know you know : )

Bon voyage Antonio, we're waiting for your images!

Asher Kelman

I do not completely agree with Asher, a long focal lens cannot be just replaced by cropping, a long focal lens has other aspects than just zooming in… otherwise, you also just need to walk to the right distance… which is still not the same effects, this different way of framing a long way subject have different results.

I know you know : )

Nicolas,

I don't agree with Asher totally either!

?

I am so self-conflicted here, but weight considerations are more important when on vacation. A small WA and a pocketable 70-200 f 4.0 are the variables I might go for too.

However, if one is going to a birding tour along a river on a flatboat, one needs 400-600 mm and a tripod, so that's where Sherpas come in to help out!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

Well, of course one always needs to walk to the right place!

But that having been said, for a certain camera location, the "perspective" is unaffected by focal length.

So if we shoot from a certain location, and in any case "frame" the wanted material the same way by cropping (different for different focal length lenses we might use), the perspective will be identical.

There are of course further implications of the use different focal lengths, notably on depth of field or its cousin, out-of-focus-blur performance.

But you know that.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Nicolas,

...and Dear Doug,

the right composition for the "look" that lens delivers. The differences in perspective are likely "normalized" in our brains anyway based on other similar compositions. We do not perceive things exactly as they are either with our own eyes or with the lens.

So what counts is have some lens and then moving to the best position with that lens, be it 35mm or 50 mm, we eventually perceive it as being as it should be, if it was taken with that normal intent.

If one is too close, then perspective interferes with such presumption of "normalcy" unless the image is viewed up very very close from the same subtending angle.

The bottom line is that from about 28mm to about 90 mm we can get normal looking images at any usual snapping distance!

Absolute need for special lenses comes from either interest in macro, sports and the like or wildlife at a distance. Here one cannot walk to the subject with that 50 mm lens!

Today, an entire wedding can be shot with just one 50mm lens with a nice large aperture and one's feet! Most vacations too, although a single 28 mm lens might be better for the latter.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

...and Dear Doug,

the right composition for the "look" that lens delivers. The differences in perspective are likely "normalized" in our brains anyway based on other similar compositions. We do not perceive things exactly as they are either with our own eyes or with the lens.

It is so important that we recognize that!

So what counts is have some lens and then moving to the best position with that lens, be it 35mm or 50 mm, we eventually perceive it as being as it should be, if it was taken with that normal intent.

If one is too close, then perspective interferes with such presumption of "normalcy" unless the image is viewed up very very close from the same subtending angle.

The bottom line is that from about 28mm to about 90 mm we can get normal looking images at any usual snapping distance!

Absolute need for special lenses comes from either interest in macro, sports and the like or wildlife at a distance. Here one cannot walk to the subject with that 50 mm lens!

Today, an entire wedding can be shot with just one 50mm lens with a nice large aperture and one's feet! Most vacations too, although a single 28 mm lens might be better for the latter.

Amazing how, many decades ago, I was delighted to travel the world with my Yashica Lynx-5000 (full-frame 35-mm film) and its 45 mm f/1.8 fixed lens.

And it has been a joy to see in the forum some of the wonderful work (and tales of wonderful adventures) with fixed-focal length lens cameras.

As they say in Texan, "What goes around comes around."

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

Hi, Nicolas,

But that having been said, for a certain camera location, the "perspective" is unaffected by focal length.

So if we shoot from a certain location, and in any case "frame" the wanted material the same way by cropping (different for different focal length lenses we might use), the perspective will be identical.

There are of course further implications of the use different focal lengths, notably on depth of field or its cousin, out-of-focus-blur performance.

But you know that.

Best regards,

Doug

Dear Doug
Sorry, I replied before to you there.
I won't discuss your point about the perspective, I'm not qualified, you are certainly, with no doubt, right.
However the feeling about it won't be the same. I guess because of DoF, but also one will not appreciate the distance between ≠ plans to be at the same distance, every things seems to be closer one to each other when the shot is done with a longer focal.
But you know that. ; )
there is no universal lens, it is always a matter of choice to match one’s vision.
I therefore understands the problem of Antonio (to return to the thread!) He will have to make tradeoffs, and is the only one to know his preferences and his vision and what he will do with his images when back home.
As for me, in this situation, it even happened to me to bring one lens only! Challenging…

Antonio Correia

Antonio
it is sometimes a problem, mostly with low-cost companies…
The problem is more the weight then the size of the rolling case which is conform to IATA (but low cost companies, rarely accept the compliance to IATA :(

Some tricks I've used:
- Generally the control is at the gate when you go into the plane, then:
- I open the case and show what is inside and telling the price of it.
This generally works
- If it doesn't, I ask to talk to the captain (he's allowed to allow you.
If he's not ok, I say "Ok, I understand, but I'm a pro traveling for my business, if I can't take my gear, I don't take the plane, but be aware that I have another luggage in the trunk…
Till now (I've done that a couple of time) it always worked!

A more easy trick is to have a car with a bag inside like this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032318-REG/lowepro_lp36697_pro_roller_x100_aw.html

Then you put the case in the trunk and keep your gear in the inner bag with you…

I have had 2 of these, one fate the other, they are a bit "pricey" each one for about 5 years, travelled Bangladesh, islands, roads, airports by dozens never had any prob…

Romain has a similar roller case, but you can also wear it on your back… handy!

Thank you Nicolas for letting me know about your practical experience.

... I therefore understands the problem of Antonio (to return to the thread!) He will have to make tradeoffs, and is the only one to know his preferences and his vision and what he will do with his images when back home.
As for me, in this situation, it even happened to me to bring one lens only! Challenging…

This Nicolas - one camera, one lens - is indeed the best and more practical option.
It even gives place for a neutral on/and a polarizing filter... 24-80 is perfectly enough for this kind of photography.
We will go to Ajanta Caves and there perhaps the wide angle would be more interesting to use but we can't have everything can we ? :) :)
While the lens @80 will do the job for the portraits...
Even the medium Gorilla tripod can be taken !

This solution solves my problem of weight ! :)
But still one "problem" to overcome: the MacBook. It is easier to solve...

nicolas claris

Thank you Nicolas for letting me know about your practical experience.

This Nicolas - one camera, one lens - is indeed the best and more practical option.
It even gives place for a neutral on/and a polarizing filter... 24-80 is perfectly enough for this kind of photography.
We will go to Ajanta Caves and there perhaps the wide angle would be more interesting to use but we can't have everything can we ? :) :)
While the lens @80 will do the job for the portraits...
Even the medium Gorilla tripod can be taken !

This solution solves my problem of weight ! :)
But still one "problem" to overcome: the MacBook. It is easier to solve...

Good! Glad I could modestly help you to make your decision : )
I forgot to say, that when I wrote one lens only, it was a fix focal lens… With a zoom lens, you'll be the king!
However, I think that one unique focal, is challenging but forces you to adapt to it and find the right framing, also it gives a style to a whole work…

As for the MacBook, of course it is needed for saving your photos, but will also, from time to time with wifi, to post some in OPF ; )

Antonio Correia

Good! Glad I could modestly help you to make your decision : )
I forgot to say, that when I wrote one lens only, it was a fix focal lens… With a zoom lens, you'll be the king!
However, I think that one unique focal, is challenging but forces you to adapt to it and find the right framing, also it gives a style to a whole work…
As for the MacBook, of course it is needed for saving your photos, but will also, from time to time with wifi, to post some in OPF ; )

Indeed, this time, I am intending to post some images in OPF from time to time.

We have asked - if having wifi in hotels - to be given a device so we can have web in those parts.

Later, I will post the map of the tour.

Antonio Correia

With the equipment you describe, I can't imagine that you would have issues getting your gear onto a plane Anthony. I haven't flown Emirates. We always choose the cheapest flights which for us over the past 8 1/2 years has been primarily Spirit (economy airline) and a few times American Airlines and Delta... All the best Antonio.

Thank you Robert for your long text ! :)
Much appreciated.
Look what Emirates say:
i-dBKtVsJ-L.png
The flight restrictions are more and more demanding. For example, the domestic flights in India - and we should be taking 2 of them (done this before) - have even tighter restrictions with only 7Kg per hand bag, like now with Emirates.
It also happens that sometimes they do not care about it. In India at least.
But sometimes they do ! So, better be on the safe side.

"...I fill this bag up with underwear, socks, set of clothes and anything to get me by if my big luggage bag doesn't show up for some reason..."
Well done !
You take a lot of equipment Robert !... even the flash !

Never had any issue with luggage on the overhead compartment, even when I was taking a lot of equipement. Perhaps then some 12 kilograms ! With wheels, with wheels... :)

Thank you Robert for the link ! I will have a look.

Robert Watcher

Much appreciated.
Look what Emirates say:
i-dBKtVsJ-L.png
The flight restrictions are more and more demanding. For example, the domestic flights in India - and we should be taking 2 of them (done this before) - have even tighter restrictions with only 7Kg per hand bag, like now with Emirates.
It also happens that sometimes they do not care about it. In India at least.
But sometimes they do ! So, better be on the safe side.

"...I fill this bag up with underwear, socks, set of clothes and anything to get me by if my big luggage bag doesn't show up for some reason..."
Well done !
You take a lot of equipment Robert !... even the flash !

Never had any issue with luggage on the overhead compartment, even when I was taking a lot of equipement. Perhaps then some 12 kilograms ! With wheels, with wheels... :)

Thank you Robert for the link ! I will have a look.

I think that your confusion providing the dimensions and weight restrictions, is that I am referring to my camera bag being taken on the plane as a Personal Item that fits under the seat - not as a Carry On that goes in the overhead. While there is clear requirements for the Carry On luggage that goes in the overhead bin - there is no such declaration for the size and weight of Personal Items with most airlines - including Emerites. Going to their website under "Cabin baggage rules" only describes the Carry On requirements you will find.

Many airlines don’t publish rules for personal items. The airlines that do have rules don’t agree on the size of personal items that they allow. The TSA’s website says that you are allowed “one personal item such as a laptop computer, purse, small backpack, briefcase, or camera case.” Different airlines see different items as acceptable however the intention is the same as what is described by TSA I think.

All I am going on is my personal experience of boarding probably 50 different airplanes over the past few years with 4 different airlines in America, though. I have never flown with Emerites.

My camera bag measurements are a bit under 17" long, a bit under 13" wide and around 9 inches in depth. The weight of the empty bag is only like 2-1/2 pounds so if I needed to, I could easily keep the weight under 15lb total with my micro 4/3 gear and macbook air. A larger dimension than that would not fit under the cabin seats.

I looked at Lowepro's website and there are similar bags to mine that are much smaller if using an 11" Macbook and even smaller if not taking a laptop. The current Lowepro lineup that is similar to my bag, appears to the Paratactic. You can see the different sizes and measurements here - http://www.lowepro.com/protactic

I imagine that all camera bag companies have something similar. All I can do is attest to the unbelievable durability of my bag (comes with a lifetime warranty to boot) - and that never has equipment carried in it, been damaged. Even laptops and hard drives bouncing around and being squeezed into small spaces.

------

Robert Watcher

OK - So I had to Chuckle at this statement of my practical, real life explanation being "long text" - when I look at the other craziness of posts in this thread - with the silly (at least to me) drawing, charts, calculations and comparisons that are not going to do anything other than scare a person from taking camera gear with them on planes. It takes forever just to find some tidbit of useful info that can help.

I mean - my goodness. You find the max dimensions and weight allowed for your overhead and pack accordingly - and then if you feel there is some merit in following my very good suggestion to make use of your personal item space under the seat for the reasons that I have shown to benefit - I recommend doing so, even if it just one camera and lens and a laptop in a plastic bag LOL.

Anyway - I am just teasing about craziness of the posts - it doesn't matter to me how one approaches packing their gear for travel. Plus you are probably viewing my post scrolling and scrolling on an iPhone with 5 words per line LOL.

The only other alternative is:

If your gear is too big for these spaces - as is the case with many pros who are taking large amounts of big gear and flashes etc - - - then you have to think differently and crate up the gear so that it withstands the abuse of the cargo bay. Or pack it well and ship it separately and ahead of time as some prefer to do - so that if there are delays in it arriving - you have it to do the job.

OK - so here is some useful info related to your concerns of weight.

BTW - I just weighed my camera bag full of what I take as shown in the video. It weighs just under 20 pounds in total. By taking out 3 of the external hard drives, my heavy Bose bluetooth speaker, my 3'rd camera and the Olympus E-M1's vertical battery grip, and the big flash - - - I am down to around 12 pounds. That's still got my 2 cameras, 3 lenses, iPad and Macbook Air, same number of batteries and other goodies. I don't think that it should be too difficult to stay within the airlines guidelines.

Your two lenses are heavier than my 3 lenses - but an iPad or batteries or the extra hard drive if not needed could be left out at probably the same weight. Just something to think about.

Anne and I have a portable scale that we purchased cheaply at Walmart - that we always carry with us. My best advice is to get one of those scales and put all of the gear that you have and want to take with you, gently into a bag and hook the fishhook on a knot at the top and what things weigh. And then start taking items out if needed.

All the best.

______

fahim mohammed

Antonio, Emirates's ' Hennery ' is better than most.

And strict regulations, if enforced, by Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar airways as far as carry-on luggage weight is 7 kgs. You could of course get away a kilo this way or that.

Best.