• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Indigo Bunting on Sunflowers.

Don Ferguson Jr.

Indigo Bunting on sunflowers. I was happy to get this pretty bird before it flew this week.
Don

IB SF-2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Don,

My first view of an Indigo Bunting. I looked for the EXIF and it’s missing: I wanted to see what lens gave that perfectly smooth “Bokeh”?

08328CFD-32B0-40CF-A684-C48B338EAF64.jpeg

What a beauty!

I should plant sunflowers!

.....but I will read up about their habitat first!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Ahah!

It’s not a Coastal California visitor!

EC52CF13-D7A3-4DD6-ABFC-0CE4051A4B53.jpeg

From Wikipedia (Public Domain)

So that’s a male in its summer mating plumage

Attachments

• C3CC0683-C20B-4BFB-B85B-C2FEB6208713.jpeg
    C3CC0683-C20B-4BFB-B85B-C2FEB6208713.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 100

Don Ferguson Jr.

Thanks, Asher, look back had an IB in tree last month. He was in breeding blue pretty too. I took them with Canon R5 and 800 RF f11.
Loving the 800 and if you have good BG separation it shines. This bird was in huge field of sunflowers that is a Wildlife Management Area in S.C. The sunflowers are grown for public dove hunting so huge sunflowers.
Took this with phone standing on top of a bush hog.
Don

E9F7EA25-7A96-4BC7-AD55-1EA72A08447D.jpeg

Asher Kelman

Don,

What an outstanding 2021 achievement wildlife photography!

Imagine the weight of a 7D Mark II and 500 mm lens with a X 1.4 extender at 700mm or a 400mm with a 2x extender on that! Any combination would be 2.5 Lb heavier!

Also you likely have far more stops of IS, if you do BIF!

I would have loved to see this with the 2 X extender as you would LUT more pixels on the bird!

Any other gleanings from that shoot to share?

Asher