• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Interior of a sailing yacht

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Last week I had to shoot the entire interior of a 80 feet (24 meters) sailing yacht, a Shipman 80, built in Slovenia.

Below is the Salon, no added light, only boat's…

Schneider Super-Angulon PQ 3.5/40 mm - eMotion 75 - ƒ16 - ISO 100 - 8 sec. mirror locked

1F899098_AP.jpg

100% crop:

1F899098_AP_crop.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

That's some real improvement Nicolas! So how were the first set of pictures processed and what are the different process steps applied to the second set?

Cheers,

Cem

PS: I think that you have got the best job in the world, you lucky devil! <big grin>

nicolas claris

Bonsoir Cem
the problem with these file is that, in Tiff 16 bit they're 190 Mb! each try takes long time…;-)

Sinar has a SW (Mac only) called CaptureShop, my findings are that there are some issues for me:
- Highlight clipping
- Difficult Kelvin settings (color wheel only) this is due to the fact that "normally" the former camera where mostly for indoor or controlled lighting, hence doing a WB is easy with a greycard. My conditions of working with interior mixed light or exterior always changing light make difficult, almost impossible, to work with a greay card…

But its demoisacing is fabulous…

Tomorrow (really) or within a few days the Sinar new SW called eXposure should be out and should resolve all my findings…

SO, after some research, my workflow came to use the Brumbaer tools to convert the original Sinar emotion back files to DNG, with an incredible capacit to recover highlights.

Then I could work the DNG with Apple's Aperture, Captue One 4, ACR or Lightroom.
It is not a secret for those reading me oftenly that I don't like (or don't know how to use) ACR nor LR.

So C1 v4 and Aperture were the solutions for me, but the results depends of the kind of shot (interior/exterior, high/low ISO, etc.) I still can't guess at first which one to start with…

I bet this will be rapidly forgotten as soon as I get my hands on eXposure :)

To answer more specifically to your question, the main difference is the 1St attempt were with Aperture, the 2nd with C1 v4.
The difficulty was to catch and preserve the dynamic range which is large! from deep shadows to highlighted whites (below the table/white towels)

The files made by this camera/lens/back are amazing and I start to wonder how I'll be able to send them back to Sinar ;-)

I hope this answers to your question…

As far as:
PS: I think that you have got the best job in the world, you lucky devil! <big grin>

May I let you know that I should be in Istanbul for 3 to 4 days next week? shooting a fast 70 feet powerboat… <hehehe :->

Michael Fontana

pro member
Nicolas, Bonsoir

I like that shot very much; it shows very good the interior of the yacht. Beeing othogonal, no big perspective distracts from viewing the boat and its design.

I personally prefer the C1, as my feeling is that the °built° of the shadow is nicer.
Doesn't Aperture slows down very much, with these big DNGs?

Please, could we see a crop of the outside's black? To have a öook at the noise...

nicolas claris

Hey! Bonsoir Michael
Good to hear from you, hope you're well (and Roman too…)!

Yes Aperture is slowed down even the latest version (2.1)
I do also prefer the C1 version, C1 has better overall IQ, maybe because I'm a long time user of C1pro…

I'll post a crop of the black tomorrow, as it is on my office computer…

FYI I also have 3 vertical shots made with the Sinar, they stitch very well with autopano (were shot with RRS ballhead) but I want to rework them with files processed with C1 ;-)
As a result the final file is 125 cm x 60 cm @ 300 dpi straight out of camera (I mean without any PP enlargement)!

I'll post results soon…

Wonderful images Nicolas. The second try is definitely my favorite of the two. The wood shows to be so much more rich and dark than in the first. Ah to be able to own such a boat. I keep being amazed at what you can do with that equipment. Speaking of, do you not think that Sinar will let you keep it once the year is finished? They should.
James Newman

nicolas claris

Michael, as you asked :

1F899098_C1-4_Black.jpg

What about some wine?

1F899098_C1-4_wine.jpg

There is still margin for some improvement (re noise and a very few CA on the forks that it is easy to get rid of) with both the photog and the PP
…;-)

But I like the way the blacks and highlights are present…

nicolas claris

Wonderful images Nicolas. The second try is definitely my favorite of the two. The wood shows to be so much more rich and dark than in the first. Ah to be able to own such a boat. I keep being amazed at what you can do with that equipment. Speaking of, do you not think that Sinar will let you keep it once the year is finished? They should.
James Newman
Thanks for the kind words James…
How I would like the Sinar people to read this!
But I'm here to report arrgggllll!

I am curious about the difference from Capture Shop to the Capture One 4 results. - Then again, I know only very little about MFDB and my thoughts might not even apply here. - As far as I understand, Camera RAW or Lightroom for example do not work with camera profiles, capture one does.

Did you create and send a Hy6 Profile to C1 prior to development?

What about Capture shop does this work with profiles?

How did you set the whitebalance?

What colorspace do you use in general when you develop the eMotion data, ProPhoto RGB?

nicolas claris

Now the owner's stateroom…

Schneider Super-Angulon PQ 3.5/40 mm - eMotion 75 - ƒ16 - ISO 100 - 5 sec. mirror locked

4 horizontal images stitched… 15000 (yes 15 thousand) pixels by 4723… do the maths… 70,5 million pixels image without enlargement (in fact about 10% downscale)!

Processed with Capture one 4, then assembled with Autopano:

Panos_4%20images_cab_C1-4.jpg

100% crop:

Panos_4%20images_cab_C1-4_crop.jpg

Tonight or tomorrow… Video of the making of…

Last edited:

Ron Morse

The camera, your skills with it and the boat. I am totally in awe. That yacht is what dreams are made of and you show it so well.

I think I will go sulk into the storage garage and polish my boat now.

nicolas claris

Thanks Ron

wait a bit more I am actually uploading the making of in video… stay tuned !

Last edited:

nicolas claris

You can see the video of the "Making Of", shot, edited and music made by Romain Claris :

HERE

Sound on!

Thanks for your patience while the video loads…

Last edited:

nicolas claris

I am curious about the difference from Capture Shop to the Capture One 4 results. - Then again, I know only very little about MFDB and my thoughts might not even apply here. - As far as I understand, Camera RAW or Lightroom for example do not work with camera profiles, capture one does.

Did you create and send a Hy6 Profile to C1 prior to development?

What about Capture shop does this work with profiles?

How did you set the whitebalance?

What colorspace do you use in general when you develop the eMotion data, ProPhoto RGB?

Hi Georg
As far as I understand, as far as you use a DNG file, there is no need to profile in C1 v4

As of today and my knowledge, no other SW than CaptureShop can handle the Sinar back file (.sti).

If you want to use another SW for demoisacing these files, for now (still waiting for Sinar's new RD eXposure) the only way is to make a DNG of it user the Brumbaer tools (Google Brumbaer and you'll see the website).

If you read my post above, it explains the pluses of it and the issues I found in CShop…

WB is set to my taste in C1 (which is almost impossible in CShop)…

On the other hand, when shooting, a Black Reference is automatically calibrated with all exposure times and is automatically repeated every 15 minutes. With exposure times of more than 1 second, when altering the exposure time by more than 10%, automatically a new Black Reference is taken subsequently to an image capture.
Additionnaly, one can do before every new shoot a white reference shot, with a 10x10cm white diffuser, provided by sinar which one put in front of the lens.

Both Black and White references are used by CShop and Brumbaer DNG converter…

I use Adobe RGB whicj is AFAIK the native colorspace of emotion Sinar backs… of course 16 bits (190 Mb per file) and swith only to sRGB and 8 bit at the end if needed for web…

nicolas claris

You can see the video of the "Making Of", shot, edited and music made by Romain Claris :

HERE

Sound on!

Thanks for your patience while the video loads…

Sorry a bad code did set the buffering time for 600 secondes, which for a 2'30 film is quite long!

It is set now to 30 sec…

Nicolas,

Thanks for sharing, it was fun to watch and Romain's music was well adapted to the environment. The video demonstrated the benefits of a waistlevel (or angle) finder when having to handle/rotate the equipment in a tight space and your RRS BH55 with pano-clamp (PCL1) is a good tool for this type of shooting (level the ballhead, lock, mount the camera, and rotate the camera around the PCL).

The video also showed your love for the subject and respect for the owner, since you removed your shoes and carefully manoeuvred through the ship on your socks. They picked the right person to do the shooting.

Bart

John_Nevill

Nicolas.

Nice video and interesting music, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for the images, superb!

As far as I understand, as far as you use a DNG file, there is no need to profile in C1 v4

I'm not sure on this, the DNG format is only a standardised wrapper for the RAW file. AFAIK, Colour profiling still needs to be done in C1-4. Well it did on my Ricoh GRD II DNG files.

The default neutral DNG profile was off the mark with serious magenta cast and oversaturation in primaries and secondaries.

Ron Morse

Its hard to imagine how good this camera is. Of course it is only as good as the man behind it.

This post and the video have been very enjoyable.

nicolas claris

I'm not sure on this, the DNG format is only a standardised wrapper for the RAW file. AFAIK, Colour profiling still needs to be done in C1-4. Well it did on my Ricoh GRD II DNG files.

The default neutral DNG profile was off the mark with serious magenta cast and oversaturation in primaries and secondaries.

Bonsoir John

sorry to be late on this!

I guess you're right, but at least you may open "exotic" files… I found that the default settings were better with C1-4 than with the other RC…

John_Nevill

Nicolas.

I've also had it confirmed that C1-4 doesn't output embedded camera profiles correctly, by default it will colormetrically renders them to sRGB, even if one chooses the "embedded camera profile" as the output colorspace.

It's a another little buglet, that will hopefully be corrected in 4.02.

So no chance of building accurate custom profiles. I wondered why my little Ricoh's gamut fitted inside sRGB. It was remapped before profiling.

Sorry for the off topic!

nicolas claris

Thanks John
Workflow discussion for raw Sinar file is not OT here ;-)

The good news (at least I hope so) is that the new eXposure from Sinar should be out next Monday… (as announced by Thierry Haggenauer in another thread). Of course I guess it won't handle the Ricoh's files ;-)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Beeing rather busy, I' m responding a bit late....

Thanks Nicolas for the shadow and highlight image, as well as the stitch; and yes, the shadows in the singleshot and off course the pano, they both look very promising.

The pano, is it about 200 degrees, horizontal?

A side-question: when shooting the pano and the yacht °wabbles° a bit, doesn't the tripot is moving as well?

nicolas claris

Bonjour Michael
photographer busy: photographer happy! ;-)

The salon pano is a bout 120% (3 V shots)
The cabin pano, I'll check but I think it's about 170° (4 H shots with a lot of covering)

The boat was alongside a dock in a marina, so it was quite calm, but even when it moves a bit, the risk for the tripod to move are very little. It's a quite big boat :)
What would be annoying is of they had an AC generator running because it creates some vibrations… this happen when the boat is anchored in a tropical mooring and we need airconditionning to ba able to work inside the boat… temp. may come very high !-)

Klaus Esser

pro member
Beeing rather busy, I' m responding a bit late....

Thanks Nicolas for the shadow and highlight image, as well as the stitch; and yes, the shadows in the singleshot and off course the pano, they both look very promising.

The pano, is it about 200 degrees, horizontal?

A side-question: when shooting the pano and the yacht °wabbles° a bit, doesn't the tripot is moving as well?

Hi Michael!

Because the tripod moves with the boat, there´s no movement in the picture at all. If the tripod doesnt vibrate in itself or the camara´s mirror shakes it (i had that with a H3D recently . . )

The same is with cameras mounted in cars or on the car´s outside - the car´s interior doesen´t move in relation to the camera.

(sorry, Nic, for bumping in)

best, Klaus

Michael Fontana

pro member
Klaus

off course I was aware, what you' re describing - the tripod moving with the boat.

Still, when the yacht moves, the tripod can slide a bit. So my question was relating to my experience that when stitching, I avoided the slightest move of the tripod/panohead/cam, and used a quite heavy tripod, to have some mass under the cam.

nicolas claris

Hi Michael

I checked on a layout plan, the cabin pano is 140°.

Re. movement this boat when loaded (tanks full, and all gear being on board) should load about 35 to 38 tons… not so easy to shake! once inside a marina, no one can notice a movement… or should it be, it is very smooth and won't allow a good standard tripod to slip…

Mirror was locked cause of the low shutter speed…