• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Is this a portrait at work or play?

fahim mohammed

or not a portrait at all||

p1325500820-4.jpg

What do you say?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

p1325500820-4.jpg

What do you say?
Well, it is a wondrous image, both just as an image and because it becomes a vehicle for you to pose an insightful question.

Our most important work is to learn. We do it when we study Boolean algebra texts, and when we read the great novels (and some not-so-great), and when we make a picture frame, and when we sit in the café, and when we operate our camera, or a lathe, and when we try to color—inside the lines or not, as is most suitable to our objective.

With a little luck, all play is learning, and learning is our work.

Now that I am retired, I can work all day long. Some think it is play. I certainly hope so.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thoughtful presentation!

p1325500820-4.jpg

What do you say?

Interesting and illustrative, Fahim. We see absorption in the process that transcends portrait of an individual to that of a concept. However, once we see her face, as part of a series, then this too will be a personal portrait as we'll know her already.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Hi Doug.

Thank you for the comments.

Might I say, your comments too are insightful!! :)

I guess, since we both are retired, that retirement is but a change of one learning playground for another.

Best to you both.

Hi, Fahim,

Well, it is a wondrous image, both just as an image and because it becomes a vehicle for you to pose an insightful question.

Our most important work is to learn. We do it when we study Boolean algebra texts, and when we read the great novels (and some not-so-great), and when we make a picture frame, and when we sit in the café, and when we operate our camera, or a lathe, and when we try to color—inside the lines or not, as is most suitable to our objective.

With a little luck, all play is learning, and learning is our work.

Now that I am retired, I can work all day long. Some think it is play. I certainly hope so.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Who cares Fahim, it's wonderfully evocative who needs more? I was in the hospital yesterday to see my orthopaedist. In the orthopaedic clinic they have handing on the wall some 50 photos, around letter size, all hand prints of the hospital taken in the '30's. A very talented photographer using a lens that flared wonderfully inside that old hospital from the various windows giving everything an ethereal and glowing look. I certainly enjoyed those old photos far more than what the doctor had to say!

fahim mohammed

Who cares Fahim, it's wonderfully evocative who needs more? I was in the hospital yesterday to see my orthopaedist. In the orthopaedic clinic they have handing on the wall some 50 photos, around letter size, all hand prints of the hospital taken in the '30's. A very talented photographer using a lens that flared wonderfully inside that old hospital from the various windows giving everything an ethereal and glowing look. I certainly enjoyed those old photos far more than what the doctor had to say!

Ben, as always, I am grateful you could spare me of your time. It is much appreciated.
Re: the doctor, hope he is a better medical practitioner than he is appreciative of the nuances and majesty of light!!

We wish you and your family the best.