• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Jacarandas

Sam Hames

One piece of local student lore is that if you haven't started studying in earnest by the time the jacaranda trees have started blooming then you're in for a painful exam season.

jacarandaUQGreatcourtP1000691.jpg

Personally, I'm just glad I'm not a student anymore.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
One piece of local student lore is that if you haven't started studying in earnest by the time the jacaranda trees have started blooming then you're in for a painful exam season. Personally, I'm just glad I'm not a student anymore.

jacarandaUQGreatcourtP1000691.jpg

Sam Hames: Jacarandas

The carpet of the fallen lilac-colored flowers is so evocative to me of of fairy tails or maidens in forrests and the days of Robin hood. Magical!

Asher

A elegant picture of the Great Court of the University of Queensland from in front of the Chemistry building. I spent years there and always marvelled at the intense but short-lived beauty of jacaranda blossoms. Sam Hames is absolutely right about the warning to students encoded in purple flowers:
"When the jacaranda blooms,
The examination looms!"​

Sam Hames

Thanks everyone everyone for your comments.

I've been trying to photograph them for years now- its hard not to be trite. They always stick out from the natives.

Sam Hames

By request - some more. Just jacaranda's being common and noticable for this little while.

jacarandaAfternoonSunP1000698.jpg

jacarandaParkingP1000771.jpg

There's usually one or two visible in any outdoor shot around this time.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
When I lived down south there was often an Illawarra Flame Tree planted nearby which contrasted nicely ith the Jacaranda. Do they do that in Brizzie, Sam?

Sam Hames

When I lived down south there was often an Illawarra Flame Tree planted nearby which contrasted nicely ith the Jacaranda. Do they do that in Brizzie, Sam?

I can't think of an example of the top of my head. Wouldn't surprise me if there were and I've never noticed though - I'm botanically useless so unless they were blooming right in front of me I would be clueless.