• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lake Huron Icebergs

Robert Watcher

It was a cold evening. Milder than some of the days we have been having lately, but still cold at -16C (feels like of -20C).

Anne & I were quite surprised to see lakers being filled up with salt from the mine, at this time of year. The tug boats are managing to keep the ice in the harbour, chopped up so ships and fishing boats can still get out to open water.

The icebergs out on Lake Huron, aren’t near the size or beautiful structure of those in the ocean waters - but they were substantial. These are a few pics that I took after sunset to day, at high ISO settings up to 6400 - using a long lens of 400-600mm handheld with exposures between 1/40’th to 1/250’th Second.

93228331-7B01-41C7-A00F-4D842F7CB044.jpeg

17455DBA-DB33-4CCA-AA55-A9685FCD4468.jpeg

F1C266EB-1B49-433A-BC89-B49E140026DB.jpeg

005748FD-DED5-4773-937E-BFF8092F461A.jpeg

9F8BC2DA-6D95-4E11-BFE9-E454FC87BB7A.jpeg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It was a cold evening. Milder than some of the days we have been having lately, but still cold at -16C (feels like of -20C).

Anne & I were quite surprised to see lakers being filled up with salt from the mine, at this time of year. The tug boats are managing to keep the ice in the harbour, chopped up so ships and fishing boats can still get out to open water.

The icebergs out on Lake Huron, aren’t near the size or beautiful structure of those in the ocean waters - but they were substantial. These are a few pics that I took after sunset to day, at high ISO settings up to 6400 - using a long lens of 400-600mm handheld with exposures between 1/40’th to 1/250’th Second.

C3AB6BDE-142F-4B9E-8D97-797888E178BB.jpeg

7C0FED02-770E-4091-8EE9-34376FBFA6B2.jpeg

Those icebergs are amazing! It must be that the water get super old below the surface and the frozen block of lake water rises!

Did you approach them by boat or from the safety of land?

I love your pictures, Robert. What a treat!

Robert Watcher

So what I am beginning to understand Asher, is that icebergs, form on land and break off, floating into open water - where their shape continues to change from lapping water on its sides, as well as the effect of melting caused by water below being warmer than on the surface.

The water in the Great Lakes is very cold and depending on the harshness of our winters, large portions of the lakes become covered with ice. Along the costal edges, there is huge buildup of ice dunes. I imagine the icebergs are formed there. BTW - the horizontal white line on the horizon of the icebergs pics, is a huge ridge of accumulated ice that appears to be 1/2 mile or more, out into the open waters of the lake.

Here is an interesting read about the ice accumulations on the Great Lakes - https://greatlakes.guide/ideas/do-the-great-lakes-freeze-over

Here is a bit of info I found on icebergs - https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/quickfacts/icebergs.html

———

I caught these images from the safety of land, using my longest zoom lens.

Thank you for your compliment on the pics.

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

I processed a few more of the images that I took last night. They were all taken with one handheld camera, one long zoom lens (150mm to 600mm), at very high ISO settings and slower shutter speeds. One more closeup of an iceberg…

9A99C93C-C168-4D95-BAF7-9D4E7072418C.jpeg

Robert Watcher

Are you asking if I have printed these images big? I haven’t.

Otherwise I wouldn’t know, other than that I have made prints in the past up to 16x20 and the odd one at 24x30 with files from this camera.

————