• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Large and Ultra Large Format shoot out....plus the 5D!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
As some of you may know, it's our ambition to have a good representation of all branches of photography so that OPFers can observe what is possilbe with different systems. Part of crerativity is the unique ability to be open to different possible ways of things happening. So for me that includes supporting an interest in film as well as digital photography and even combinations! Whatever floats your boat! So, besides Jim Collum, Jack Flesher and Eric Hiss in San Francisco, Will Thmpson here, Eric Deball in Texas and Leonardo in New York, we do not get many images from LF photographers. So we are trying to redress this imbalance. What better place to find enrichment than the folks at the Large Fromat Photography Forum. I needed to test out a Chamonix seome weeks back before ordering one, so I took Hugo Zhang to my favorite location: the Walt Disney Conceret Hall in Los Angeles, (which houses the Los Angeles Philaharmonic led by Essa Peka Salonen).

Well, guys, we did it! I really enjoyed meeting everyone from the LFPForum The location was, of course, the WDCH.

Brian Lowe, Gary Ayala, myself and others have found the WDCH to be a source endless possibilities in composition and effect. See some of their work here .The Frank Gehry masterpiece is takes on a different appearance every few minutes as the light is constantly re-distributed uniquely depending on the mist, clouds, hidden pollution, fog or the position of the sun or moon or stars!

One of the wonders of the event was a walnut 8x20 sheet film camera and tripod made by Jim Ftizgerald based on hardware from an old Kodak D2 8x10. He found the wrecked old caera on eBaY for next to nothing. He essentially rebuilt the whole camera.

He laminated thin strips so he did not need to use a router. This was made in his apartment, not using a workbench or any power tools. The bellows were obviously made new and the rear standard is just the same fittings as the original just wider. The camera was impressive. Jim took a bunch of pictures from early dawn from over Grand Avenue on the top of the parking lot. The sky was misty and the skyline was partly obscured. Later in the day, after breakfast when most everybody else was gone Jim sneaked up to the roof again and shot the WDCH again with the more contrasty but still very special light which was throwing interesting shadows on the steel curves.

The 8x20 film holders he uses are used but slide in well and the system works like a charm. Congrats. "Los", a cinematographer, Leica shooter, was hanging around being very friendly to everyone and was obviously taken with Jim's work.

_MG_8685_Small.jpg

Los and Jim

_MG_8690_small.jpg

Los and Jim

_MG_8692_small.jpg

Peeking in at the Chamonix 20x24!

I am looking forward to see the results of the shoot and especially Jim's work since to take pictures early in the morning an uncivilized hour is one thing, but to build the bloody camera, that's passion!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Just for reference, until we show more pictures and film is processed, we can show what is possible with our little silicon cousins. The grand silver negatives will not mind, I'm sure!

Brian Lowe, Gary Ayala, myself and others have found the WDCH to be a source endless possibilities in composition and effect. See some of their work here . The Frank Gehry masterpiece takes on a different appearance every few minutes as the light is constantly re-distributed uniquely depending on the mist, clouds, hidden pollution, fog or the position of the sun or moon or stars!

I am now working on LF and ULF of this building and am very excited to see all the artistic results that we initiated with everyone's LF and ULF work.
Thanks everyone at the Large Fromat Photography Forum for being so welcoming and Hugo Zhang for setting this up, contacting everyone and working with me several weeks back on with the 7x17" Chamonix. The 20x24" camera is remakabley light compared to the Polaroid 20x24" cameras (which will cause a herniated disk or two, a hernia and even a need for soothing ointments and a donight cushion)!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

I was in error. That's the Chamonix 8x20 on a sturdy Ries tripod with a 6lb head, 21lb altogether.

Here's owner Rick Olson socializing with Jim Fitzgerald Hug Zhang and Tri Tran (behind Hugo).

_MG_8751RickOlsenB&W&ColorCameraComposition.jpg

I like the way Rick's face is reflected in the ground glass. Actually the glass is so good, I could see the image of the WDCH without the dark cloth.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Now here's a treat. This is Mark Wood a super friendly guy. He'll share everything you need to know! Right now, hew's totally involved in setting up his Sinar P 8x10 camera. This is a swiss engineering marvel. Like the Arca Swiss and Linhoff, there are valued as precise studio cameras. However, if one can carry them, as you can see here, one has a fine instrument for exact and reproducable setting of the plane of focus to bring out the features selected in the building.

At this unearthly hour, the mist shrouds the concert hall. Remember, Frank Gehry has in his mind "sails" of the great traders that plied the oceans and the grand yachts that win races! So here the WDCH appears emerging from the mist, an almost nautical setting.

_MG_8632Mark_Woods_WDCH_1.jpg

With this format one can shoot in black and white or color negatives or color transparencies. Also there's Polaroid 8x10 in limited supply!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I did use the 7x17 Chamonix several weeks back at the same location in preparation for this shootout. It was fun. The cameras is so light and easy to set up. The ground glass is so great for focusing but one does need the cloth as the largest aperture was something pretty tiny, hence my love for faster lenses! It is beautifully made and is impressive. The controls are easy to access. The holders come in neat carrying bags, one per holder.

I have to scan the negative, Hugo generously provided the film and processed it for me with his feet rolling the drum on the floor, LOL! I'm thinking of a10x20" since one could use Aerial Color Film which is 9.5" wide with rollfilm back, Ha Ha!!

Asher

Last edited:
Asher, I was working so hard up to today that I haven seen the interesting things going on on the forumsphere. I have my 6-y-old kid just for myself because my wife went to Thailand for this week -no Thanksgiving in the UN-, but it makes me want to get out my 8x10 (also self made), but will let others do the work...

Asher Kelman

Asher, I was working so hard up to today that I haven seen the interesting things going on on the forumsphere. I have my 6-y-old kid just for myself because my wife went to Thailand for this week -no Thanksgiving in the UN-, but it makes me want to get out my 8x10 (also self made), but will let others do the work...
Well Leonardo, if 8x10 makes the juices run, how about 7x17?

OK, Asher, here are a few I printed tonight. The best one I have was a 7x17 negative I made after our lunch that day.
Thanks Hugo for being so enterprising in getting everyone together, even though you gave out my secret location! I stitched your picture but did not feal with the flare, just a little tonalitiy changes locally and some repairs to get rid of extraneous stuff. From the previous shoot with the 7x17 Chamonix, I take the lens to be the same 14" Golden Dot Dagor. Then it was at F/45. Efke 100 film rated at 50. I'm not certain about the aperture and film here, but I guess it might be the same.

Pano - wdch244 - 4268x1964 - SLIN1000

© Hugo Zhang 2007 Walt Disney Concert Hall Chamonox 7x17

I'm impressed Hugo. We need a huge lens hood for the Chamonix cameras!

This was a fun shoot, I'm looking forward to testing my new 8x10! I would love the 4x5 reducing back to have shift and rise!

Asher :)

Hugo Zhang

Hi Asher,

Nice posting! You are incredible and impossible! Anyway, I know you can't wait for your 8x10 Chamonix. It's coming soon!

Hugo