• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Let's talk about lenses.

fahim mohammed

p1574083876-5.jpg

Inside a temple, the lux 50 asph.

While inside another temple of sorts...

p1575535560-5.jpg

the lux 50 asph.

fahim mohammed

I am inanimate. But I do have feelings. I hear talk of ' gear heads '. I thought the discussion was about
gears as in gear trains, pulleys, watch mechanisms and of course cars.

I can relate to those. Want a bike to race..gears and gear heads.
Want to race around the track in F1 in Bahrain ( a country ), ask the mechanics about mechanics and gears.

Want to talk photography? Not a gear head or is it gearhead? Just use your eyes and memory! But that too needs to be put in gear.

Want underwater photography. Some might jump in with their cameras ( the non gear heads ) without
Water and depth of water dealings. Want micro ( or is it macro or Makro ), use your Lomo for gallery prints.

Did you see the Apple Product photography guy. What do you think he was using? Apple, and gear heads!!

Now who am I?

In this instance, I am a proxy. For all the photo gear that is out there. Including in the medical imaging field. Do you think MRIs are p&s imaging machines? Why the hassle with Tesslars here.

I think all of us serve a purpose. For the job or the owner.

I belong to an old man. I heard him say, he enjoys using me. It gives him pleasure. Like silk, he says.
Perfection in optics and mechanics. He uses me and various other cousins of mine..according to his whims.

I made one request of him, today. No sharpening, please. I am supposed to be used without it.
Even if he wants to use me for memories on his wall...

He is not a gearhead. But he does choose his gear with his head. And with his heart. I like that.

No sharpening today please. He agreed.

p1587641066.jpg

Why he asked me later? Because that is for headless gear.

p1587640998-5.jpg

I know I talk too much. But one has a reputation to defend and perpetuate. It is all about gear, as far as I am concerned. Without gear, there is no photography. Painting...what about different brushes and mixtures of paints...ask the gear head who cut off his ear!

They say we are mad!

Oh! Forgot to tell you who I am..

The cron 28 asph. You can call me The 28. I am known in knowledgeable circles as such.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
dominoes2.gif

Guys, can we please return this thread to the stimulating and interesting thread it was until very recently? Nothing good can come of what has just happened....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
dominoes2.gif

Guys, can we please return this thread to the stimulating and interesting thread it was until very recently? Nothing good can come of what has just happened....

Thanks, Ben,

Anyone can say what they want, but then, every so often we do get housecleaning in, trust me!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
p1587641066.jpg

Fahim Mohammed said:
Oh! Forgot to tell you who I am..

The cron 28 asph. You can call me The 28. I am known in knowledgeable circles as such.

@ "The 28",

Well, in this case, I'm pleased to meet you.

@ Fahim,

I have only every used one lens and think it was this one. I'll have to check! Meanwhile, I'm impressed at where you pointed her!

Asher

fahim mohammed

p1587641066.jpg

@ "The 28",

Well, in this case, I'm pleased to meet you.

@ Fahim,

I have only every used one lens and think it was this one. I'll have to check! Meanwhile, I'm impressed at where you pointed her!

Asher

The old man pointed me here and there.

p1587640970-5.jpg

I hope the old man appreciates the service I have given him.

Jerome Marot

Let me present a lens that is relatively unknown, the Minolta AF 24-105mm F3.5-4.5 (also sold under the Sony brand). 24-105 are very versatile zooms, Canon has the 24-105 f/4.0 IS USM, a "L series" lens, very serious and very professional. Nikon has the 24-120mm f/4G ED VR AF-S, also very serious and very professional. Every photographer knows that they are "pro zooms", because of their constant aperture, built-in stabilization and weight.

Minolta only had the AF 24-105mm F3.5-4.5, no stabilization (not needed, since the cameras are stabilized), no constant aperture (but faster than the competition for most of the range), no built-in USM of AF-S motor (called SSM in Minolta speak) and only 432g. It is not much bigger than your typical prime.

Because of its small size and weight, it is one of my preferred lenses when I need a zoom.

Cem_Usakligil

Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 G ED. I am liking this lens very much as an all-purpose lens.

i02377.jpg

@70mm-f4.5

i04049.jpg

@24mm-f11

i03226.jpg

@35mm-f11

i02801.jpg

@50mm-f11​

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Walking in and around the Municipality buildings around 8pm last night. Funny to think about all the hassle people get photographing anywhere near government buildings in the US or UK but in Jerusalem where the security threat is far more immediate, me and my students could walk around the entire complex photographing, the only security guard to come up to me was a guy I had been in school with 15 years ago back in the UK who recognised me and came over for a chat :)
For anyone in Jerusalem City Centre at night I can highly recommend a stroll through the municipality complex, beautiful architecture cleverly lit, a very peaceful stroll.

iriya.jpg

Iriya

Canon 5D3, 50L @f1.2 iso 3200

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
For the past couple of months I'd been feeling out of it, almost like I'd lost my mojo. I got myself a new electric bike and in the thrill of having new found mobility I just didn't have the drive to shoot much. A month and a half had gone past and I hadn't shot anything meaningful. I'd been in work of course, I'd shot commercial, charity and portrait stuff, but it wasn't anything personal, anything that would fulfil me artistically. I was beginning to worry whether or not I had lost interest somewhat.

I had a crazy day in work yesterday and when I was done I said screw it, hopped onto my bike and biked off to the Old City. Spent two glorious hours there, even venturing as far as Damascus Gate which was somewhat brave of me at this time of year (there have been 3 stabbings near there in the past couple of weeks) and I got two pictures that I'm happy with for all that I came back dehydrated and with a splitting headache by the end of it.

Canon 50L wide open. Incredible lens when it actually hits focus, just wish it did it more often, it's a very temperamental lens to use.

zion_gate.jpg

Zion Gate

remembrance_steps.jpg

Remembrance Steps