• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

LR/Mogrify plugin. My new Lightroom plugin.

Tim Armes

Hi all,

I've written about this on the Lightroom forums but I thought I'd mention it here too, since this is my "main" forum :)

Frustrated by Alamy's 48Mb image size requirement, and the fact that Lightroom's export feature can't automatically resize images by the minimum amount necessary to guaranty that the requirement is met, I've written a plugin to solve the problem and improve my workflow.

The plugin applies ImageMagick's mogrify command to exported images. ImageMagick is a set of powerful, freeware command line utilities for Mac or PC.

Although my motivations were very specific, this plugin could be used by anyone who needs to further post process images using mogrify, and I've therefore decided to release it free of charge. The plugin currently allows the user to resize images using a choice of resizing algorithm and reconvert the resulting image to another format. Users can also enter their own command line parameters to control all the other aspects of mogrify.

I'm willing to improve the plugin to expose other mogrify features via the user interface if enough interest is shown.

It's been tested on Mac. It should work on PC but I can't test it - feedback's appreciated.

You can download it here: http://www.timothyarmes.com/lrmogrify.php

Regards,

Tim

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Tim

that's interesting, as Bart talked about ImageMagick in that
thread.

Sorry for the ignorance, but if I understand correct, you' ve written a exportplugin for LR, (since the SDK is available now) loading the image directly into ImageMagick.

Now the question: I presume that ImageMagick is scriptable, therefore it it possible to define some steps, as downsizing, midtone-sharpening, saving, etc, directly out of LR?

So no need to touch the commandline? One could install ImageMagick, and the rest would be done automatically, with the help of your plugin, out of LR?

That would be a great help! As you can see from the linked thread, some people quite work for getting this best.

Michael

Last edited:

Tim Armes

Hi,

Yes and no. The plugin calls ImageMagic on the exported files as you suggest. ImageMagick isn't 'scriptable', however you can control all of its abilities through the command line. The plugin creates the appropriate command line and calls the command.

However only a few of the features are available through the plugin's user interface. For more advanced things you have to enter the command line parameters yourself. I'm willing to expose more of ImageMagick's features via a user interface if there is a demand.

Tim

Tim Armes

Hi Bart,

At the moment LR/Mogrify allows you to choose the filter from a drop down menu. Would it be useful to be able to alter the other associated variables such as the radius and the number of lobes, or is that best left to advanced users via the extra command line parameters?

Tim

Hi Bart,

At the moment LR/Mogrify allows you to choose the filter from a drop down menu. Would it be useful to be able to alter the other associated variables such as the radius and the number of lobes, or is that best left to advanced users via the extra command line parameters?

Hi Tim,

I think it works fine as it is, and it is a great enhancement for LR.

What might be useful for some users is an -unsharp parameter option applied after resizing, but since there is no preview it is already more suitable for advanced users. It takes some knowledge of the correct radius/sigma/amount/threshold values one needs to use.

You might also want to set the -virtual-pixel parameter to 'mirror' by default. I don't think it is going to hurt anybody, given the file types that LR supports, and it will reduce potential edge artifacts in most cases. It would have to be invoked early in the command string.

To Michael, I think the new(?) Welsh filter/window will turn out to be a perfect companion for the downsampling of PhotoAcute's Superresolution output to 50%.

Bart

Last edited:

Tim Armes

Hi Tim,
What might be useful for some users is an -unsharp parameter option applied after resizing, but since there is no preview it is already more suitable for advanced users. It takes some knowledge of the correct radius/sigma/amount/threshold values one needs to use.
Bart

Hi Bart,

I'm currently seeking input for the sharpening interface. I'm currently leaning towards using the simpler -sharpen parameter which I feel is more appropriate for batch sharpening. It's also far easier to use.

Do you have any comments?

Tim

Hi Bart,

I'm currently seeking input for the sharpening interface. I'm currently leaning towards using the simpler -sharpen parameter which I feel is more appropriate for batch sharpening. It's also far easier to use.

Hi Tim,

If you want to keep it simple, I'd recommend -sharpen 0x? , with the '?', the floating point sigma value, being replaced by user input. The starting zero will automatically select a suitable radius for the given sigma selection. I think a simple field for entering a value would be sufficient.

Sharpening should be done before the optional border is added, and it should be possible to skip any sharpening (one could use sigma=0.0 as an off-flag, or perhaps better a checkbox to (de)activate post-sharpening).

Bart

P.S. The 'Keys' resizing option from the V1.2 filter drop down list doesn't exist AFAIK (despite it being mentioned on the IM commandline options web page), it is one of the filter options (option:filter:c) that can be set for Cubic resizing methods. You can get a version specific list of available filters with the Mogrify -list filter command.