• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lumix GH1 UVIR, full spectrum converted

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Some first results using my Lumix GH1-UVIR, CERCO 94mm quartz/fluorite lens, Baader-U filter (for UV), Schott BG38 (for VIS)

1st set: UV image "as is", 2nd adjusted to taste

--> UV images showing otherwise invisible UV patterns.

Taraxacum (Dandelion)

original.jpg

original.jpg

Fritillaria (Checkerboard flower, albino form)

original.jpg

original.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Klaus,

I am amazed by how this lens shows the hidden patterns.

It makes me think that we humans make so many decisions based on color when we don't really see everything coming to us! So do these patterns get used in preferences for mating? Do the butterflies and insects appreciate the patterns made in visible light as much as UV light.

Also, I found this most wonderful thread on your lens here. So much beauty, great color, fine flowers and such a fine sharp lens!

How many $$$$$? Also how did you get the filter removed from the camera?

Asher :)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks for the kind words Asher!

Indeed, that combination of mod. camera, UV transmissive lens + UV transmissive filter reveals quite some interesting, otherwise invisible details. [Lens list price is indeed $$$$, made by a company that mainly work for space agencies + the military] Lens data is Here on my macrolenses site

These flower patterns are supposed to be a reaction of flowers to their pollinators to help them get fertilized (from what science knows so far). Invisible patterns on insects however do play a role in mating as far as it is known. Insect - flower interaction is quite a wide an interesting field and far from being fully understood.

Yes, that super-Apo lens delivers outstanding results w/o any visible CA also in the natural and that link you quoted shows some recent results. Unfortunately it does not cover FF sensors, ar eason to bring my Lumix GH1 into action!

Some VIS image showing total absence of CA even under harsh contrasts (which I love to bring out intense colors)...[shot using a 16Mp Lumix GH2]

5505809461_48c94d78b6_o.jpg