• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Street Color Magnificent Sunbird (Aethopyga magnifica)

Pao Dolina

That’s so beautiful, Pao!

Have you thought of a book of thes fab pictures?

Asher

Hi Asher

Great question.

Many approached and offered to publish.

But I'd have to give up my IP.

I thought of self publishing

But I fear my IP being stolen.

Looking back to Jan 2009... really wish I did not start this until after I did what people in their 20s should have accomplished.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
IP?

You can’t be meaning internet password, IP address or inpatient!

Do you mean “Intellectual Property”?

You don’t lose that when you publish. In fact that’s how you engrave your rights in people’s minds.

You also add a copyright notice in the preface!

Asher

Pao Dolina

IP?

You can’t be meaning internet password, IP address or inpatient!

Do you mean “Intellectual Property”?

You don’t lose that when you publish. In fact that’s how you engrave your rights in people’s minds.

You also add a copyright notice in the preface!

Asher
IP = intellectual property.

I recall your hesitancy of sharing your wonderful Fuji clouds for the same reason.

The agreement specific to the printing of the bird book with the publishers would be me giving up my IP for a fee for those specific images.

Asher Kelman

I recall your hesitancy of sharing your wonderful Fuji clouds for the same reason.

The agreement specific to the printing of the bird book with the publishers would be me giving up my IP for a fee for those specific images.
Not if you publish it!

You don’t lose ANY copyright protection, at least in the USA is you license your work as each license allows a certain quantity of copies in a certain media format. None of this puts your IP in the “Public Realm”!

Asher

Asher Kelman

That relates solely to publishing a very large version which private folk scoop up to a collection and then illegally use it without either permission or license.

However, if a company did that I would litigate and be handsomely rewarded for their brazen theft!

Asher

Pao Dolina

Not if you publish it!

You don’t lose ANY copyright protection, at least in the USA is you license your work as each license allows a certain quantity of copies in a certain media format. None of this puts your IP in the “Public Realm”!

Asher

I'd love to self publish but odds are I'd have a giant inventory of unsaleable books as the market for this domestically would be smaller than the print run.

Asher, I live in a country where in to be part of thee top 1% would require you to earn more than $36.4k/year and highest end min wage is below $11.50/day.

A fellow Filipino who works as a pro photog in Dubai had his photo used without authorization by management of Burj Khalifa. He tried to sue but their management just ignored his claims.

A few years later the case has yet to be resolved.

I have two pending IP thefts that I am trying to get resolved.

- was my 2010 image that was used in 2013 by a verified Facebook page with 4.7 million followers.. lodged complaint through Facebook this week and yet to get a reply

- a painter who asked that page if they can use my photo as a reference for her painting 18 weeks ago reached out to me and asked for forgiveness in using my photo as a reference for a fauna group. She said she didn't sell the painting.

I mentioned this before that I wish I delayed my bird photography from my 20s to my 70s as the joy to disappointment ratio is such that I would have preferred to do something else because the sheer number of IP thieves is so astounding. Not to mention the invasion of privacy of using one's real name on the Internet.

Asher Kelman

Pao,

The joy you give us by sharing your pictures is immeasurable!

Also you contribute to having folk value the birds which are natures gifts bering protection.

We don’t live forever but your pictures have a much longer life affecting people!

Asher

Pao Dolina

Pao,

The joy you give us by sharing your pictures is immeasurable!

Also you contribute to having folk value the birds which are natures gifts bering protection.

We don’t live forever but your pictures have a much longer life affecting people!

Asher
Asher,

Thank you for your kind words.

It lifts the spirits.

Now, if I had a DeLorean... I'd have chosen a different path.