• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Man on escalator

Chris Kresser

2481390781_45c8dff6f0_o.jpg

All feedback and comments welcome.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Chris,

I like the choice of subject, rendering in B&W and appreciate having a title as a guide. I'd love to see more in the series. U might have wanted more of the left sude or much less of it, but I am not familiar with the location. Still as it is I like it and if I had a print, it would be on my wall.

There are two people. A man and maybe a woman. So what does that mean?

Asher

Shane Carter

I see a nice abstract shot, well done, but not seeing a man...unless it is that little thing peeking over the edge in the middle. I think it might have been better to take the shot with no one on it and just taken the abstract....the people are so little it detracts. IMHO anyway. :)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Shane,

I see a nice abstract shot, well done, but not seeing a man...unless it is that little thing peeking over the edge in the middle. I think it might have been better to take the shot with no one on it and just taken the abstract....the people are so little it detracts. IMHO anyway. :)

I agree.

I might have cloned them out.

Then how would the advocates of TIP/WIF/VNF/VDP ("Truth in Photography") have felt about it? And would they complain that the shot doesn't reveal that the man has no pants on? And that the flood of people normally on the escalator at this time of day has all been held back by the photopgrapher's assistant to give a clear shot?

Chris Kresser

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I guess size does matter. :) Looking at the image on my 23" monitor, the man is quite obvious. Although I was primarily attracted to the interplay of lines, shapes and forms in this scene, I felt the presence of the man keeps it from being a completely graphic or abstract picture. That's why I decided to keep him in there.

The small object at the bottom right of the escalator actually isn't a person, though I thought it may be as well. It's some kind of installation against the wall. I considered cloning that out, since it is not quite distinct enough to make out but does draw the eye. I think I will actually try a version with that cloned out. I'm not a "purist" when it comes to that sort of thing. For me photography is about making pictures, not revealing an objective "truth" - if such a thing can even be said to exist!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Chris

Chris Kresser

Another version

Here's another version with my (lame) attempt at cloning out the mysterious object down on the bottom right. My cloning skills need work, as you can see. Is it too obvious?

2483357944_e47fed7a86_o.jpg

circles and arrows

The old round terminal at Charles de Gaulle (Roissy) airport has this sort of a construction, with escalators jammed tighly into a circular atrium. It has always felt very threatening to me, perhaps becuase the styles of the two building components are incongruous. I would like to see this setting more from the point of view of the man on the escalator, to see how it feels when inside.

scott

Chris Kresser

Scott,

Actually, I don't find the inside of this structure to be oppressive.

I do, however, occasionally feel that I'm about to be abducted by aliens. I wonder why... :)

2482584255_28dff4e8ec_o.jpg

Tim Ashley

Here's another version with my (lame) attempt at cloning out the mysterious object down on the bottom right. My cloning skills need work, as you can see. Is it too obvious?

2483357944_e47fed7a86_o.jpg

Hi Chris,

Since the first version you posted has disappeared I can't tell in a relative sense if your cloning is good - but since in the version I can see there's no clue as to where the cloning was done, I guess you're pretty competent!

And it's a really nice semi abstract shot!

Tim

Chris Kresser

Tim,

Thanks for your feedback!

I changed the picture on Flickr and didn't realize that it's not possible to edit threads here (am I missing something?). Anyhow, if the cloning isn't obvious I'll just leave the "improved" version up where it is in the thread.

Best,
Chris

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Chris
if your "changed" picture has the same name, it should load in place of the other… but I know that Flickr has sometimes bizarre behaviors…
Anyway, you may still repost the new one so we could see the difference between the two.

Another solution would be to PM Asher or I to edit your post but then we would need you to send the new URL…