• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

MF 6x17cm

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi!

Combining analogue highres AND compactness with super wide-angle i like to use 6x12 or 6x17 rollfilm-cameras. You can shoot handheld if there´s enough light - DOF is from about 3/5m to ? at f16 on a 90mm SuperAngulon.

The example was shot on a Kodak EPP 100ASA. It´s a bit grainy at 100% - using a Velvia 50ASA would reduce it dramatically.

Scanned at 1200dpi on a drumscanner.

www.klausesser.de/Boot.htm

Light was really low and i shot handheld by leaning against a wall - the boat moved a bit . . . but for handheld such a big format . .

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Karl. Yes, your picture is stunningm even hand held. You must post it here and larger just the left 1/3. I love the boat on the right emerging from the darkness and the diagonal stone wall separating the boat waterway from the open water.

I would suggest that everyone reconsiders limiting to digital their photography these days. Film has the ability to reach further for less!

This as a stitched picture would have required speed which is impractical when the light is fading so fast. By the time the first row of tiles was complete the next row would not match. If I was doing this with digital, I'd use the 21mm Distagon in portrait mode and start with the boat to the right and sweep to the left with ovelapping images. Still, the color picture taken in one go is to me really unchallenged in this circumstance!

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi Karl. Yes, your picture is stunningm even hand held. You must post it here and larger just the left 1/3. I love the boat on the right emerging from the darkness and the diagonal stone wall separating the boat waterway from the open water.

I would suggest that everyone reconsiders limiting to digital their photography these days. Film has the ability to reach further for less!

This as a stitched picture would have required speed which is impractical when the light is fading so fast. By the time the first row of tiles was complete the next row would not match. If I was doing this with digital, I'd use the 21mm Distagon in portrait mode and start with the boat to the right and sweep to the left with ovelapping images. Still, the color picture taken in one go is to me really unchallenged in this circumstance!

Asher

Hi Asher!

Here it is - changed it to 72dpi and scaled it 50%. You realize it´s not the crisp sharpness the lens can deliver . . but normally you wouldn´t see it so close as print . . :) (there are some jpg artifacts on the bridge´s wires from scaling and compressing a 300MB-file . . . )

BootZ.jpg

Rhein1024.jpg

Asher Kelman

Klaus,

The surprise revelation of the seabirds on the wall separating the two bodies of water is welcome and tells us there's life there and a lot going on despite the serenity of the very late evening scene.

With the leaves gone from the trees, the life of the spring and summer is suspended but life in the port area still goes on.

The picture has a deep range of relevant range of darkness. I like the gradual revelation of the boat. Then as the eyes moves to the left, we get the meaning of separation of different worlds. The intimate unknown life of the boat crew and their purpose, the world of the sea birds, the life of the two waters, like two societies, mixed but separate, then along the highway a bridge traversing everything and tying it all together.

There is a further revelation in the foreground. Plain mother earth, some mud, and old grass perhaps shell.

So this picture spans of lot of meaning and allows one to meander and get lost in ones own library of memories and ideas.

So this is a picture that I can commend. It invites, seduces and challenges us to explore but doesn’t assault us with opinions.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
Klaus,

The surprise revelation of the seabirds on the wall separating the two bodies of water is welcome and tells us there's life there and a lot going on despite the serenity of the very late evening scene.

With the leaves gone from the trees, the life of the spring and summer is suspended but life in the port area still goes on.

The picture has a deep range of relevant range of darkness. I like the gradual revelation of the boat. Then as the eyes moves to the left, we get the meaning of separation of different worlds. The intimate unknown life of the boat crew and their purpose, the world of the sea birds, the life of the two waters, like two societies, mixed but separate, then along the highway a bridge traversing everything and tying it all together.

There is a further revelation in the foreground. Plain mother earth, some mud, and old grass perhaps shell.

So this picture spans of lot of meaning and allows one to meander and get lost in ones own library of memories and ideas.

So this is a picture that I can commend. It invites, seduces and challenges us to explore but doesn’t assault us with opinions.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Hi Asher!

Thank you for your kind words! Let me tell you some words of a photographer, i always admired a lot:
Sarah Moon.

She said:
"Very often I say to myself: I would like to make a photo where nothing happens. But in order to eliminate, there has to be something to begin with. For nothing to happen, something has to happen first."
:)

best, Klaus

Asher Kelman

Which 6x17 camera?

It's hard to think that you got this picture with ISO 100 film at f16 hand held! At what speed?

Was it pushed?

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
Which 6x17 camera?

It's hard to think that you got this picture with ISO 100 film at f16 hand held! At what speed?

Was it pushed?

Asher

In fact it was an EPR with 64ASA. Exposure time was about 1/30sec. I couldn´t use a centrefilter - therefore the horizontal fall-off is a bit heavy . . but it suits the picture, i think.
I was very lucky the shot was not too shaky . . :) -- the wall helped a lot to lean on.

best, Klaus

P.S.: the camera was a DaYi 6x17cm from China with a Schneider 90mm SuperAngulon. It´s changable to 6x12/14 by turning two switches.

Sigh.... I seem to know this scene so well.....

I used to take the last train from cologne to bonn at 1:30AM in the morning and then walk all the way back from bonn to cologne center along the meadows of the river Rhein at night listening to Alexandre Scriabin's Piano works, a good 5 hours hike if you take it easy.

Is that on the Rhein by any chance?

I did not even know a 6x17 camera exists, and yes, my immediate thought was stitching, but you are right Asher, scratch that I can not move that quick. <smiles>

A stunning impression in deed Klaus, I imagine this to be a very nice piece on a stretched canvas. Torchon may be?

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hey Bear!

"A stunning impression in deed Klaus, I imagine this to be a very nice piece on a stretched canvas. Torchon may be?"

And: yes - it´s at the Düsseldorf banks of the Rhine. Just oppopsite the Ehrenhof. Stitching would have been a bit complcated with moving water and ships on it ;-) - but that could be done by rendering layers and erasing the things in the layers which should be eliminated.

But a one-shot at this size is more "consistent".

Btw.: i have Skriabin on my iPod . . :)

best, Klaus

P.S.: did you study music in Bonn?

Nope.... studied in cologne

Awwww... I KNEW IT.... this scene struck a bell in me.... I can not even tell you how often I made this trip.... All I know is that I left my boots in front of the door, and my neighbour made nasty remarks on the odor.... :eek:)

I have not been in germany since ages, must plan at some stage to visit again....

Yes, moving water, however, as it is "organic" movement, it may not be perceived as disturbing or "wrong" when stitched, if you shoot somewhat "in rhythm" I imagine....

Heck I just realized you are from that large parking space in front of cologne, D'dorf... :eek:)

I miss Koelsch! sniff.... Did you know they drink out of buckets in Ireland?

Malzmuehlen Koelsch, worldclass brew!

Not like that "Alt" that they brew in D'dorf with the wastewater from Koelsch production. hehehehe :eek:)

Sounds funny, but is this Da Yi the one that is marketed under the Shen-Hao Label?

Klaus Esser

pro member
Malzmuehlen Koelsch, worldclass brew!

Not like that "Alt" that they brew in D'dorf with the wastewater from Koelsch production. hehehehe :eek:)

Sounds funny, but is this Da Yi the one that is marketed under the Shen-Hao Label?

You know the story, where a guy from Munich and a guy from Cologne visited a guy in Duesseldorf and they went out for a beer? The Munich-guy ordered a "Weiss-Bier", the Cologne guy ordered a "Koelsch" . . the guy from Duesseldorf ordered a Coke.
The other guys, surprised, asked: "What´s that - you don´t drink a beer tonight?" The Duesseldorf-guy answered: " ahh, nope - you drink no beer, i drink no beer" . . . :) :) harr, harr . .

My DaYi-camera and my 6x17 back for 4x5"-cameras is labeled DaYi - but there is a 6x17 back from Shen-Hao which seems to be from DaYi . . i´m not shure. Well crafted stuff!

best, Klaus (i´ll put some pictures of rhe camera and the back here)