• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Milky Way

Six Shot Vertical Pano stitched together in Photoshop

mwpano-on1-nr-jpg.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Beautiful and such clarity. But how long was each exposure and did you use a tripod?

Are other galaxies visible within that sky?

Asher

Asher Kelman

14-24 @14mm, f/2.8, 16 sec per frame, tripod mounted. As to other galaxies...don't know. I am a photographer, not an astronomer :)
How do you know where to point the lens? Do you use software like
Photo Pills or the desktop application Stellarium?

Does one need to wait for a new moon to avoid moonlight making the capture of thr Milky Way more challenging as the sky itself is too bright?

Asher

You can see the setting moon in the middle of the frame, and you are correct in noting you cannot have both a moon and the MW in the same shot. I use Photo Pills to guide me to the optimum time when the galactic center is at midpoint above the horizon. There are devices that will allow the camera to track the Milky Way as it moves across the plain, but they are cumbersome to use and basically a PITA to set up and use. Doing six-frame pano's using a nodal bar to keep the horizon in line and to keep the lens orientation in the optimum position for focus works well enough for me.

Nodal Rail is a nodal slide, designed to adjust your camera's position front to back, thereby enabling positioning of the nodal point on your lens over the center of rotation. This allows you to create accurate stitched panoramic images. I don't get overly technical. I just slide the camera on the rail until the focal point of the lens is centered on the rail according to the lens' focal point - which is usually right about where the lens meets the body.

Nodal Rail

Asher Kelman

Thanks! Sure I use that on my Gigapan robots for 3D panoramas.

You are an expert on building magnificent panoramas, like the thunderously beautiful waterfalls, you posted, here!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Nodal Rail is a nodal slide, designed to adjust your camera's position front to back, thereby enabling positioning of the nodal point on your lens over the center of rotation. This allows you to create accurate stitched panoramic images. I don't get overly technical. I just slide the camera on the rail until the focal point of the lens is centered on the rail according to the lens' focal point - which is usually right about where the lens meets the body.

Nodal Rail
Hi, Chris,

It is actually the location of the entrance pupil of the lens that needs to be on the center of rotation. And just for thoroughness, there are (almost always) two nodal points in a lens. But that doesn't matter here, as neither of the two is of interest.

In any case, beautiful work. Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug