• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Monumental Modern Artistic Sculptured Architecture: Frank Gehry as openers!

Michael Fontana

pro member
sorry, I' ve been very busy, I will read and reply later.

Somehow, it doesn't loads Asher's photo.... ??? ..

Just adding a snappy from a unfinished Gehry - the third here in town - and holding the library of a big company:

Gehry_Nov.jpg

The 19 mm make the vehicles appearing to long.
At the right of the Gehry there's a Rafael Moneo - in which I'm taking the interiors these days... the exteriors will follow, once the outside is clean.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Somehow, it doesn't loads Asher's photo.... ??? ..
Michael,

Tell me if that's true now.

Just adding a snappy from a unfinished Gehry - the third here in town - and holding the library of a big company:

Gehry_Nov.jpg
This is good news. So we will get 3 Gehry buildings from you! Could you get inside the unfinished Gehry as the skeletons of steel are very interesting in themselves. Which town is this anyway?

I'm thrilled at this mother load!

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Asher
astonishing enough, your WDCH comes up in Safari, but not in FF....
even when I grab the URL in the source code, and enter it in FF 3.06 - it doesn't loads ...pffffff

interesting and nice to see it in b & w - you can feel its metalic scales, probably better than in colour, and a nice pano anyway!

Personally, I find it important in photos with multishape-buildings, waves, etc (not boxes) the vertical lines to be vertical. It calls the attention on the multishape, meanwhile the vertical buildings beeing just sort of reference.

No, I couldn't enter into the unfinished Gehry; it requires a aditional batch for the construction site. They' re still working for another year, the metal sceleton looked like a tree, half a a year ago. In april I should be able to take photos from the outside.

It's in Basel, in the triangle of Switzerland, France and Germany; the borders are 2 miles away from my studio.

I think it's correct to say that Gehry, with his sculptural, material-attitude has a counterparth in the japanese Sanaa-architects. Meanwhile Gehry builds a sculpture, Saana tries to make architecture *invisible* - I know, it' s not the correct term......

yesterday, I took photos of the japanese garden - with a 170 years old bonsai-tree - inside the luminous Sanaa-building, in Basel, too. When walking through that buidling, it has 5 levels, it's like flying.....
to put this feeling into a image, I made the garden darker, than captured:

Sanaa_BS.jpg

Asher Kelman

chasse1.jpg

© Cem Usakligil "Chassé Theatre, Breda, Holland by Herman Hertzberger"

Here is the important link to the architect which should be read as an introduction for those not familiar with the theater or his work! I missed it! Now I have followed this link, I can report that the building on the left was an old barracks. The inside of the building is spectacular with interesting columns, see here.

This, Cem, is remarkable architecture bringing together two very different styles. I do not know as yet, the history of the theater and the dates of each part of the buildings. It seems like the brick building was original and the geometric building to the right is the new work. It may be rather intimidating to a lot of folk to comment because of the risk of not knowing enough. I like the use of the vast cobblestone work to unite both brick and modern structures in one vista. Instead of recapitulating some of the classic forms in the brick building, the new work is stark and makes use of a triangular motif which is extended, on a vast scale, into a bold similar design in different colored stones in the cobblestones. It's as if the brick building is now totally surrounded in the new modern world.

The building on the right, however, is such a major departure and we'd like to see more of this and other works by Herzberger. I have not been to Breda, but will try to see this on my next visit to Europe. First I need to educate myself on this building.

Asher

Last edited:

Michael Fontana

pro member
Asher

here's a skeleton view from the Gehry in Basel:

f_DSC00772m_b2dddc6.jpg

©rafael, whoeverthis is...

Cem, the classicistic building at the left is parth of the Chassé Theatre, as well?

james sperry

i lost my external hard drive when i moved back to the states from germany. on the hard drive were some unique architectures. one of the structures was the,' hundertwasserhaus' in austria.
you can see it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundertwasserhaus. sorry this is all i can share with you. but if your ever in the area, it's a must see!! the interior is also just as unique.

the sad thing is that, hudertwasser remodeled this structure for the homless in austria and the rich are trying to get them thrown out so they can rent the rooms for themselves. (if they haven't done it already. last i heard about the issue was in 2003).

Michael Fontana

pro member
James

sorry for loosing the external hard drive - did it brake down, or do you lost it?

Asher

today, I could walk arround in the unfinished Gehry's; inside it looks much more spectacular, than from the outside. No camera with me, and I can't promise to deliver any interiors. For each of these buildings, you need a special permission to take photos.

BTW: the Gehry has some photo-voltaic stuff in the windows, and procuces untill 80 kW. Therfore the gray "color" of the windows. In the same time, it works as a sun shade. To get the shape of the building, some hundert different sizes of windows were required; leading to high costs. The entire building costs about 350 Mio of swiss francs, that's 300 Mio $.

Asher Kelman

i lost my external hard drive when i moved back to the states from germany. on the hard drive were some unique architectures. one of the structures was the,' hundertwasserhaus' in austria.
you can see it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundertwasserhaus. sorry this is all i can share with you. but if your ever in the area, it's a must see!! the interior is also just as unique.
James,

Any chance you have the drive?

Astrodome

OK so it's not a Gehry masterpiece but it is still an architectural monument from the past that still stands today. The Houston Astrodome was the first domed sports venue and was called, when first constructed, the eighth wonder of the world. Astroturf was invented for this place as well and it started something really special in the way of indoor sports facilities. I saw my first professional baseball game ever at this stadium. We drove almost 300 miles to get there and I remember it like it was yesterday. As we got close you could see the dome sitting by itself on the horizon. It looked so huge and amazing. Now it is sitting right next to the Houston Texan's new digs, Reliant Stadium, and it looks so much smaller than I remember. Compared to other, more modern facilities now, I suppose it is not so spectacular, but since it was the first, and since it played a part in my own life, I still feel it is something extremely special and am glad that it is still around rather than being demolished like so many others that came after it.

_DSC5587.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
Asher

here's the first of ours Gehry's - actually we have 6 from him in the aerea. Two are smaller buildings like a museum's shop, but that one shows the Vitra Design Museum, from 1989:

Gehry_800pix.jpg

We have very nice light at the moment, for doing architecture photography.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Bonsoir Nicolas

yes - I' ve another angle - but to get a good one I had to go early in the morning; which is not possible these days; from the south, there's bloody fence.

Anyway, I just went with my son biking and grabed the cam with the 28 mm; and that's the result.

Michael Fontana

pro member
ok, here's the opposite site, but I like the first view much better:

Gehry-entry_800_c.jpg

BTW: at the right of the museum, there's another Gehry - a production hall.

In the opposite direction of town and a handheld stitch out of 5 images, and yes a Gehry, too:

Gehry_Birs_c.jpg

Asher Kelman

Asher

here's the first of ours Gehry's - actually we have 6 from him in the aerea. Two are smaller buildings like a museum's shop, but that one shows the Vitra Design Museum, from 1989:

Gehry_800pix.jpg

We have very nice light at the moment, for doing architecture photography.
Michael,

This is a simple gem of a design. Reminds me of a quaint lighthouse in it's light airy feeling. Thanks for sharing. Are those the original colors in the second building?

I am still locked into the architecture of Walt disney concert Hall and am continually finding parts I've missed!

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Michael,

This is a simple gem of a design. Reminds me of a quaint lighthouse in it's light airy feeling. Thanks for sharing. Are those the original colors in the second building?

I am still locked into the architecture of Walt disney concert Hall and am continually finding parts I've missed!

Asher

Asher,

the white Gehry is very nice, inside as well; it's the Vitra Design Museum - the first building of Gehry in Europe - and show furnitures, etc inside. If I would have more time.... these days...

yep, the 2nd one has the original colors, and is from 1994.

Just walkin a few meters, it looks surprisingly different:

Gehryhinten_c.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Just walkin a few meters, it looks surprisingly different:

Yes, absolutely! this is typical of all Gehry's building, I love that! thank you Michael for sharing.
And for my own (and others) pleasure, I have put both images side to side… (well I can see them side by side on the large monitor…; -)
Gehryhinten_c.jpg
-
Gehry_Birs_c.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
Another one - interesting for the position of the camera:

Gehry-mitte2_c.jpg

While the orientation is more paralell to the parking places, the building itself shows up better in the first example, from post 44.

Asher Kelman

Michael,

You are so right! This picture is much better! I would make no concession for those parking spaces. The original image is so strong!

Gehry_Birs_c.jpg

I'd simply tidy up the lateral two partial white lines if that is bothersome.

One needs this angle to get the fullness of the architecture.

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
One needs this angle to get the fullness of the architecture. Asher
Yep Asher,
its a handheld stitch from 5 vertical images with the distagon 28, resulting in a 83 x 58 deg-stitch, corresponding about a 19 mm in FF. I only had that 28 mm with me...

It would be much easier to show some details only; but as you say: it needs that angle, and the entire building, to do justice.