• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My better half's orchids

It's back to photographing flowers again as I have not had much time to get out for anything else. This is a photo of some orchids of some kind that my wife picked up at the local grocer. I really like the colors but wonder if they actually raise them this way or are they dyed to give these colors. I am seeing more and more really brightly colored flowers and they almost seem unreal somehow. I am going on the assumption that it is real. It makes me feel better. Rachel has me fiddling around more with Photoshop as well. The second image is one that I took awhile ago that I just worked a little with the history brush. It gives it a kind of somber feel I think.
_DSC3102.jpg

flowerrevisit.jpg

Barry Johnston

Orchids and flowers....

Hi James,

I know little about orchids, but I agree, the colour does seem a little 'unusual'. Last year I took some photos at an orchid show near where I live and and was amazed at some of the different colours and varieties available. Your orchid is beautiful all the same....

I certainly do like the PS work you did to the second one though, do you have a workflow for this you'd like to share ?

Best Regards,
Barry.

Sorry for the late response Barry but by the looks of your orchid, you didn't need it afterall. Mine was done very simply by desaturating the color and then painting with the history brush (PSCS3) the areas that I wanted to bring the color back to. Is this the way you did it in yours? James

Barry Johnston

Orchids

Many thanks for the reply James...

I did finally work out how to create this effect. However, my method differed from yours slightly.... I haven't yet worked out how to find the history brush ! Instead I created a layer and erased carefully around the outer edge of the flower, although this is time consuming and prone to errors. The effect is still the same, but if you look carefully at my flower, you can see a definite edge around one of the petals... I think your way would be easier and quicker perhaps, but I will look for the history brush.... or maybe you could point me to it !!

Many Thanks,
Barry

In my Photoshop CS3 toolbox it is directly under the clone stamp. You can just press Y however and it will bring up the history brush directly.