• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Meeting with Pentax Today...

Hello Everybody...

I spent four and one half hours with the heads of Pentax today. Now before I share the news I can share with you at this time, there are a couple of issues I wish to address. Anyone wishing to purchase a K100 or K10D, do so. These models will be with us till at least next year. I would not make this announcement if I felt that it would affect negatively the sales of Pentax in any way, therefore this proviso. The two above cameras will be part of the line.

Here is what will be added and this does not include the 645D.

There will be two (2) you heard it, at least two new DSLR's coming out in the Fall, that will not conflict with the K100 or the K10D!

There will be a slew of new lenses.

Pentax is NOT going out of business. They have just opened factories in China and Vietnam and are investing heavily in R&D.

There is a new marketing approach that is being implemented that will orient the retailers towards Pentax, which will be very innovative to say the least. This approach will commence in the European territories.

Pentax France is the most robust of all of the other European companies and are doing extremely well.

I will also add that Pentax are working overtime to alleviate some of the growing pains that some of you have encountered and will find solutions asap.

And finally, Pentax needs all of our support and as a family Pentax will continue to respond on a more personal level than any other company I have ever had an affiliation with.

The PMA in Paris is going to be an incredible event. We will be doing something that no other company has ever done and I must say that I spearheaded this project with the delight of all those at Pentax France. I will share more at the appropriate time.

Let's just say that it will be interactive and not virtual.

None the less, it felt great to be at Pentax today. The people I met were affable human and had a great sense of humor.

Ben

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Benjamin,

I'm so delighted to hear your update. Pentax has an aristocratic pedigree in making the finest optics and has been responsible for many quality innovations we take for granted.

The knowledge of a Robust 2007 Pentax company dedicated to digital photography will in itself make the major users think twice of just delivering unimnportant new models every 9 months.

Glad you are in a position to help this in any way.

Asher

My Pleasure Asher

Benjamin,

I'm so delighted to hear your update. Pentax has an aristocratic pedigree in making the finest optics and has been responsible for many quality innovations we take for granted.

The knowledge of a Robust 2007 Pentax company dedicated to digital photography will in itself make the major users think twice of just delivering unimnportant new models every 9 months.

Glad you are in a position to help this in any way.

Asher

My Pleasure Asher...I'll keep you up to date with news when available.

Best Wishes
Ben

WillGood

Hello Everybody...

I spent four and one half hours with the heads of Pentax today. Now before I share the news I can share with you at this time, there are a couple of issues I wish to address. Anyone wishing to purchase a K100 or K10D, do so. These models will be with us till at least next year. I would not make this announcement if I felt that it would affect negatively the sales of Pentax in any way, therefore this proviso. The two above cameras will be part of the line.

Here is what will be added and this does not include the 645D.

There will be two (2) you heard it, at least two new DSLR's coming out in the Fall, that will not conflict with the K100 or the K10D!

There will be a slew of new lenses.

Pentax is NOT going out of business. They have just opened factories in China and Vietnam and are investing heavily in R&D.

.............snip..............

Ben

Hi Ben
First of all, Ive enjoyed hearing Pentax rumblings/vaporware about the 645D from you, and your Pentax work a la K10D.........

What do you make of this?! :

"Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:20 a.m. (JST)

Pentax To Sell Tokyo HQ, Quit Low-Profit Ops To Lift Corp Value

TOKYO (Nikkei)--Pentax Corp. (7750) plans to sell its Tokyo headquarters and withdraw from less profitable businesses under strategies the camera maker has crafted to block a takeover bid by optical glass manufacturer Hoya Corp. (7741), The Nikkei learned Wednesday.
the text of the article includes this statement -

"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-lens reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and specialize in digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

Best, William

Paul Caldwell

Thanks Will

I had hoped that wouldn't be the answer, it's unfortunate the way companies seem to be dropping medium format. I would have thought that Pentax would have had a pretty nice market for the 645 D due to the volume of Pentax 645 cameras that have been sold over the past 10 years or so.

That leaves only Mamiya and the ZD for a unit in my price range and I have not been that impressed with the ZD.

Bring on the 1ds MKIII

Paul Caldwell