• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

natural light portrait

Anna Nowakowska

2b836ce5-ce24-4b0a-b70b-ac8f68ba2991_zps0cf7837d.jpg

Hi

since I am new here ( but honestly love it) I ask you for your opinion about this portrait of my dad.

Thank you.

Robert Watcher

For me, it is a wonderful character portrait of your dad (with a tad of his environment I presume). The lighting perfectly dramatic and Black and White tonality, very rich.

-------

Characterful portrait! The catch-lights in the eyes add a brilliant sense of presence. Too dark with a merger of the right shoulder and the couch. I'd subdue or remove the bright metal accents at the collar which compete unfairly with those perfect eyes.

Antonio Correia

A very dramatic and nice portrait.
I agree with Maris Rusis regarding the metal accents at the collar but I add something else:
Could you clone the rod (?) at the far left ? It looks like there is a window there... yes it is ! :)
And at the bottom left I would also clone that spot of grey. No, not the one from the sofa ! The other one lower...

The darkness of the portrait doesn't bother me at all. Perhaps a little bit more of contrast (or clarity) just on the lighted side of the face... something to try perhaps...

I also like the very shallow DOF. Is this portrait one among many or is it a "lonely" one ?

I dared to work on you image. Should you consider inappropriate I will remove it. Thank you ! :)
i-vcZgqwH-XL.jpg

Robert Watcher

A very dramatic and nice portrait.
I agree with Maris Rusis regarding the metal accents at the collar but I add something else:
Could you clone the rod (?) at the far left ? It looks like there is a window there... yes it is ! :)
And at the bottom left I would also clone that spot of grey. No, not the one from the sofa ! The other one lower...

The darkness of the portrait doesn't bother me at all. Perhaps a little bit more of contrast (or clarity) just on the lighted side of the face... something to try perhaps...

I also like the very shallow DOF. Is this portrait one among many or is it a "lonely" one ?

I dared to work on you image. Should you consider inappropriate I will remove it. Thank you ! :)
i-vcZgqwH-XL.jpg

I'll give my opinion on the changes (and they are strictly mine) - - - I far prefer the bright elements left in and feel that taking them out has changed the character of the shot for me.

The bright rods/bars on the left side help give me a reality of sense of the living room - that is gone when removed. Normally I would be inclined to remove them as well, but prefer it there. As for removing the shiny clasp on the man's shirt zipper, it takes away from the country or down to earth feel that is added by it being there.

Yes the focus now is all on the face where technically it is supposed to be, but it was the rawness in the original that I valued after looking at the photograph for awhile - more of an environmental portrait.

Just my 2 cents.

-----

Antonio Correia

I like your two cents Robert ! It is another vision or reading of the image where yours is deeper.

I must agree agree with you. It is a matter of opinion as yours is also a very valid one.

Good point !

:)