• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Need an advice between cameras

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Ricoh GR has special value in the one piece well built body, a fabulously sharp well corrected fast lens and then a miracle of an accessory 21mm accessory lens that will wow you too.

But that’s it. You have to be a traveler and like working on the wide side. It’s perfect for architecture, crowds, inside a train or the exterior of an entire train yard, workshop or factory floor.

It’s great for birthday parties or for museums where they don’t want pictures as it’s silent and one can point from the hip surreptitiously with the camera taught against your side but aimed by practice!

However the Olympus is also - tried and true system and has the miracle of I inexpensive zoom lenses to reach to 600 mm equivalent and grab a bird in a tree.

Look up Robert Watchers extensive work here, taken in South American countries. His use of various “Pen” and Pro MFT Olympus bodies documenting ordinary street scenes and interior life is extraordinary. Without the “across the street” reach, this would not be possible. Nothing matches the lightweight practicality of the amazing MFT zooms for wildlife or reaching into a dark cafe from the street!

But in an interior or for landscape and cityscape views the Ricoh GR is THE pocket wonder that can’t be matched

Frankly, having both is a great idea and get a helper/wife friend to carry the other one and have fun too.

A brand new, old stock GR I or GRI II is still obtainable and either would be a perfect choice and super thrifty!

I used my GR I for years until dirt got in the sliding lens cover and jammed it closed!

Hmm, I will send it for repair!

Asher

Julianne Thoms

The Ricoh GR has special value in the one piece well built body, a fabulously sharp well corrected fast lens and then a miracle of an accessory 21mm accessory lens that will wow you too.

But that’s it. You have to be a traveler and like working on the wide side. It’s perfect for architecture, crowds, inside a train or the exterior of an entire train yard, workshop or factory floor.

It’s great for birthday parties or for museums where they don’t want pictures as it’s silent and one can point from the hip surreptitiously with the camera taught against your side but aimed by practice!

However the Olympus is also - tried and true system and has the miracle of I inexpensive zoom lenses to reach to 600 mm equivalent and grab a bird in a tree.

Look up Robert Watchers extensive work here, taken in South American countries. His use of various “Pen” and Pro MFT Olympus bodies documenting ordinary street scenes and interior life is extraordinary. Without the “across the street” reach, this would not be possible. Nothing matches the lightweight practicality of the amazing MFT zooms for wildlife or reaching into a dark cafe from the street!

But in an interior or for landscape and cityscape views the Ricoh GR is THE pocket wonder that can’t be matched

Frankly, having both is a great idea and get a helper/wife friend to carry the other one and have fun too.

A brand new, old stock GR I or GRI II is still obtainable and either would be a perfect choice and super thrifty!

I used my GR I for years until dirt got in the sliding lens cover and jammed it closed!

Hmm, I will send it for repair!

Asher
Great review, Asher, thanks! I'll consider it while choosing a camera:) How many cameras do you actually have?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Actually I have too many. The Canon 7D Mark II is old in tgecreeth but has the extra reach for my 70-200 2.8 L IS with a x 2 x extender to reach some birds.

For low light I used the 501.2 L with a Canon 6D but unfortunately it was stolen!

A gem is the Ricoh GR, used is fine, for its superb 28mm lens! I need a new one!

But day to day, I use my Fuji GFX the most.

I plan to take out film from the freezer and start shooting with my film cameras again. A lot of fun. One way is compose and get the lights perfect with digital first. Very important when using rare or expensive film!

Asher