• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Needing some assistance

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I don't understand 'tags'

To assist Asher in his endeavours to make us famous he has politely asked us to attach tags to out images'

I don't understand.

Can you assist?

For example, what tags would you attach to this?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Actually,

James originally wrote a great starter for this topic.

I would simply ask what is significant to you, acerbic humor excluded.

Stairs, stairway, empty stairway, school staircase or whatever seems appropriate.

Two ways of looking at this is

1. imagine what instructions you would have to give to your assistants to find 10 pictures that would have so much in common with this single image.

2. If one is searching for this actual picture, in a database, what 2-5 words would be the most efficient way of retrieving this particular image?

Can you do better than my suggestions?

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Cheers.

I was covering the Periodic Table with my day student this week. As you know, elements close together bare some similarities.
I asked her to list the similarities she might identify as significant in order to place an unknown or newly discovered element.

Asher Kelman

stairs, urban, architecture, B&W, grain.

You could also add "Jérôme likes it", but I am not sure that tag exists.
Jérôme,

You are the master of succincticity!

“Urban” and “architecture” are so good here and I was reaching for them in my mind!

... but “B&W” and “grain” really help.

Ultimately, we can be seen online.

I have already confirmed that the past two days my changes go Google to list us again as our analytics are now alive and also new members are being attracted.

The transfer was traumatic to our www placement but now we are moving in the right track with the forum list page as the landing point.

Also I am getting an SEO consultant to help us out!

But key wording is important and allows work to be discovered!

Thanks!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Two lights, to rail, one flight, not night
To take, upright, not tight, not quite
Another sight, delight, or fright
Be quiet, step light, all right.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I asked my great grand daughter to help me. For this image she offered: CUP, WINDOW, SHELF, SUNLIGHT.

Is that the sort of thing?

Mind you, they were the last things that came to my mind.

fahim mohammed

Appropriate question Tom.

I would like to know how and where to add these sublime tags, though.

p.s I know categories, tags, metadata etc in WP!!

Asher Kelman

Appropriate question Tom.

I would like to know how and where to add these sublime tags, though.

p.s I know categories, tags, metadata etc in WP!!
In this forum, from now on, a box will appear below the first post in a new thread asking for “Tags”. These are the keywords that tell the search engine what the thread is about.

We just need dispassionate objective descriptions, as in a military resources survey or an insurance report!

So a rice field might have a keyword: rice field, Asian food production, rice blossom etc.

Although you might have, hurt you other toes or else fallen in love with a tour guide in that very field, unless the picture shows that, you can’t use any of those private thoughts in your keywords!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Thank you, Asher.

Of course not; my private thoughts are just that. Private.

In this forum, from now on, a box will appear below the first post in a new thread asking for “Tags”. These are the keywords that tell the search engine what the thread is about.

We just need dispassionate objective descriptions, as in a military resources survey or an insurance report!

So a rice field might have a keyword: rice field, Asian food production, rice blossom etc.

Although you might have, hurt you other toes or else fallen in love with a tour guide in that very field, unless the picture shows that, you can’t use any of those private thoughts in your keywords!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

From feedback, key-wording is not as obvious as we might imagine.

It can seem unnatural for a photographer to put aside, the “passion”, essentially thoughts, that lead to his/her pictures.

But I know we are all able to classify things objectively, as one would in reporting a list of stolen cameras and lenses!

In that case, there is no getting stuck on what to call a stolen Leica lens or a Gitzo tripod!

Now to our photographs. We are artists not librarians, after all!

So a lizard, (in an an otherwise empty picture), is simply an “amphibian” a “lizard”, and the like!

..... but not thoughts of “hiding from hawks” or the nasty behavior of a fellow in the pub!

That’s what I meant by “private thoughts!

Asher

Last edited: