• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New and old work on The Quiet Front blog

George Holroyd

Lawrence van Niekerk has been kind enough to include another one of my images on his blog, The Quiet Front (NSFW). It's nice to see that he likes my new style of presentation, in the form of seamless diptychs.

tumblr_n2lacmoXuD1toxq7no1_500.png

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Lawrence has great taste! Congrats. Your picture is very unique and stamped with your own feelings and style. That's a special gift you have made for yourself and to share with us.

I was interested in his "Promotions" each sunday on his blog and reference to a self-published book of nudes, "Mighty Nudes" Vol 1/2 by Thomas Kimmerlin. Not clear how it's edited and whether or not it's from this one artist, but there's analog photography that's interesting and, surprisingly, a signed Polaroid too!! I wonder if you can find out more and whether the sales might be trivial or a worthwhile stream of income? Certainly, your work would go in such a small book, but I don't know how you'd react to having your pictures published like that. What do you think of that work? I do like the informal format and perhaps it is an easy way to show ones pictures to a gallery, apart from slides.

Asher

George Holroyd

Asher,

The books by Thomas Kimmerlin appear to be self-published, consisting solely of his own work.

Lawrence is himself planning a series of books based on his last two years of blog posts. If I read his page correctly, he has already constructed his list of contributors for the first volume. The Quiet Front is primarily about editorial fashion photography, which is not exactly my area. Although, I'm happy to have been included on the blog several times over the past year or so, I don't expect to get a call to participate in his book project.

That's already a lot of books and I have no desire to add to the pile with one of my own. Rather, I have decided to concentrate on finding no-fee exhibition and publication opportunities and also to produce a series of small print editions for institutional acquisitions and individual sales. Lawrence has also graciously offered to help me promote the first of the planned editions and on March 30th, a promotion will appear on his blog for two weeks.

Asher Kelman

Georg,

I'm happy to see you expanding your exposure, here and elsewhere. As I've made it clear, I do admire your efforts and the resulting sets of work you have come to share with us.

Whenever you post you pictures and comment on other photographer's work, you increase your own web presence. Alain Briot does that. As a result, he has built a giant market for his work..and a collection of homes and some of the finest sports cars money can buy. The key is to get yourself known by your pictures being seen and linking back to your own website to increase traffic. When Alain is here, he contributes his own photography for us to enjoy. The key is to participate so one is known for having some knowledge of photography and being a reliable steadfast person.

I myself collect work from reliable steadfast photographers and so do my friends. The pictures are on my walls and serve to entertain us every day as well as entertain visitors. Also, I feel as if the artists I respect and admire for their photography, artistry and nature are visiting our home.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Lawrence van Niekerk has been kind enough to include another one of my images on his blog, The Quiet Front (NSFW). It's nice to see that he likes my new style of presentation, in the form of seamless diptychs.

George,

Your new work deserves a more formal introduction. The picture you show is even more complex than the diptych! Normally one expects two discrete panels, that's what one found in churches with painted panels or framed pictures. With photography we expect to see discrete panels. So your novel method needs some introduction. This one was confusing at it leads one to a variety of artists and away from your own work! your work is novel and important enough to us for you to directly introduce and explain your work and not have us take a meandering path to discover it amongst other works by the same kind supportive fellow and those he likes.

tumblr_n2lacmoXuD1toxq7no1_500.png

This picture is much more interesting and actually what I think you want us to look at. You've extended the term, "diptych" to include placing a second image inside the first. It totally unexpected and without an introduction as to your artistic path, a tad confusing.

no-7.jpg

This is much easier to look at and figure out your idea of a diptych with no frame separating the two images. You have even allowed the insertion of one into the space of the other. It's only a diptych is we imagine it from your point of view and get to actually find the link to the rest of your photograph in this series. Then when one feels the experience of the whole series, we can get your concept of a diptych where one image can appear in another. Are they floating in your mind or fused to the plane of the other image. What's your intent by using the word "diptych" which does imply a hinged pair of images. so I suppose, when that's flied to put it away, one image cam float over another, but I'm not sure that how you cam to call this a diptych. In any case, I like the picture built this way. i'd hope you'd introduce others here so we can understand your new "Continuous Diptych" format.It certainly adds another dimension, wither in story telling or allowing us to wander around and imagine what we like.

Do you introduce the image or just leave it to the viewer to make of it what they wish and happen on at that moment in their lives?

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Georg,
Whenever you post you pictures and comment on other photographer's work, you increase your own web presence. Alain Briot does that. As a result, he has built a giant market for his work..and a collection of homes and some of the finest sports cars money can buy. The key is to get yourself known by your pictures being seen and linking back to your own website to increase traffic. When Alain is here, he contributes his own photography for us to enjoy. The key is to participate so one is known for having some knowledge of photography and being a reliable steadfast person.
Asher

Thank you for this mention Asher. Marketing is a process. Posting is one of the many aspects of this process.

George Holroyd

Ok, Asher. Here's an illustration of how I came to refer to the images in my current portfolio as diptychs. In the case of the above, the two original 3:2 images were arranged vertically to form the 4:3 diptych. Both images fade to black at the joined edge, which adds to the effect. Many of the images in my current portfolio appear this way, while some others are nearly seamless, with the joined edge visible on close inspection. It's not strictly necessary for the resulting work to be entirely seamless, it just works out that way most of the time due to how I shoot and convert the original files.

tumblr_n4j8maYdaO1toxq7no1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4j8nkJwpl1toxq7no1_1280.jpg

The components were shot in 2012 and 2013 as part of the body of work that I began in Paris two years ago. I'm continuing the same style of photography here in Hungary and I am currently working with images drawn from both countries. This is a means of conveying the effects that these two places have had (and continue to have) on us and a way of working through the changes that are occurring in our lives as we continue our adventure together, living in Europe.