• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Sigma Foveon digicam announced

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I had posted it in my News post for todaty.

Sigma: Sigma DP1 A 7.1 MP wonderful smooth Black brick fixed lens 28mm equivalent (Ricoh killer, perhaps) but with the latests Foveon sensor! This look like a great way to have a foveon choice and cool way to get great files for B&W I expect. These are my feelings on seeing the descriptions only!

Yes it is f 4.0 and 400 ISO, but one could push that 1/2 to 1 stop and still work.

For daylight street photography it would seem great.

If you liked the Ricoh, look at this. This also has RAW and what should be a far better sensor.

Of course we'll see. My instinct tells me this is very special.

Asher

Roger Lambert

Sorry I posted, Asher. I had not seen your news of the day post.

Oh, yes - the other major complaint about the camera is that it has no viewfinder, and no hotshoe to mount an external finder upon. It must be quite small?

Asher Kelman

Roger Lambert said:
Sorry I posted, Asher. I had not seen your news of the day post.

Oh, yes - the other major complaint about the camera is that it has no viewfinder, and no hotshoe to mount an external finder upon. It must be quite small?

No "sorry", you just support my view that it's worth noting! We think alike, that's all.

A viewfinder is one of those things that people will have strong feelings about. My father-in-law only used waist-level viewfinders or the ground glass of a large format camera. So he'd love viewfinders!

I think that LCD screens are improving and with live viewing can be better sometimes. To keep a digicam small, no viewfinder is fine as long as the camera is otherwise OK.

To me, the usability requires holding and using the camera. This camera is shaped to fit the hands and look well made. The LCD seems large. I am positive about it if it has the quaity I expect from Foveon sensors.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Has anyone seen any of the new Sigma cameras?

I like the look of the little digicam as it has the same inside as the SLR, but just in a compact rangefinder type package.

Asher

Ray West

fwiw, the Sigma SD14 is due out in November (UK price approx £1100) The DP1 about the end of January.
DP1 specs - 14 million pixel Foveon X3, 16.6mm f4 lens, ==35mm va of 28mm. images jpeg or raw. Sensor same as for SD14
Souirce - uk AP mag 21Oct